Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #121
Octochick
Zealot
Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Here is how to make a screen saver label in photoshop (should also apply to other basic photo editing programs)

Open the image your planing to use and make sure it is the size you want 600x800 or as close as possible. Under file, click new then pick any size, I would choose 2x3, you will resize it later.

It will come up as a vertical so under Imagerotate it to horizontal, if you want. Using the type tool, choose your font and write out how you want it to read. In mine I used one type for my name and one for Kindle, if your more advance in PS you can get more fancy. I also added a tiny flower I took from the image. Once you get it how you want.... got to Layers and hit merge visible.

Now resize the image to fit onto your image, I would make a duplicate and save your original so you have it. You may have to make a few guesses to get it right. Using the move tool you can drag it onto your original to see if it fits the way you want.

If you want to create a boarder... go back to file and open another new document, then fill it with a contrasting color. Drag your label onto and crop till you have the thickness of a boarder that you want...then merge these. After you position the label onto the image they way you want then I would merge these and adjust the contrast and sharpness if necessary. The save the whole thing as a jpeg.

Last edited by Octochick; 03-09-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Octochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #122
Seant018
Enthusiast
Seant018 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I don't know if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but there is another way to restart your Kindle 2 that does not require holding the power switch for 15 seconds.

If you go to Menu, then Settings, and then Menu again, there is an option for restarting the Kindle2. It might be hard to miss, but it is cleverly named Restart

Thank you very much for the ability to change the sleep mode pictures, I am much happier to be able to add my own personal images, or at least pictures of authors that I like haha (bye bye Oscar Wilde)
Seant018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #123
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by aormond View Post
Thanks! I used Photoshop to put the "label" on the image. I think the font is really what makes it look nice (Academy Engraved LET).

The images are from Kunstformen der Natur by Ernst Haeckel. A collection of the illustrations can be found here. Some of them are really bizarre/beautiful.
Thanks a lot for that link, a lot of those images will make great screensavers.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #124
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
What's the possibility of this making it to the Visual Kindle guide? I haven't been following the thread closely so I'm not completely sure just where the instructions start...

The Visual Kindle guide is a great doc this seems like a good fit for it...
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #125
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiationman View Post
What's the possibility of this making it to the Visual Kindle guide? I haven't been following the thread closely so I'm not completely sure just where the instructions start...

The Visual Kindle guide is a great doc this seems like a good fit for it...
Sure. I can add instructions for K1 and K2. It will take a little time to pull the images together (it is a visual guide afterall). If I can, I'll add it tomorrow, if not, it will be the end of the week.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #126
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Cool!
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:29 AM   #127
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Please make sure the visual guide also outline the uninstall procedure. Thanks. The visual guide has been really cool.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #128
FaerieFire
FaerieFire doesn't litterFaerieFire doesn't litter

Is there any way to keep a selection of the original screensaver images? I'm kind of fond of a couple of them. I'm digging around in the files but aren't finding them as separate files. Can anyone export them?
FaerieFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #129
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aormond View Post
Thanks! I used Photoshop to put the "label" on the image. I think the font is really what makes it look nice (Academy Engraved LET).

The images are from Kunstformen der Natur by Ernst Haeckel. A collection of the illustrations can be found here. Some of them are really bizarre/beautiful.
I love his illustrations. I've actually disassembled a copy of that book to frame the pages since I couldn't find the prints any other way at the time.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #130
FaerieFire
FaerieFire doesn't litterFaerieFire doesn't litter

I'm a little frustrated. I'm on PC (so no Mac complications), and I've done and re-done this hack twice and still only get a blank display when I'm done. I even switched all my images from .jpgs to .pngs, just to make sure that wasn't the problem. They're all grayscaled 600x800 images. Anything else I should look for?
FaerieFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #131
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Some nice screensaver pics!
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #132
Octochick
Zealot
Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerieFire View Post
I'm a little frustrated. I'm on PC (so no Mac complications), and I've done and re-done this hack twice and still only get a blank display when I'm done. I even switched all my images from .jpgs to .pngs, just to make sure that wasn't the problem. They're all grayscaled 600x800 images. Anything else I should look for?
Are you sure you worded the file name correctly? I it is screen_saver not plural. The first time I added an S and all I got was blanks too.
Octochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #133
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerieFire View Post
Are you getting a blank image every time you put your Kindle to sleep? Or do you see one blank image and re-do the hack?

I have one blank screen that I believe to be the thumbs.db file in the folder. I'm going to try deleting it to see if that gets rid of the blank page.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #134
EricnLA
EricnLA began at the beginning.

Device: K2
I, too, continue to be unable to make this work. I'm running 2.0.1 on a PCVista. The instructions seem easy to follow. But the "Update Your Kindle" option remains grayed out after several attempts. I've tried with pngs and jpgs. I've also deleted the screen_saver folder in system, created a new one and copied the "Update_kindle2_user_screen_savers.bin" file into root folder (which also contains audible, documents, music & system folders) a couple of times to no avail. Puzzling. Ideas? Many thanks.
EricnLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #135
twister
Enthusiast
twister began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and 2
I love the hack. Thank you Clarknova and Igor! It is so nice seeing my smiling kids face instead of a dead author.

What will happen if you have this hack installed and the Kindle tries to update via wireless? I was able to update to 2.0.2 but I did it it after restoring with restore bin file and then updating with screen saver bin. I updated to 2.0.2. with downloaded file. I'm a bit concerned that I will be out and about one day and the Kindle will try to update.

Thanks!
twister is offline   Reply With Quote