Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
charliebub
Enthusiast
charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 36
Karma: 266
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Cumbria, U.K.
Device: Boox Note 10.3
My Boox-Note 10.3 has arrived!

Hi all, my Boox-Note 10.3 arrived this afternoon.....

If you saw my initial thread you'll know that I bought it from the ereader.store in Germany, I'm in the U.K.
I ordered it last Thursday the 10th and it arrived today, Wednesday the 16th - very quickly sent and received (bearing in mind that they must have had them in stock - as their web-pages said they had, when I placed the order)!
There were absolutely no problems with the purchase and the delivery via UPS was trackable all the way.
The closest they got to a delivery time was "by the end of day" - which was fine for me.

So for starters I would definitely recommend ereader.store, to whom I 'switched' my intended purchase after very luckily being for-warned of the 'other supplier' whom may remain nameless but has in this forum a very poor reputation indeed..... That said, thanks to all the folk here that posted material to enable me to make the 'right choice' of supplier.

Anyway, right from the opening of the outer wrapping - simply white paper-like wrapper - the enclosed device simply oozes class and quality. The packaging of black 'posh' boxes is almost reminiscent of that which is often used for high-end perfumery products.

I ordered mine with the cover included (there are now two options, with or without the cover) and quickly stuck the two little strips to the Note's rear (with the black only slightly-sticky side to the device and the very-sticky side to the case's interior). The tablet actually fits the case - I'd call it a case as the sides of it do actually 'wrap around' the edges of the tablet and give it a perfect and secure fit.

The opening of the case wakes the Note and the closing puts it in sleep-mode, as with the Kindle Paper-white and others.....

Here are a few quick pictures, I haven't had time yet to make any video of the beastie in action but may be able to fit this in tomorrow with luck...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ws_boox note unboxing (1).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	164005   Click image for larger version

Name:	ws_boox note unboxing (2).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	164006   Click image for larger version

Name:	ws_boox note unboxing (4).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	164007   Click image for larger version

Name:	ws_boox note unboxing (5).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	164008   Click image for larger version

Name:	ws_boox note unboxing (9).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	164010  
charliebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #2
charliebub
Enthusiast
charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 36
Karma: 266
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Cumbria, U.K.
Device: Boox Note 10.3
Boox-Note user manual attached here

Hi all, I thought some may find it helpful to have a copy of the Boox-Note's user manual to hand, especially if you're considering a purchase....

boox-note-user-manual.pdf

So far I've used the Play Store to download and install the Kindle app without any hint of a problem. I've also found the built-in web-browser to work perfectly well with a very good speed - video playback accepted of course.
I've used bluetooth to transfer a 1,100-page PDF from my Windows 10 laptop to the Note - also worked perfectly. To transfer a copy of the Note's user manual from the Note to said laptop I used the supplied USB cable, also without any problem at all.

So far it's performing well, although it's very early days of course.
Hopefully I'll get a chance to make a short video of it in action tomorrow.

Back soon.

John B.
charliebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
downeaster59
Guru
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
downeaster59's Avatar
 
Posts: 637
Karma: 1510750
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pittsfield, Maine
Device: iPad Pro 9.7, Onyx Boox Note, Kindle Oasis 2, Nook Glowlight 3
Nice to see that your Note is working out well for you so far! I hope it continues. Mine is working very well for me.

If you have any questions about it, you can always post something in the Onyx part of this forum.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
charliebub
Enthusiast
charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 36
Karma: 266
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Cumbria, U.K.
Device: Boox Note 10.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Nice to see that your Note is working out well for you so far! I hope it continues. Mine is working very well for me.

If you have any questions about it, you can always post something in the Onyx part of this forum.
Update, the Note is still working perfectly - the browser is a revelation too - really very good indeed and a delight to be able to use outside in this fine weather.

Now then, the crux of the matter, the deal-breaker for my own requirements that is. As I alluded to in an earlier post, I have indeed found the device to be so good that it's size - or lack of it to be precise, has now become an issue.

This hardware/software is so good at what it does that I really can see myself making full use of it, if only it were larger. This is why I've contacted Waldemar at the ereader.store and asked if I may exchange it for the large MAX2 version.

That very helpful and polite fellow immediately said that would be no problem at all and that I could simply return it to them, receive an account-credit for the price then pay the extra for the MAX2! That's what I call service....

Soooo, that's what I'm going to do! I've of course stopped using it and will be packaging it up and returning it with a view to buying the MAX2 instead.
I can really make good use of the larger size, especially when it comes to the 'split-screen' or 'side-note' feature as it's called in Boox-language I think.

