Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #1
Kermit21
Kermit21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Kindle 4 non-touch: Use without battery

I'm using a k4nt as weather-display for years like described here: https://mpetroff.net/2012/09/kindle-weather-display/

Now my battery died
I remove it, but the k4nt won't boot (just amber led). Is there a way to boot without battery?
Kermit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit21 View Post
I'm using a k4nt as weather-display for years like described here: https://mpetroff.net/2012/09/kindle-weather-display/

Now my battery died
I remove it, but the k4nt won't boot (just amber led). Is there a way to boot without battery?
What are you using in place of the stock battery?
You do need to have a battery in it to keep the battery management chip happy.
In some model/firmware combinations, the battery has to return the correct identification.

See a fairly recent post by geekmaster on how-to hack (literally) Kindle batteries in the developer forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
See a fairly recent post by geekmaster on how-to hack (literally) Kindle batteries in the developer forum.
Link if you need it Kermit21

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=274761
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks.
Almost a year old, I was certain it was only a few months ago.
I must be living in dreamland or sleeping too much or . . . .
Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Thanks.
Almost a year old, I was certain it was only a few months ago.
I must be living in dreamland or sleeping too much or . . . .
It has been a long year.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
Kermit21
Kermit21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Thanks. I followed the link, but it isn't for k4nt.
So there is no way to boot without battery, just a way to 'hack another battery to the old battery circuit board'.
Kermit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit21 View Post
Thanks. I followed the link, but it isn't for k4nt.
So there is no way to boot without battery, just a way to 'hack another battery to the old battery circuit board'.
The post is not model specific, it is Kindle battery specific.
Or to use an external battery, we have threads on that also going back at least as far as the K3.