Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #991
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Charles River Editors, free

Roman Hispania: The History of Ancient Rome’s Conquest of Spain and the Iberian Peninsula

The Origins of the Vikings: The History and Legacy of the Early Norsemen Who Became Medieval Europe’s Most Notorious Explorers

Rhodes after Antiquity: The History and Legacy of the Famous Greek Island in the Middle Ages and the Modern Era

The Opium Wars: The History and Legacy of the 19th Century Conflicts between Britain and China

Guangzhou: The History and Legacy of China’s Most Influential Trade Center

Michael Faraday: The Life and Legacy of the Influential 19th Century Scientist Who Pioneered Electromagnetism

The Evolution of Tanks in World War II: The Development of New Tanks and Tactics during History’s Deadliest War

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...+river+editors
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #992
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hourly History shorts

Spanish Civil War: A History From Beginning to End

Francisco Franco: A Life From Beginning to End

Benito Mussolini: A Life From Beginning to End (World War II Biography Book 4)

Franklin D. Roosevelt: A Life From Beginning to End

Adolf Hitler: A Life From Beginning to End (World War II Biography Book 1)

Dwight Eisenhower: A Life From Beginning to End

Joseph Stalin: A Life From Beginning to End

Mao Zedong: A Life From Beginning to End

King George VI: A Life From Beginning to End (Royalty Biography Book 5)

Winston Churchill: A Life From Beginning to End

Cold War: A History From Beginning to End

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...Hourly+History

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...Hourly+History

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...Hourly+History
Old 05-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #993
elaysee
Zealot
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, iPad
This month's free title from the University of Chicago Press is Curiosity: How Science Became Interested in Everything, by Philip Ball. The author is well-enough known as a science popularizer that I was surprised not to find any of his titles in my electronic collection; I know I've read his articles.

Book is delivered via Adobe Digital Editions.

Quote:
Curiosity emerges as a first-rate popular account of how science in Europe began. Accurate, witty, and reliable, the book ably shows modern readers how we got to be modern. Philip Ball adeptly sketches the virtuoso sensibility: a combination of intellectual nosiness and experimental dexterity plus the belief that, as he writes, ‘to understand everything, you could start from anywhere.’—Wall Street Journal
elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #994
Little.Egret
Wizard

Free, academic

Power, Protection, and Free Trade: International Sources of U.S. Commercial Strategy, 1887–1939 (Cornell Studies in Political Economy) by David A. Lake

Why do nations so frequently abandon unrestricted international commerce in favor of trade protectionism?
David A. Lake contends that the dominant explanation, interest group theory, does not adequately explain American trade strategy or address the contradictory elements of cooperation and conflict that shape the international economy.
Power, Protection, and Free Trade offers an alternative, systemic approach to trade strategy that builds on the interaction between domestic and international factors. In this innovative book, Lake maintains that both protection and free trade are legitimate and effective instruments of national policy, the considered responses of nations to varying international structures.

David A. Lake is Jerri-Ann and Gary E. Jacobs Professor of Social Sciences and Distinguished Professor of Political Science at the University of California, San Diego. He is the author of The Statebuilder's Dilemma: On the Limits of Foreign Intervention, and Hierarchy in International Relations and the coeditor of Politics in the New Hard Times: The Great Recession in Comparative Perspective and The State and American Foreign Economic Policy, all from Cornell University Press.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BB3SM26

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BB3SM26

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07BB3SM26
Old 05-08-2018, 05:09 PM   #995
Little.Egret
Wizard

Charles River Editors, free

Napoleon Bonaparte’s Invasion of the Levant: The History and Legacy of the French Campaign in Syria

The Egyptian Scientific Institute: The History and Legacy of the French Expedition Established by Napoleon Bonaparte to Study Egypt

Alfred, Lord Tennyson: The Life and Legacy of Great Britain’s Most Famous Poet Laureate

The Mojave Desert: The History and Legacy of North America’s Most Famous Desert

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...+river+editors
Old 05-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #996
Little.Egret
Wizard

Endeavour, free

The Magnificent Bastards of Chu Lai by Lawrence Cortesi

In the early morning hours of August 18, 1965, two battalions of Marine Corps leathernecks launched a surprise attack against firmly entrenched Communist troops on Vietnam’s Chu Lai peninsula.

Code named Operation Starlite, it would be the war’s first full-scale battle between American and North Vietnamese combat troops. American military leaders who planned the attack knew the stakes were high; victory—or defeat—would have far-reaching political consequences.

But no one could have known that the success of Operation Starlite would ultimately depend on the efforts of a mere 170 gyrenes—the “Magnificent Bastards” of Company H.

First published in 1986 by Kensington Publishing Corp.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnificent-B...dp/B07C2YZRL1/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnificent...dp/B07C2YZRL1/

https://www.amazon.ca/Magnificent-Ba...dp/B07C2YZRL1/

Lawrence Cortesi (1923-1987) was an American school teacher and prolific writer, who published multiple books,
Old 05-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #997
Little.Egret
Wizard

Endeavour, free

Bourbon and Stuart: An enlightening comparison of the French and English monarchy in the seventeenth century by John Miller

In the seventeenth century most educated Europeans took it for granted that monarchy was the best form of government. Across Europe, monarchy was the norm, from the kings of England and France in the west, to the tsar of all the Russias in the east. But despite the widespread belief that kings were part of the natural order of things, the mid seventeenth century saw the execution of Charles I and the abolition of the monarchy in England, and a civil war in France which seemed to threaten to overturn the French monarchy.

This account suggests fundamental differences between France and England which explain why the English monarchy recovered from the mid century crisis and still survives today, while the French monarchy came to grief at the Revolution.

First published in 1987 by George Philip.

John Miller is Reader in History, Queen Mary College, University of London. His previous books include Popery and Politics in England, 1660-88; The Life and Times of William and Mary; James II: A Study in Kingship and Religion in the Popular Prints, 1600–1832. He is currently working on a biography of Charles II.

https://www.amazon.com/Bourbon-Stuar...dp/B07C26Q3YL/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bourbon-Stu...dp/B07C26Q3YL/

https://www.amazon.ca/Bourbon-Stuart...dp/B07C26Q3YL/
Old 05-11-2018, 02:55 AM   #998
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
A post that I just made has gone AWOL.

I made a post about a Cornell University Press sale, and thought that I posted it on this thread. Apparently I didn't, because I can't find it.

I did some searches, but still couldn't find the post. If anyone runs across it, would you let me know? Or, for that matter, feel free to post it here on the "Non-Fiction" thread, where it belongs.

I hope that I didn't accidentally delete it . . . . Arrrghh!

ADDENDUM: Nevermind. I found it. It's below.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-11-2018 at 02:58 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:57 AM   #999
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pay What You Want (Sort of) for Cornell University Press Books, this Coming Tuesday!

If you like university press kinds of books , you might want to mark May 15 (that's Tuesday, unless I've slipped another cog) on your calendar, and peruse a copy of Cornell University Press' catalog before then.

Cornell University Press says that on that date they will let folks put their own prices on the books that they publish. That turns out to be quite a large number of books, because "the press is one of the country's largest university presses. It produces approximately 150 nonfiction titles each year . . . ." (Wikipedia).

The announcement on Cornell's blog is full of what, IMHO, is slippery language, however. Have a read of some of it, and see what you think:

THIS MAY 15TH . . . PAY WHAT YOU WANT FOR OUR BOOKS!
<snip>
On Tuesday May 15th, we’re going all out. And for one day only, you can put a price on our books.

Why are we doing this?!

One, we love books as much as you do. Two, we want to help spread knowledge. Three, we trust you!

How does it work?

1. Visit our website
2. Choose your book(s)
3. Decide how much you can pay
4. Email us with your offer at cupress-sales@cornell.edu
5. Enjoy your new book(s)!

Simple.

Is my offer good enough?

Next, we’ll take a look at your offer. If we can do it, we’ll send you a special discount code to use online or by phone.

If we can’t make it work, we’ll offer you free digital access to the book, or the chance to make a new offer.

So, save the date:

May 15th, 9am-6pm EST, Pay What You Want, and enjoy your reading!

*U.S.A. ONLY

Here's how I translate the verbage, let's see if we see it the same way . . . . "you can make an offer on any of our paper-based books. If the offer's high enough, we'll let you have it for that price. If it's not high enough, you can get the ebook free, or you can make another (higher this time) offer on the paper-based version, and maybe we'll take it." Is that how you understand it?

Point #4, under "How does it work?", above suggests that you are not limited to one book--that you can get multiple books.

Well, I would want the digital version of any of the books anyway, so I don't want them to accept my offers for, presumably, paper-based versions. So my offers are going to be extremely low.

Please note the next to the last line of the ad: the offers can be made from between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m., only, on May 15.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go peruse Cornell press' catalog and see what bargains that I might be able to get on Tuesday.

ADDENDUM: You might want to check out Cornell University Press' Open Access selection, and go ahead and start grabbing some freebies now. IMHO, their OA titles are quite a bit better than average.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-11-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:47 AM   #1000
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Just a gentle reminder that Cornell Press' "pay what you want to" sale starts this morning at 9 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. I've got 7 books that I want to obtain from them; hopefully, Cornell won't accept the embarassingly low offers that I'm going to be making for their dead-tree versions, and opt to give me the free digital versions instead.

If you have any interest in university press-type books, you'll want to set your alarm clock (I definitely am mine (I'm a late sleeper)) for 9 a.m., or earlier, so you don't get a late start.

I'm so glad that I'm not a Cornell Press employee, and won't have to be at work tomorrow.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-15-2018 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #1001
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Just a gentle reminder that Cornell Press' "pay what you want to" sale starts this morning at 9 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. I've got 7 books that I want to obtain from them; hopefully, Cornell won't accept the embarassingly low offers that I'm going to be making for their dead-tree versions, and opt to give me the free digital versions instead.

If you have any interest in university press-type books, you'll want to set your alarm clock (I definitely am mine (I'm a late sleeper)) for 9 a.m., or earlier, so you don't get a late start.

I'm so glad that I'm not a Cornell Press employee, and won't have to be at work tomorrow.
The email messages, with my offers, sent to the instructed email address, cupress-sales@cornell.edu, are getting rejected.

The above address is the one that Cornell Press gave us to send the offers to. Perhaps their email server has become overloaded?

Anyway, here is an alternate address for Cornell Press. Perhaps if you send (an) offer(s) to them at that address they will feel compelled to honor it(them). I mentioned, in my message, that the reason that I was using the alternate address is that I kept getting messages "kicked back," that I sent to the email address that they said to use, cupressinfo@cornell.edu. But, I'd make sure to do it before the cutoff time of 5 p.m.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-15-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #1002
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Correction: it appears that I may not have been typing in the correct email address, as it was given in the announcement that I posted two or three posts back. If so, please accept my apologies.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:07 PM   #1003
Little.Egret
Wizard

University Press of Colorado, free

Archaeological Perspectives on Warfare on the Great Plains by Andrew Clark and Douglas Bamforth

The Great Plains has been central to academic and popular visions of Native American warfare, largely because the region’s well-documented violence was so central to the expansion of Euroamerican settlement. However, social violence has deep roots on the Plains beyond this post-Contact perception, and these roots have not been systematically examined through archaeology before.
War was part, and perhaps an important part, of the process of ethnogenesis that helped to define tribal societies in the region, and it affected many other aspects of human lives there. In this book anthropologists who study sites across the Plains critically examine regional themes of warfare from pre-Contact and post-Contact periods and assess how war shaped human societies of the region.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVW5JYG/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CVW5JYG/

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07CVW5JYG/
Old 05-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #1004
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
University Press of Colorado, free

Archaeological Perspectives on Warfare on the Great Plains by Andrew Clark and Douglas Bamforth

The Great Plains has been central to academic and popular visions of Native American warfare, largely because the region’s well-documented violence was so central to the expansion of Euroamerican settlement. However, social violence has deep roots on the Plains beyond this post-Contact perception, and these roots have not been systematically examined through archaeology before.
War was part, and perhaps an important part, of the process of ethnogenesis that helped to define tribal societies in the region, and it affected many other aspects of human lives there. In this book anthropologists who study sites across the Plains critically examine regional themes of warfare from pre-Contact and post-Contact periods and assess how war shaped human societies of the region.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVW5JYG/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CVW5JYG/

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07CVW5JYG/
No digital list price stated, but the hardcover price at Amazon is $99.00.

Published today. Yes, that's right--today, May 15, 2108. You're really on top of things! Publishing digitally is not like the olden days, when a book would be printed, sent to the warehouse, distributed to the bookstores, etc., etc. And sometimes the book would be out-of-date by the time that a customer could actually purchase one.

Gr8 find!
Old 05-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #1005
Little.Egret
Wizard

The KGB and the Stasi: The History of the Eastern Bloc’s Most Infamous Intelligence Agencies