I find the note taking, PDF reading, side-note taking and web browsing to be pretty-much faultless on the Note - I just hope the same is true for the MAX2!

The Note (10.3) is such superb device that it has literally 'left me wanting more' - that is to say a larger screen version of this really very nice piece of kit.

Very impressed indeed with the Note, and would definitely recommend it - just make sure you consider the size-choice between the Note and the MAX2 first!

John B.
charliebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
downeaster59
Guru
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
downeaster59's Avatar
 
Posts: 637
Karma: 1510750
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pittsfield, Maine
Device: iPad Pro 9.7, Onyx Boox Note, Kindle Oasis 2, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebub View Post
Update, the Note is still working perfectly - the browser is a revelation too - really very good indeed and a delight to be able to use outside in this fine weather.

Now then, the crux of the matter, the deal-breaker for my own requirements that is. As I alluded to in an earlier post, I have indeed found the device to be so good that it's size - or lack of it to be precise, has now become an issue.

This hardware/software is so good at what it does that I really can see myself making full use of it, if only it were larger. This is why I've contacted Waldemar at the ereader.store and asked if I may exchange it for the large MAX2 version.

That very helpful and polite fellow immediately said that would be no problem at all and that I could simply return it to them, receive an account-credit for the price then pay the extra for the MAX2! That's what I call service....

Soooo, that's what I'm going to do! I've of course stopped using it and will be packaging it up and returning it with a view to buying the MAX2 instead.
I can really make good use of the larger size, especially when it comes to the 'split-screen' or 'side-note' feature as it's called in Boox-language I think.

I find the note taking, PDF reading, side-note taking and web browsing to be pretty-much faultless on the Note - I just hope the same is true for the MAX2!

The Note (10.3) is such superb device that it has literally 'left me wanting more' - that is to say a larger screen version of this really very nice piece of kit.

Very impressed indeed with the Note, and would definitely recommend it - just make sure you consider the size-choice between the Note and the MAX2 first!

John B.
Hi, John,

Glad you have had such a positive experience with the Note and Waldemar. I have always found him great for customer service. (In another thread, when I responded to you, I suggested that you do just what you did! Glad it worked!)

The hardware of the Note is basically identical to the Max 2. The only difference is the size. So, you should enjoy your soon-to-come Max 2 as much as you have your Note.

It's probably a good idea for anyone trying to decide between the two to make two cardboard cutouts - one the size of the Note's display, and the other the size of the Max 2's. That would help people decide how much screen is enough!

The Max 2 would be a bit too big for me, but it seems that it should be just right for you. Cheers, Mark
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:33 PM   #6
charliebub
Enthusiast
charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 36
Karma: 266
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Cumbria, U.K.
Device: Boox Note 10.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Hi, John,

Glad you have had such a positive experience with the Note and Waldemar. I have always found him great for customer service. (In another thread, when I responded to you, I suggested that you do just what you did! Glad it worked!)

The hardware of the Note is basically identical to the Max 2. The only difference is the size. So, you should enjoy your soon-to-come Max 2 as much as you have your Note.

It's probably a good idea for anyone trying to decide between the two to make two cardboard cutouts - one the size of the Note's display, and the other the size of the Max 2's. That would help people decide how much screen is enough!

The Max 2 would be a bit too big for me, but it seems that it should be just right for you. Cheers, Mark
Hi Mark, yes your advice has been pretty much spot-on my friend. I'm hoping to send the Note off tomorrow so I expect it to take a week or two to receive the MAX2 - but I'm still in the forum and will of course keep you updated.

The Note really is a superb device, everything just works! Looking forward to the eventual arrival of the MAX2!

Thanks again, John.

p.s. Having perused the forum also I'm going to fit a screen-protector to the MAX2 immediately upon unboxing as it seems the MAX2's screen-surface may have a tendency to damage easily.....
charliebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BOOX about to release BOOX Note(10.3") and a BOOX typewriter... bthb Onyx Boox 67 05-20-2018 03:27 AM
Boox Max2/Note Note app Templates alvises Onyx Boox 1 05-19-2018 02:57 PM
KOReader does not refresh on Boox Max 2 & Boox Note linshi KOReader 0 01-21-2018 04:12 AM
Onyx Boox M92 sample has arrived. First imression - I love it! Booxtor Onyx Boox 435 11-07-2017 06:54 PM
My Onyx Boox 60 just arrived! luag Onyx Boox 116 06-18-2012 09:35 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:46 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.