Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
leplatdujour
Village idiot
leplatdujour began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3 + Onyx Boox i62HD Firefly
What to do with a Gen3 w/ a cracked screen?

Howdy,

A couple of months ago I cracked the screen on my Gen3 during sleep . Luckily I was insured so now I'm reading away again on a new Gen3, but I wonder: what (if anything) can I do with a Cybook that, apart from an unreadable cracked screen, is still functioning well? Should I keep it for spare parts? Use it as a giant USB key? Send it to someone with a functioning screen but a disfunctional reader?

What?

leplatdujour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Domas
Enthusiast
Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Sony PRS-505, Elonex (EB600E), Cool-er (EB600EM), Hanvon N516
The price of replacing the screen would be the same as buying another used reader. So I don't think it's worth it.

You could donate it to MR community or try selling on eBay (you could get 15-40$).
Domas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
readerdm
readerdm began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I have looked inside my Gen3, and it appears that the screen is bonded to the circuit board, probably with some sort of double sided tape. So, buying a software bricked Gen3 with a good screen would seem to be a good idea, but getting the screen swapped over without damaging it might be problematic. Perhaps someone elso has actually attempted replacing the display?
readerdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
my wife's cool-er has just given up the ghost. I think it is the same 'platform' as cybook gen 3.The cool-er screen is fine.

would this cybook with broken screen work with our cool-er?
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
leplatdujour
Village idiot
leplatdujour began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3 + Onyx Boox i62HD Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermano View Post
my wife's cool-er has just given up the ghost. I think it is the same 'platform' as cybook gen 3.The cool-er screen is fine.

would this cybook with broken screen work with our cool-er?

I haven't the foggiest, really. Anyone?
leplatdujour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:56 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
They are the same screens, so yes i would say
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
readerdm
readerdm began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Has anybody every switched a Gen3 screen before? Is it really glued to the circuit board, and if so, how hard is it to get it apart?
readerdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:40 AM   #8
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by readerdm View Post
I have looked inside my Gen3, and it appears that the screen is bonded to the circuit board, probably with some sort of double sided tape. So, buying a software bricked Gen3 with a good screen would seem to be a good idea, but getting the screen swapped over without damaging it might be problematic. Perhaps someone elso has actually attempted replacing the display?
No this is not a good idea, the display quality will suffer from such a replacement. When Bookeen (and others) change the screen, they have some part of the firmware to change, because each batch of screen are not driven the same way.

It will display, for sure, but you will be more prone to ghosting of artefact like this.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote