Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
veroiatno
veroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 Wi-Fi 'screen damaged'

Hello guys ,
does somebody knows if this is possible to be fixed -> photo
I was traveling to Europe, on the way back was reading in the plane and before we land I put it back in my backpack. Today I got my leather cover and I just found out this problem with the screen. I'm thinking that something happened on the airport while passing x-ray scanners or so...
I am wondering if there is some way to clear the screen or any other way to fix it . Just had a conversation with Amazon's CS but unfortunately my warranty already has expired SAD story

PP: I got an email from Amazon CS (nice guys)

Hello,

I’m following up with the recent chat interaction we had about your Kindle device.

Thank you for contacting in today and taking the time out of your busy schedule. I'm sorry to hear about the issue with your Kindle device.

This is something we need to take into serious consideration, I've passed your issue along to the appropriate people as we continue to determine ways to improve the Kindle experience for our customers.

It is always important for us to hear how customers react to all aspects. Your valuable feedback will help us to improve the selection and service we provide.

Just so you know, your Kindle device is outside of our One-Year Limited Warranty. We'll be able to replace the device at a discounted price....

Last edited by veroiatno; 10-02-2013 at 03:34 PM.
veroiatno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You've physically broken the screen substrate - the thin layer of glass under the outer plastic screen. Nothing to do with X-rays.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
veroiatno
veroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud ofveroiatno has much to be proud of

I don't know how this happened cause in my back pack there were only clothes only soft stuffs and I always put it in the middle ...

PP: Maybe you are right .. found a link

Last edited by veroiatno; 10-02-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Sometimes the damage is done previously and just a small knock to your Kindle can cause the previous damage to actually crack the screen. Not that it matters how it happened, apart from buying a replacement screen and doing a DIY repair yourself, your only other option is to see if Amazon CS will offer you a discount on a replacement model (some people have been given that offer for out of warranty Kindles) or just buy yourself a new replacment if you want a brand new Paperwhite 2....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
veroiatno

I was checking ebay for new screens from China. I might also check if its worthy to buy new Paperwhite 2 .
Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by veroiatno View Post
I was checking ebay for new screens from China. I might also check if its worthy to buy new Paperwhite 2 .
I've replaced screens on 3 Kindle 3s with no problems (getting the smallest of the cable ribbons seated is a pain, but no real problem). I had very good service from AliExpress:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Amazo...420625691.html

Fast shipping and very good packaging. If you like the Kindle Keyboard, it's worth saving, I think.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
veroiatno

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I've replaced screens on 3 Kindle 3s with no problems (getting the smallest of the cable ribbons seated is a pain, but no real problem). I had very good service from AliExpress:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Amazo...420625691.html

Fast shipping and very good packaging. If you like the Kindle Keyboard, it's worth saving, I think.
Thanks, this is what I will gonna do! I really like my Kindle Keyboard! But I'm having hard time trying to remove the speakers. It's seems that there is glue or something... can't move them..
Old 10-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #8
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
There are a number of disassembly videos on YouTube (I'm mobile just now - tricky to look one up) that will ease you through it.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't know how this happened cause in my back pack there were only clothes only soft stuffs and I always put it in the middle ...

PP: Maybe you are right .. found a link
There's no "maybe" about it . Your photograph shows an absolutely classic image of a broken screen substrate. You can clearly see the curved line of the fracture.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
Supra James
Supra James is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+Wifi
Quote:
Thanks, this is what I will gonna do! I really like my Kindle Keyboard! But I'm having hard time trying to remove the speakers. It's seems that there is glue or something... can't move them..
I'm doing the same repair. There's no need to remove any speakers! The whole mid-plane assembly comes out in one unit. I started mine off by removing the 3G/Wifi module but even that is not necessary.

The most difficult thing about the procedure, I found, is getting the damn back panel off
Supra James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
tccsargent
tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'tccsargent can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: K3
It is pretty easy to replace a Kindle Keyboard screen, by comparison, say, to the K4 screen and those of the higher models. Removing the back cover is not hard if you do it correctly (you use a stiff plastic blade starting just above the right page back lever). Then there are 19 screws to remove, and one ribbon mounted connector, but no parts from the mobo need to be extracted. You can buy a replacement K3 screen on eBay for as little as $49 from US suppliers, and get detailed instructions in the process.

Kindle e-ink screens are extremely delicate and you can easily destroy them during installation, too.

Note that if you replace the screen of a K3 with 3G, you should save the old screen if your Kindle OS is less than 3.4. This is because the new screen may not contain the proper waveform, without which your graphics could end up washed out.
tccsargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
The same thing happened to my K3 Keyboard 2 years ago. Amazon CS exchanged the kindle without any additional cost. But that was within the 1 year warranty period.
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oecherprinte View Post
The same thing happened to my K3 Keyboard 2 years ago. Amazon CS exchanged the kindle without any additional cost. But that was within the 1 year warranty period.
A broken screen substrate is not a warranty repair; it's damage caused by the user. Amazon may choose to replace it, but you certainly shouldn't rely on it.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
veroiatno

Guys thanks for understanding! Just got the replacement screen. I did it for less then 15 mins, like somebody said the hardest part was to remove the back panel/cover. Now is like brand new even for me looks better than before... I don't know but I'm happy now! Indeed on the back of the screen there is glass which I didn't know about it. Anyways thanks once again and sorry for my stupid way of thinking that the X-rays could do something like this but I didn't drop it at that time so that's why I thought so. I might chat once again with Amazon's CS just to let them know.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Congratulations on a successful repair! Pleased to hear that it worked out well for you.