Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 08-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
FB2 creation

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is covered in another thread already; I'm not that good in using the search-function

I was wondering what English-language tools exist to convert things like ePub and PDF to FB2.
Currently I use BookDesigner or Any2FB2, but I was wondering what other programs exist. I also downloaded the OOoFBTools-package, which looks promising, but seems to be only available in Russian

Any ideas?
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
Kravejs
Kravejs has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Palm LifeDrive, Nokia N95, iPod Touch, iPhone 4, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is covered in another thread already; I'm not that good in using the search-function

I was wondering what English-language tools exist to convert things like ePub and PDF to FB2.
Currently I use BookDesigner or Any2FB2, but I was wondering what other programs exist. I also downloaded the OOoFBTools-package, which looks promising, but seems to be only available in Russian

Any ideas?
Hello!

I'm a developer of OOoFBTools package, and I have created the issue about localization: http://code.google.com/p/ooofbtools/issues/detail?id=1

I'm also planning to translate our package from our local language (Russian) into international language Esperanto.

I have also created google-group for your comments and sugessions: http://groups.google.com/group/ooo-fbtools
Kravejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kravejs View Post
Hello!

I'm a developer of OOoFBTools package, and I have created the issue about localization: http://code.google.com/p/ooofbtools/issues/detail?id=1

I'm also planning to translate our package from our local language (Russian) into international language Esperanto.

I have also created google-group for your comments and sugessions: http://groups.google.com/group/ooo-fbtools
very much! I'll check it out!
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
sweetcream
sweetcream began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
I don't understand at all. It's not a program and it's also unfortunately not in English.
sweetcream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcream View Post
I don't understand at all. It's not a program and it's also unfortunately not in English.
It's a plugin that works with OpenOffice.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
It's a plugin that works with OpenOffice.

=X=
Does it? I couldn't tell.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
Kravejs
Kravejs has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Palm LifeDrive, Nokia N95, iPod Touch, iPhone 4, iPad
So, the new version translated to English!
http://code.google.com/p/ooofbtools/
Kravejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 AM   #8
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kravejs View Post
So, the new version translated to English!
http://code.google.com/p/ooofbtools/

I followed your link and downloaded OOoFBTools-1.7.0.zip, but it still looks all Russian to me. The change log and PDF help file were both Russian, with no English version that I could find. Is there a different download link somewhere for the English version of OOoFBTools-1.7.0.zip?
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
Mneme
Serial Procrastinator
Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Asus MyPal A636, Hanlin V5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I followed your link and downloaded OOoFBTools-1.7.0.zip, but it still looks all Russian to me. The change log and PDF help file were both Russian, with no English version that I could find. Is there a different download link somewhere for the English version of OOoFBTools-1.7.0.zip?
If all you need is English documentation for the OOoFBTools-1.7.0 plugin, I could probably probably translate the Help file.
Mneme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:33 AM   #10
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mneme View Post
If all you need is English documentation for the OOoFBTools-1.7.0 plugin, I could probably probably translate the Help file.
Thank you for your kind offer, but I hesitate to ask someone to take on such a large task. I use Book Designer now when I make FB2 books, and it works reasonably well. OOoFBTools would be a nice addition to currently available tools to create FB2 books, but only Russian speakers can read the OOoFBTools_Help.pdf . I thought that this announcement meant that OOoFBTools had been completely translated into English, but it seems that is not completely correct yet?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
calibre supports FB2 output.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
Mneme
Serial Procrastinator
Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

BookDesigner is a nice tool, but I found when I was using it (about a year ago) it occasionally messed up tags so the file wouldn't validate. It was particularly prone to errors when creating endnotes. Are you able to use BookDesigner to create a valid file with endnotes without a tag mess these days?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:15 AM   #13
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mneme View Post
BookDesigner is a nice tool, but I found when I was using it (about a year ago) it occasionally messed up tags so the file wouldn't validate. It was particularly prone to errors when creating endnotes. Are you able to use BookDesigner to create a valid file with endnotes without a tag mess these days?
I only use Book Designer to convert HTML to FB2 for fiction novels and I do not care about TOCs or EndNotes, so I have not noticed the problems that you mention. Book Designer is no longer maintained, so I doubt that any of it's short comings will ever be fixed, and that is why a currently maintained tool like OOoFBTools interested me. But without installation and usage documentation in a language that I can read it is a bit out of my reach to use. I have looked at the OOoFBTools PDF documentation and can see that it is full of illustrations about the use of OOoFBTools, but the text accompanying the illustrations are unreadable to me. I suppose that I could use Google Language Tools to translate the text, but I have not gotten that energetic yet.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
Mneme
Serial Procrastinator

I have finally got around to trying the OpenOffice plug-in. It works very well and is now my favourite tool for conversion to fb2 format.
It installs in English (sort of, I think they used google to translate the text). I found the Help file not helpful in getting started, there's too much unnecessary technical detail and my eyes glazed over on page 2 It might describe the plug-in's capabilities in detail and might be interesting to developers, but I really don't need to know or particularly care ...

Basically what I did was the following:
  • Installed the plug-in via OO Extension manager
  • Opened the ExportToFB21_Test-1 document that comes with the plug-in and saved it as a styles template
Now when I have a text I want to convert to fb2 all I do is:
  • save it as OO document (whatever.odt)
  • run the OOFBTools Text corrector ( I've played around with the options and pretty much use all of them except the first box - removing breaks for hyphens - and collecting lines of paragraph broken by symbol)
After the clean-up I search and replace chapter name formatting. I load the formatting styles from the saved template. I like to have a TOC and proper chapter navigation in the file, so I replace whatever format was used for chapter names by a style called Level 1 from the template.

That's pretty much all. I then export it to fb2 and to make sure the file validates I fill in the following:
  • book title
  • language
  • book author
  • genre

Using the plug-in for conversion is really easy and takes about one tenth of the time it took me to convert a file when I was using Book Designer.

Many thanks to the developer.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #15
Stephanos
Connoisseur
Stephanos doesn't litterStephanos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I second the suggestion of using Calbre. Unlike OpenOffice, it can import Epub and PDF, as the original poster specified.
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote