Notices

Old 09-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #151
RsH
Enthusiast
RsH began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab A and PC + RCA RCT6213W87M Tablet + FiGo telephone
However it worked perfectly with....
The Texas Tycoon's Baby by Crystal Green
So it is definitely better, but for some reason is hit or miss...
RsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #152
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RsH View Post
Just tried it with
The Italian's Inexperienced Mistress by Lynne Graham
and got
There are no search results.
Did it via the author and got...

The Italian's Inexperienced Mistress HP-2621 CR Apr-2007

so it still isn't perfect... Using Search the Internet 1.7.1 so this IS the new version from this AM...
I just tried that and it worked perfectly for me.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #153
RsH
Enthusiast

The M.D. Next Door by Gina Wilkins also did not work when searching for the book but worked fine when I checked via the author, and found the following in that list of books...
The M.D. Next Door SSE-2092 CR Jan-2011
Old 09-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #154
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@RsH - there is no point in comparing what you get from a search by book and author with a search on their website by author. They are completely different things. If you want to compare like with like, then use the "FictionDB for Author" rather than the "FictionDB for Book" link.

I think we have established that the FictionDB search engine is pretty average. I am satisfied that the plugin is passing the best it can to the website now.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #155
RsH
Enthusiast

Okay... It is improved. I tend to use search for book or search for ISBN rather than search by author since I hate scrolling down the lists of many of these authors, who have over 70-80 books in their individual lists. If I have the ISBN that seems to work best, and the problem with the book titles is likely due to something FictionDB is doing, since quite often there is no difficulty at Goodreads... Thanks for the improvement, in any case.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #156
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The Italian's Inexperienced Mistress by Lynne Graham
This search works fine for me.

Quote:
The Texas Tycoon's Baby by Crystal Green
So it is definitely better, but for some reason is hit or miss...
Not hit or miss in regard apostrophes, dashes or commas. I haven't found one to fail yet.

Quote:
The M.D. Next Door by Gina Wilkins also did not work when searching for the book
This failed for me too, but you can't compare search for book with the sites search for author. You need to use the sites search for title which does return this book just fine.

@Kiwidude This isn't a site I use, but it does seem any title with a period is not found via the plugin but is found if searching for the title directly via the search for title option. Other titles with periods that work when submitted directly to the title search feature on the site but do not work using the search for book or search for title options in the plugin.

M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action by Robert Asprin
Something M.Y.T.H. Inc. by Robert Asprin
L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad
Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl

In my library I have about 10 fiction books per every 1000 fiction books or 1% that have periods in them so if the answer isn't obvious feel free to pass on this.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-24-2011 at 08:58 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #157
kiwidude

@Walt - there is an obvious answer . This plugin strips periods from titles. This is because when I first wrote this plugin nearly a year ago I found there were a number of the initial set of websites that choked on them. Note that metadata download searches strip periods as well. When the plugin was first written it did not use the template processor, so I took the decision to hard-code and strip them always.

The downside of this decision is that if you hit a website with a really crappy search engine (like FictionDB) which is relying on exact matching, you won't get a match.

Now in theory I could go back through every other URL in the plugin and put in template expressions like {title:re(\.,)} and {author:re(\., )} and remove my "always strip" code. However unless I write special migration code that won't be picked up by every user of the plugin out there and it complicates all the urls.

As you say it is only a small % of books that will hit this problem on a small % of the websites it supports. If it is a big problem for people I guess I can revisit it. Personally in my daily usage it has never been a problem in its current guise, but then I don't use FictionDB. And I just accept that once in a blue moon the title I have in Calibre is not close enough to what a website has, and either re-search by author/ISBN or just manually on the website page that is opened.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #158
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Walt - there is an obvious answer . This plugin strips periods from titles. This is because when I first wrote this plugin nearly a year ago I found there were a number of the initial set of websites that choked on them.
Thanks for the explanation.

Quote:
Now in theory I could go back through every other URL
Forget theory stick with practicality.

