Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
New Kindle DX available for preorder

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cm_cd_asin_lnk
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
This one actually looks nice. I hate those white devices, and love the graphite colour. Makes it more sophisticated, imo.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:57 AM   #3
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Hope someone gets one and manages to do a direct comparison of the new Vizplex next to the old. I find it quite interesting that the "50% improvement" is being boasted but not shown.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Hope someone gets one and manages to do a direct comparison of the new Vizplex next to the old. I find it quite interesting that the "50% improvement" is being boasted but not shown.
Yes, I'm wondering about that as well...
Old 07-01-2010, 02:03 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Somewhere around here there was a video showing the new screens from PVI. IIRC Dulin said it's a 15:1 contrast ratio instead of 7:1 or something like that. I agree I'd like to see it in person, but it sounds nice.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 AM   #6
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
The graphite color makes for a handsome looking device. I like it but I wonder what possessed them to change away from the white of all the previous Kindles.

Very nice to finally see a price drop on the DX.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:26 AM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Somewhere around here there was a video showing the new screens from PVI. IIRC Dulin said it's a 15:1 contrast ratio instead of 7:1 or something like that. I agree I'd like to see it in person, but it sounds nice.
Yes we've all seen the videos from Seattle, but there was no good juxtaposition of older and newer tech.

Sri said it was closer to 12:1. They can make up whatever numbers they want though...it doesn't have to adhere to any objective standard. Further, that contrast number makes a lot of assumptions that do not necessarily play out in the real world. The real-world text contrast of E-Ink is nowhere near what is achievable under ideal testing conditions.

I'm happy for Mr. Dulin, but I'm not prepared to take anyone's word for it that these are a significant or even particularly noticeable improvement. It's not hard to take a photograph, so I hope we'll see a few in the coming weeks.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:32 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes we've all seen the videos from Seattle, but there was no good juxtaposition of older and newer tech.

Sri said it was closer to 12:1. They can make up whatever numbers they want though...it doesn't have to adhere to any objective standard. Further, that contrast number makes a lot of assumptions that do not necessarily play out in the real world. The real-world text contrast of E-Ink is nowhere near what is achievable under ideal testing conditions.

I'm happy for Mr. Dulin, but I'm not prepared to take anyone's word for it that these are a significant or even particularly noticeable improvement. It's not hard to take a photograph, so I hope we'll see a few in the coming weeks.
It does say 10:1 on the page...
Old 07-01-2010, 02:41 AM   #9
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
Instead of social network and new screen and body color, any improvement on the Black Kindle DX?

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 07-01-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: removed link - enough is enough
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:53 AM   #10
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Well this release came as a surprise but I'm guessing it's important for Amazon to get something new out before the market is flooded with tablet models. The first one releasing a tablet with a 9-10 inch Pixel QI screen will get my money, yes I'm still hoping for the Adam. What will this new DX release do to the prices of the old DX?
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:16 AM   #11
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Looks like it completely replaces the old DX, no? Is it still available?
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Looks like it completely replaces the old DX, no? Is it still available?
The old DX is still available.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
I would love toe see the same comparison
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I went ahead and preordered one even though I'll be out of town next week but DH will be here. When I get back I'll compare the original DX (US model) to the new one. But by then I'm sure someone else will have posted photos.

I've very excited over increased contrast and with my bad eyes I'll be able to tell if it's a significant improvement.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #15
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
It's not hard to take a photograph, so I hope we'll see a few in the coming weeks.
You'd be surprised! The brand new Sony video cam I took with me turned out to be utter garbage! no stability, i had it turned on but it didnt stabalize any video i took. seemingly unable to actually get the white balance correct. Most of my stills turned very yellow. even 2 pictures taken within a second from the same position would come out differently colored. one usually very yellow

it went back the day after i got hope. I would have done better to bring my 3 year old Powershot.

So I apologize for the lack of pictures most came out truly awful.

What the ink guys were saying is that the old film is capable of 6-8 with it usually being 5-6 in use and the new film is capable of 15 and you will usually get 10-12 in use. The discrepancies have something to do with waveforms that I'd need a little more study to be able to explain adequately.

I notice for instance when i am reading on current displays,without a full refresh turned on, that the area right around the letters is actually whiter than the normal background gray. With Boox I can scribble with "white" instead of black. that white line i draw is whiter than the normal gray background.

So in normal use you will not get the full 15 but it will still be about twice as good as current.

-Charlie

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 07-01-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote