Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why are you buying a Reader when you are afraid to properly register it? This is not a privacy issue (IMHO). It's being afraid of something that you don't need to be afraid of.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:53 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why are you buying a Reader when you are afraid to properly register it? This is not a privacy issue (IMHO). It's being afraid of something that you don't need to be afraid of.
Enough, Jon. Your continued criticism of those who do not choose to register their devices has rapidly gotten rather annoying.

Their device, their choice.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2020, 06:32 AM   #18
NevilleMarvin
NevilleMarvin began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
For anyone curious, I was able to get this to work, for my particular definition of "work" -- i.e., I can sideload ebooks over USB and read them on my Glowlight Plus, without having had to register at Barnes and Noble. I of course can't purchase or download books from B&N (that was kind of the point of the exercise), but if in the future I change my mind (and move to the US so that B&N will actually let me create an account...), I can still do so. The process was completely reversible and non-destructive.

The basic idea is that the GLP is just an Android table with an e-ink screen. All of the B&N book stuff is a single app, and the device is configured to launch that app at boot-time, rather than give you the normal Android interface. So to use the device as you please, you just have to configure it to give you the normal Android interface, and then install an e-reader app of your choice (I chose KOReader). You can then side-load books and read them with KOReader (or whatever); and if you want to login to B&N and use the "normal" Nook interface, you just click on the Nook app and off you go. You can also use Calibre to load book over wifi if you want. (I leave wifi permanently disabled, and stick with USB.)

This thread, linked earlier, got me started with adb access:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...19#post3617019

From there, I used this thread from the XDA Developers Forum to get root access to the GLP:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/noo...ght-3-t3802331

Note that the above does not make any permanent changes to the GLP; it just lets you run commands and install and configure software with full root access. From there, I disabled the Nook startup app and installed the normal Android launcher and KOReader. To reverse the process, I would just deinstall the new packages and re-enable the Nook startup routine.

The only part that I haven't gotten working well is the warm-lighting. I haven't yet figure out how to set the warm-light level from the Android UI or KOReader. I can set it while the GLP is plugged in to my computer, by using adb shell commands. I will probably write a standalone app to manage this, or maybe write a patch to KOReader. But for the time being, I've set the warmth level to a value that I like, and I can change it whenever I want, I just have to plug it in to USB for a moment.

If anyone wants any specific technical details, I'd be happy to help.

Thanks.
NevilleMarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleMarvin View Post
For anyone curious, I was able to get this to work, for my particular definition of "work" -- i.e., I can sideload ebooks over USB and read them on my Glowlight Plus, without having had to register at Barnes and Noble. I of course can't purchase or download books from B&N (that was kind of the point of the exercise), but if in the future I change my mind (and move to the US so that B&N will actually let me create an account...), I can still do so. The process was completely reversible and non-destructive.

The basic idea is that the GLP is just an Android table with an e-ink screen. All of the B&N book stuff is a single app, and the device is configured to launch that app at boot-time, rather than give you the normal Android interface. So to use the device as you please, you just have to configure it to give you the normal Android interface, and then install an e-reader app of your choice (I chose KOReader). You can then side-load books and read them with KOReader (or whatever); and if you want to login to B&N and use the "normal" Nook interface, you just click on the Nook app and off you go. You can also use Calibre to load book over wifi if you want. (I leave wifi permanently disabled, and stick with USB.)

This thread, linked earlier, got me started with adb access:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...19#post3617019

From there, I used this thread from the XDA Developers Forum to get root access to the GLP:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/noo...ght-3-t3802331

Note that the above does not make any permanent changes to the GLP; it just lets you run commands and install and configure software with full root access. From there, I disabled the Nook startup app and installed the normal Android launcher and KOReader. To reverse the process, I would just deinstall the new packages and re-enable the Nook startup routine.

The only part that I haven't gotten working well is the warm-lighting. I haven't yet figure out how to set the warm-light level from the Android UI or KOReader. I can set it while the GLP is plugged in to my computer, by using adb shell commands. I will probably write a standalone app to manage this, or maybe write a patch to KOReader. But for the time being, I've set the warmth level to a value that I like, and I can change it whenever I want, I just have to plug it in to USB for a moment.

If anyone wants any specific technical details, I'd be happy to help.

Thanks.
I've never rooted my Nook or done anything besides use the basic software and sideload books.

Nook software gets smacked around a lot, but I think it would be fine if Calibre could access the database so series and collections could be handled by Calibre.

Is there any simple way to do that?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:02 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Nook software gets smacked around a lot, but I think it would be fine if Calibre could access the database so series and collections could be handled by Calibre.

Is there any simple way to do that?
Simple answer: No. The Nook's firmware does not allow user access to the database.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Simple answer: No. The Nook's firmware does not allow user access to the database.
That's too bad.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:16 AM   #22
elektrinis
elektrinis began at the beginning.

Device: K5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleMarvin View Post
From there, I disabled the Nook startup app and installed the normal Android launcher and KOReader. To reverse the process, I would just deinstall the new packages and re-enable the Nook startup routine.
How did you disable the setup process? I tried this, but nothing changed.
Code:
pm disable-user --user 13 com.android.onetimeinitializer

Last edited by elektrinis; 03-14-2021 at 06:19 AM.
elektrinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:43 PM   #23
jnieland
jnieland began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Boox Leaf 2, Boox Note Air2 Plus
See: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/h.../post-84661225
jnieland is offline   Reply With Quote