Quote:
As you say it is only a small % of books that will hit this problem on a small % of the websites it supports. If it is a big problem for people I guess I can revisit it.
By definition a small % of books on a small % of sites can only be a problem for an even smaller % of people.

Defining the cause and reasoning is enough for me I was just trying to help out.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #159
JoonieB
JoonieB began at the beginning.

Device: None
This plugin has suddenly stopped working. I use Firefox 8.0 as my default browser and the plug in has worked perfectly before. Now although I can see the drop down menu for the options I have installed - Amazon.com for book; Goodreads for title etc - nothing happens. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling the plugin and restarting Calibre but no change.

Anyone any ideas/suggestions?

It seems to be a problem at my end - works fine if Firefox is not already open. Hmm!

Last edited by JoonieB; 11-12-2011 at 02:45 PM.
JoonieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #160
kiwidude

@JoonieB - I use this plugin every day, I have Firefox 8 (on Win 7 64-bit) and it works perfectly fine for me with the browser open. I suspect you have some sort of problem with either the environment variables or registry settings on your machine. Exactly "what" that secret setting is I have no idea, it is the Qt libraries that interoperate with the web browser etc. Perhaps a clean install of the browser may fix it. You should see the same "behavior" when for instance on the Plugin Updater you click on the forum link for a plugin, it all uses the same code underneath which is not specific to this plugin. Sorry I can't help further.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #161
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonieB View Post
This plugin has suddenly stopped working. I use Firefox 8.0 as my default browser and the plug in has worked perfectly before. Now although I can see the drop down menu for the options I have installed - Amazon.com for book; Goodreads for title etc - nothing happens. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling the plugin and restarting Calibre but no change.

Anyone any ideas/suggestions?

It seems to be a problem at my end - works fine if Firefox is not already open. Hmm!
Try making some other browser your default browser. And try it sometimes open with settings cause problems I had a similar problem long time ago if I recall correctly making another browser the default browser then going back fixed it.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:10 AM   #162
pherikit
pherikit began at the beginning.

Device: none
Searching "La Tercera Fundación" ("The Third Foundation", the best database in Spanish for sci-fi, fantasy and horror books), it works perfectly.

The url for author is:

Code:
http://www.tercerafundacion.net/biblioteca/buscar/resultado?accion=buscar&exacto=&tipo=autor&texto={author}
The url for title is:

Code:
http://www.tercerafundacion.net/biblioteca/buscar/resultado?accion=buscar&exacto=&tipo=titulo&texto={title}
Thank you for creating this wonderful plugin.
pherikit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #163
kiwidude

@pherikit - thanks for posting those links and welcome to MobileRead.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #164
asalet_r
asalet_r has a certain pleonastic somethingasalet_r has a certain pleonastic somethingasalet_r has a certain pleonastic somethingasalet_r has a certain pleonastic somethingasalet_r has a certain pleonastic somethingasalet_r has a certain pleonastic somethingasalet_r has a certain pleonastic somethingasalet_r has a certain pleonastic somethingasalet_r has a certain pleonastic somethingasalet_r has a certain pleonastic somethingasalet_r has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DX, Icarus Excel
Dear @kiwidude

thank u soo much for ur exellent plugin, it helps me a lot!

Could u please add this two turkish websites to this plugin? this websites are our "amazon".
if u could do that, it will be a great help for turkish calibre fan.
thank you again.

Code:
http://www.idefix.com/kitap/
www.kitapyurdu.com
asalet_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #165
kiwidude

@asalet_r - glad you are enjoying the plugin. I'm afraid that since I don't speak Turkish my motivation to add it to the plugin myself isn't there.

However you can add website links yourself to this plugin. It is just a case of working out what sort of search syntax it supports and setting it up in the configuration dialog for this like has been done for all the other websites. It isn't hugely technical but it does require a tiny bit of experimenting and investigating to work it out, as others have done such as pherikit posting for a Spanish site above.

Tags
book details, search the internet