Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #61
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You are bumping a 5 year old thread here.

No, not anything posted here.

You are mistaken.
Kindles more recent than the PW-1 are running the NXP (previously Freescale, previously Motorola), i.MX6 sololite soc, see:
https://cache.freescale.com/files/32.../IMX6SRSFS.pdf

The ARM, Cortex-A9, implements the ARMv7-A architecture.

Last edited by knc1; 07-27-2016 at 03:59 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:13 PM   #62
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Up until the K4, they were using ARMv6 CPUs, yeah (v6j, arm 1136jf-s). Since the K4, they switched to ARMv7 (Cortex A8, then A9).

EDIT: Missed a new page again, yay! ^^.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2016, 01:26 AM   #63
12v
12v began at the beginning.

Device: K3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

You are bumping a 5 year old thread here.
I'm aware. This was the most relevant place to ask the question. I'm not worried about arbitrary enforcement of ancient forum etiquette, although I'm sure you have some logical reason for being concerned.

Quote:

You are mistaken.
Kindles more recent than the PW-1 are running the NXP (previously Freescale, previously Motorola), i.MX6 sololite soc, see:
https://cache.freescale.com/files/32.../IMX6SRSFS.pdf

The ARM, Cortex-A9, implements the ARMv7-A architecture.
Thanks for the info. I should have clarified, I'm running a K3. So long as optware-ng doesn't have v6 compatible builds, I won't be able to use it. If anyone has indeed figured out a way to run optware-ng on the K3, please let me know!
12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #64
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I bump ancient threads too if they are the most relevant.

Most social conventions and unofficial rules never made much sense to me, because they are all-too-often based on the same principles as the Five Monkeys Experiment and the Pot Roast Story. Standards however, an entirely different matter.

https://xkcd.com/927/

There is no need to limit yourself to Optware. I made a full debian root that works in my kindles, based on instructions posted elsewhere by twobob. More flexibility but (if not careful) more memory usage too. Swap files are the key...

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-28-2016 at 08:23 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:18 AM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v View Post
I'm aware. This was the most relevant place to ask the question. I'm not worried about arbitrary enforcement of ancient forum etiquette, although I'm sure you have some logical reason for being concerned.
Please start a new thread.
They are very cheap here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v View Post
Thanks for the info. I should have clarified, I'm running a K3. So long as optware-ng doesn't have v6 compatible builds, I won't be able to use it. If anyone has indeed figured out a way to run optware-ng on the K3, please let me know!
New situation, new topic == new thread.

You said that v5 builds are available - use those.

Note:
There are reasons this thread has remained idle for five years.
But since you are convinced that only 'ancient forum etiquette' is involved, I will let you discover them yourself.
Advert
Old 07-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #66
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Note:
But since you are convinced that only 'ancient forum etiquette' is involved, I will let you discover them yourself.
Some people bricked their kindles with optware loop mounts. A good (but hard) lesson to learn...
Old 07-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #67
knc1
Going Viral

Plus, you can run 'normal' Linux distribution binaries from user storage, even when that requires using different system libraries.
I.E:
Use different system libraries **concurrently** with those the Kindle's firmware is built against.

The one worked example I provided can be found in the "ARMhf on Kindles" thread.

The maintainers of Buildroot even extended it to support the tool(s) required for the purpose.

Translation:
You are trying to re-invent a really bad wheel that has long ago been superseded.

Last edited by knc1; 07-28-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:30 PM   #68
12v
12v began at the beginning.

Device: K3G
Quote:

To be fair, the last post before mine was a little under 2.5 years old but I understand it has been idle for a long time, and for what sounds like good reasons. The main reason I posted here was that I was directed to this thread via the Kindle Hacks Information wiki page, which presents this thread and optware as the most current package management solution. I figured other lurkers (as I formerly was) who are being directed here might benefit from some updated info.

Quote:

You said that v5 builds are available - use those.
I wasn't sure if ARM was legacy compatible, but now I will give that a try, along with researching some of the other methods that you and geekmaster have mentioned here. If I figure anything out or have any questions I will post a new thread.

Thanks all for the info
12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #69
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
As @GM experimented, unless you go so far back as to hit an ARM ABI switch, then, yeah, it's fully backwards compatible .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #70
geekmaster

The ABI changed after the K1, but gmplay built for the K3 works fine on everything from the K2 to the KV (and probably the Oasis, though I need to publish my KUAL extension so somebody can try it without needing SSH).

I was rather difficult finding a toolchain that works on the K1, but I ultimately succeeded (as can be seen from the thread linked to the K1 "jailbreak" in the jailbreak index sticky thread.

I am curious though why some extensions pack two versions of executables for older and newer kindles (perhaps three versions if I add K1 support to them).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-28-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #71
knc1
Going Viral

If the executables use Java, then it is because the libraries are different between keyboard devices and touchscreen devices.
Old 12-11-2023, 09:48 AM   #72
crazyren
crazyren began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Wink install_optware.sh

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Make root file system writable
mntroot rw

# Change to the /opt directory
cd /opt

# Set the Optware feed URL
feed="http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/unstable"

# Download the ipkg-opt package
wget "${feed}/ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk"

# Extract the ipkg-opt package
tar -xOvzf ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk ./data.tar.gz | tar -C / -xzvf -

# Create the ipkg directory
mkdir -p /opt/etc/ipkg

# Configure the Optware feed
echo "src cross $feed" > /opt/etc/ipkg/feeds.conf

# Update the package manager
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/bin
ipkg update

# Make root file system read-only
mntroot ro

Last edited by crazyren; 12-11-2023 at 09:50 AM.
crazyren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 10:22 AM   #73
crazyren

Lightbulb update

updated code

[I]-m for mount only [/I]

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Flag to determine whether to mount the existing ext3 image file
MOUNT_ONLY=false

# Set the path to the local.ext3 file
LOCAL_EXT3_FILE="/mnt/us/local.ext3"

# Set the size of the ext3 image file in megabytes
EXT3_IMAGE_SIZE=500

# Function to display script usage
show_usage() {
  echo "Usage: $0 [-m]"
  echo "  -m   Mount the existing ext3 image file"
  exit 1
}

# Process command-line options
while getopts ":m" opt; do
  case $opt in
    m)
      MOUNT_ONLY=true
      ;;
    \?)
      echo "Invalid option: -$OPTARG"
      show_usage
      ;;
  esac
done

# Function to create and copy the ext3 image file
create_ext3_image() {
  dd if=/dev/zero of="$LOCAL_EXT3_FILE" bs=1M count="$EXT3_IMAGE_SIZE"
  mkfs.ext3 "$LOCAL_EXT3_FILE"
  cp "$LOCAL_EXT3_FILE" /media/Kindle
}

# Function to mount the ext3 image file
mount_ext3_image() {
  mntroot rw
  mkdir -p /mnt/loc
  mount -o loop,noatime -t ext3 "$LOCAL_EXT3_FILE" /mnt/loc
  mkdir -p /mnt/loc/opt/etc /mnt/loc/opt/share /mnt/loc/opt/lib /mnt/loc/opt/bin /mnt/loc/opt/tmp
  ln -s /mnt/loc/opt/etc /opt/etc
  ln -s /mnt/loc/opt/share /opt/share
  ln -s /mnt/loc/opt/lib /opt/lib
  ln -s /mnt/loc/opt/bin /opt/bin
  ln -s /mnt/loc/opt/tmp /opt/tmp
  mntroot ro
}

# Function to install OptWare
install_optware() {
  cd /opt/etc
  tar -xOvzf ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk ./data.tar.gz | tar -C /mnt/loc -xzvf -
  mkdir -p /opt/etc/ipkg
  ipkg -t /opt/tmp update
}

# Main script
if [ "$MOUNT_ONLY" = false ]; then
  create_ext3_image
  mount_ext3_image
  install_optware
fi

if [ "$MOUNT_ONLY" = true ]; then
  mount_ext3_image
fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyren View Post
Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Make root file system writable
mntroot rw

# Change to the /opt directory
cd /opt

# Set the Optware feed URL

# Download the ipkg-opt package

# Extract the ipkg-opt package
tar -xOvzf ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk ./data.tar.gz | tar -C / -xzvf -

# Create the ipkg directory
mkdir -p /opt/etc/ipkg

# Configure the Optware feed

# Update the package manager
ipkg update

# Make root file system read-only
mntroot ro
crazyren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 02:48 PM   #74
crazyren

Lightbulb Ipkg.sh

Here is a little script to automate everything sorry for the multiple posts on an old thread but I can't seem to edit them.

Copy the script onto /mnt/us/ and make sure to chmod +x

[#] First run
Code:
./ipkg.sh
[#] After restart to mount only and export PATH
-m param i.e
Code:
./ipkg.sh -m
[#] Installing a package
Code:
ipkg -t /opt/tmp install nmap
[#]If you use a different console make sure to
Quote:
Quote:
ipkg -t /opt/tmp update

Ipkg.sh
PHP Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Flag to determine whether to mount the existing ext3 image file
MOUNT_ONLY=false
# Set the path to the local.ext3 file
LOCAL_EXT3_FILE="/mnt/us/local.ext3"
# Set the size of the ext3 image file in megabytes
EXT3_IMAGE_SIZE=500
# Export PATH
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/bin

# Function to display script usage
show_usage() {
  echo 
"Usage: $0 [-m]"

echo "  -m   Mount the existing ext3 image file"

exit 1
}

# Process command-line options
while getopts ":m" opt; do
  case 
$opt in
    m
)

MOUNT_ONLY=true

;;
    \?)
      echo 
"Invalid option: -$OPTARG"

show_usage

;;

esac
done

# Function to create and copy the ext3 image file
create_ext3_image() {

dd if=/dev/zero of="$LOCAL_EXT3_FILEbs=1M count="$EXT3_IMAGE_SIZE"

mkfs.ext3 "$LOCAL_EXT3_FILE"

cp "$LOCAL_EXT3_FILE/media/Kindle
}

# Function to mount the ext3 image file
mount_ext3_image() {

mntroot rw
  mkdir 
-/mnt/loc
  mount 
-o loop,noatime -t ext3 "$LOCAL_EXT3_FILE/mnt/loc
  mkdir 
-/mnt/loc/opt/etc /mnt/loc/opt/share /mnt/loc/opt/lib /mnt/loc/opt/bin /mnt/loc/opt/tmp
  ln 
-/mnt/loc/opt/etc /opt/etc
  ln 
-/mnt/loc/opt/share /opt/share
  ln 
-/mnt/loc/opt/lib /opt/lib
  ln 
-/mnt/loc/opt/bin /opt/bin
  ln 
-/mnt/loc/opt/tmp /opt/tmp
  mntroot ro
}