Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #241
khahoon
Connoisseur
khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: generic
Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
The image I use is from MarekGibek's post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=139 and its in english.
There is one for the Touch and one for the Glo.
That is weird then. I use that version as well.
khahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #242
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook
Hi

Thanks for the image and the tutorials. I am able to run rooted Android on my Glo. The main trick is to getting the usb drivers installed properly after that adb install is your friend.

I installed f-droid and when I try to install apps via f-droid I am getting read-only file system error. Does anyone know how to get around it?
exachillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:26 AM   #243
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
adb driver: 2_vendor_id.bat

Hi,

The driver install was a pain on windows8.
The step that finally did the trick was in the german page but not in the tutorial (perfect for all the other steps, thank you so much ):
I had to click the : 2_vendor_id.bat before doing 3_install_su.bat

Maybe this can be added to Stasys'tutorial https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=213

Thanks again for getting it working, and sharing all your experiences

Regards

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #244
bulnes123
bulnes123 doesn't litterbulnes123 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by phj View Post
Some experience and news regarding the HD:
The image produced by Marek works on auraHD with some flash surgery, namely you need to retain the original image uboot,serial#,HW_CONFIG,waveform,etc stuff located in the beginning of the flash and change just the kernel uImage. In this case (maybe with minor modifications in the *.rc files, not remember exactly) the image is running!!
The display is perfect , bootanimation and all the screen seems to be good in full resolution. The strange part is the IR touch: the coordinates are swapped in both x-y and x right-left direction. Yes, it can be easily modify and I'm already done ( Beware: the kernel must be from naberius.de, it contains all the resolution changes we need and MUST be compiled with specific 4.4.3 toolchain as I see ). After that the touch working good, transfer all the points within the resolution (1440x1080) - BUT the system ( maybe the android part) does not allow a point which coordinate greater than approx. 1024, Unfortunatelly this means that the lower part of the screen not touchable - for ex. we have an on-screen keyboard, but can't press a key except from the uppermost line.
I used (because the original u-boot) different flash layout than Marek's Kobo Glo img - 1st partition is the ext4 system, 2nd is the data/cache and third is the w95 one - and it seems that vold not recognize the sdcard partition; both in auto and direct number mode probed in vold.conf.
At the moment we also have no light button as I see, but the power slider works well.
So this means that we will have Android in auraHD - sooner or later.
Anybody can help me to step further solving the touch coordinate problem???
Great news Can you post the image?
bulnes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #245
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Android Epub3 readers

Hi,

I am still unsure about the place this post should addressed. Surely the "android device forum" might eventually be better suited...

Leaving Koboland for Koboid, I am in search of a suitable epub reader... I mean and Epub3 reader.
ACCESS, the kepub engine, was not my best choice, nevertheless, I have to admit that most of what I find in google play are far below what Kobo provided.

- most of them are missing the popup notes (for footnotes).
- The other require a superior version of android
- the last ones are bound to websites and ask for password

Here is the list:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=epub3&c=apps

Hope it helps

Regards

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:30 AM   #246
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Ok I went through all the troubles and the hoops to get android working on my kobo. It works fine. I like it however it is not a true "reading experience" if you will. I tried couple readers. And I still like Kobo`s original reader and Koreader on my Kobo as a reading medium. Although I like Cool reader on Android better than the current Coolreader we have in the hacks.

The biggest issue I have with this flash is that when I turn the unit to landscape mode everything mubles jumbles pretty much, the coordinates are all reversed makes it useless. I had this issue especially with Moon reader.

Anyway, if anyone is interested and if there are no legal issues I can probably post my image so that others would not go through as much troubles.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:38 AM   #247
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Sergey mentioned plans to update his port of CoolReader to a newer version.

Any working image would be welcome, but which Kobo device are we talking about?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:51 AM   #248
exachillus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Sergey mentioned plans to update his port of CoolReader to a newer version.

Any working image would be welcome, but which Kobo device are we talking about?

Luck;
Ken

I hope that he updates Coolreader, it is a very nice reader with alot of features(Android version)

Mine is Glo. I can post an image after some cleaning. Although the only issue is I used my spare 32gb sd card. I am pretty sure it should be possible to copy all the data to a smaller card.

Btw does anyone know how to run this android image or Kobo`s original image on Qemu? I know it can run arm code but I have not been able to find a way to run this android image on Qemu virtual pc.

Last edited by exachillus; 01-04-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:27 AM   #249
exachillus
Banned

Hi

You can download the android image for Kobo from here. You need to merge the gzip files.

And you probably need a 32gb sd card for this image because I used an 32gb sd card myself. Not all the space is used

I added couple extra apps in the image like F-droid(open source apps) app store

https://www.adrive.com/public/5aasjx/Kobo
Old 01-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #250
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Turn off Screen light

To whoever is interested, this is the script I use with SManager, to create a shortcut for closing the light:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/mxc_msp430_fl.0/brightness

Last edited by embryo; 01-06-2014 at 10:43 AM.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #251
takikura
Connoisseur
takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle sony reader boox 60
Quote:
To whoever is interested, this is the script I use with SManager, to create a shortcut for closing the light:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/mxc_msp430_fl.0/brightness
Hi embryo

On my Androided Glo, your script results in the error "cannot create /sys/class/backlight/mxc_msp430_fl.0/brightness: permission denied.
I am a new with the Android system. I followed the procedure explained for stopping the blinking LED to create the script. I succeeded to stop LED to blink. But I have this problem with your script.
Would you help me, telling what could go wrong.

I also would like to stop the Tolino reader to do the following;
1. Keep trying to up-date itself to 1.3.0 version and fail.
2. Scan the SD card for new books.
Please let me know what I can do.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Takikura
takikura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #252
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by takikura View Post
Hi embryo

On my Androided Glo, your script results in the error "cannot create /sys/class/backlight/mxc_msp430_fl.0/brightness: permission denied.
I am a new with the Android system. I followed the procedure explained for stopping the blinking LED to create the script. I succeeded to stop LED to blink. But I have this problem with your script.
Would you help me, telling what could go wrong.
This happens when your not running the script as root.
Its difficult to say when the SU (root) icon (scull & bones) is pressed in SManager.

Quote:
I also would like to stop the Tolino reader to do the following;
1. Keep trying to up-date itself to 1.3.0 version and fail.
2. Scan the SD card for new books.
As I said in an other post, because of these annoyances I "froze" the tolino app with TitaniumBackup.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #253
takikura
Connoisseur
takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle sony reader boox 60
Quote:
This happens when your not running the script as root.
Its difficult to say when the SU (root) icon (scull & bones) is pressed in SManager.

Hi embryo

Thanks. With the su switch ON, your script works on my Glo.

Quote:
As I said in an other post, because of these annoyances I "froze" the tolino app with TitaniumBackup.
I found the tolino reader is good for learning German language because it uses QuickDic. It also render Japanese PDF files very well. For this reason I want to keep it alive. Any measures of killing just these two functions of this reader; up-dating and SD card scanning?

Sorry for not giving up. Can anybody help me?

Takikura
takikura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #254
embryo
Fanatic

Quote:
Any measures of killing just these two functions of this reader; up-dating and SD card scanning?
For the updating part you can use a firewall app like Droidwall or Root Firewall. Never used them myself, but they (or any other similar app) will do the job.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #255
Koboloid
Koboloid is on a distinguished road

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Any measures of killing just these two functions of this reader; up-dating and SD card scanning?
found this on xda about media scanning:

Requirements:
- USB Debugging: ON
- Root Access

Enter one of the following commands in terminal emulator, adb shell or in a script file

To enable media scanning on boot:

Code:
su
pm enable com.android.providers.media/com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver
to disable media scanning on boot:

Code:
su
pm disable com.android.providers.media/com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver
theres also an app named rescan media. you can find it on playstore or xda.

hope this is what you were after.

edit:
for the updating, you could also add the hostname of the update server to your hosts file instead using a firewall.
should both do the trick

Last edited by Koboloid; 01-08-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Koboloid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, glo, kobo, shine, tolino