Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #16
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,446
Karma: 12401584
Join Date: Nov 2009
Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 2, Fire HD8,
I’m on Facebook with quite a few authors who produce their own audiobooks that are in the Romance Package. One has spoken to an Audible VP and her response is to tell her readers that she will no longer produce audiobooks. She can’t afford to. Audible have a 7 year tie in the Romance Package and they won’t release authors or books. They have no solution to the abysmal royalty rates and no ideas on how to improve things. The end result will be less new audiobooks produced.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #17
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
darryl's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,248
Karma: 33349648
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I’m on Facebook with quite a few authors who produce their own audiobooks that are in the Romance Package. One has spoken to an Audible VP and her response is to tell her readers that she will no longer produce audiobooks. She can’t afford to. Audible have a 7 year tie in the Romance Package and they won’t release authors or books. They have no solution to the abysmal royalty rates and no ideas on how to improve things. The end result will be less new audiobooks produced.
@Josieb1. I had a quick look at this, and the contract terms are terrible. Authors have a 7 year initial term for their Audible books. But once they enrol in the Romance Package, they can't unenrol. They are stuck for the term of their agreement. I don't know how obvious this was made when they were signing up, but I suspect if it was not highlighted in huge bold flashing letters many authors would have just assumed that it was like KU, where books can easily be taken in and out.

The agreement concerned is the Catalog Subscription Service Agreement. Clause 3 reads:

Quote:
Term/Termination. This Agreement will be effective upon your enrollment, and will continue with respect to each Work until the corresponding license and distribution agreement or book posting agreement for such Work expires or is terminated (the "Term"). If the Term ends and/or a Digital Audio Product is no longer available in a Catalog Subscription Service, any subscriber who has selected that Digital Audio Product for listening during the Term may continue to access it until they return it or their subscription terminates, subject to Audible's continued payment of Catalog Subscription Royalties as set forth in Section 1 above.
This is the sort of stuff I would expect to see from the Big 5, not from Amazon through Audible. It sounds like the business model for the Romance Package is not viable. I also expect that this treatment will severely damage Amazon's relationships with any Romance Author unlucky enough to have enrolled in the program, and many of their friends and colleagues.

Yet another example of what can happen when you don't read or understand the terms. I suspect many of the authors concerned simply trusted Audible, which has proved itself unworthy of that trust.

Last edited by darryl; 05-15-2018 at 07:49 PM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #18
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Catlady's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,384
Karma: 24074741
Join Date: Oct 2010
Device: Kindle Fire, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip, jetBook Lite
First, any author who agrees to a contract without knowing what's in it shouldn't complain later on. Second, what about the exposure some authors get because of their books being included in the package?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:34 AM   #19
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
darryl's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,248
Karma: 33349648
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
First, any author who agrees to a contract without knowing what's in it shouldn't complain later on. Second, what about the exposure some authors get because of their books being included in the package?
Both good points. But of course author's are not lawyers, and I'd imagine that even many who did read the agreement would not have understood the implications. A very harsh lesson.

And yes, there may well be some benefit in the exposure. I doubt it outweighs the costs of virtually giving away the audiobooks. With a new untested program like this leaving Audible so much control committing for up to 7 years was a grave risk. One I suspect Audible was well aware of in drafting the terms.

The lesson is very clear. Get a lawyer to look at the agreement. If you can't afford one at least look through it very carefully yourself and get some of your more knowledgeable friends to as well.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #20
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,188
Karma: 17133512
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Both good points. But of course author's are not lawyers, and I'd imagine that even many who did read the agreement would not have understood the implications. A very harsh lesson.

And yes, there may well be some benefit in the exposure. I doubt it outweighs the costs of virtually giving away the audiobooks. With a new untested program like this leaving Audible so much control committing for up to 7 years was a grave risk. One I suspect Audible was well aware of in drafting the terms.

The lesson is very clear. Get a lawyer to look at the agreement. If you can't afford one at least look through it very carefully yourself and get some of your more knowledgeable friends to as well.
And that's why authors have (or should have) agents who are trustworthy.

As far as your earlier comment about it being what you expect from big 5 publishers but not Amazon/Audible, I think it's very typical of Amazon. Amazon likes to play hardball with their suppliers and authors are suppliers to Amazon. Walmart was famous for that sort of dealing with their suppliers and Bezos uses Walmart as his model. Anyone who thinks that there is a difference in behavior between Amazon and any of the big 5 publishers (or frankly, most large corporations) is, IMPO, engaged in wishful thinking. Most large corporations will do what they think they can get away with as long as they think it helps their bottom line.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #21
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
darryl's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,248
Karma: 33349648
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Australia
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
And that's why authors have (or should have) agents who are trustworthy.

As far as your earlier comment about it being what you expect from big 5 publishers but not Amazon/Audible, I think it's very typical of Amazon. Amazon likes to play hardball with their suppliers and authors are suppliers to Amazon. Walmart was famous for that sort of dealing with their suppliers and Bezos uses Walmart as his model. Anyone who thinks that there is a difference in behavior between Amazon and any of the big 5 publishers (or frankly, most large corporations) is, IMPO, engaged in wishful thinking. Most large corporations will do what they think they can get away with as long as they think it helps their bottom line.
You mean of course literature majors with no legal or business qualifications and a built-in conflict of interest should break the law by giving their poor clients legal advice on contracts. Agents are on the way out, with very good reason. And trustworthy agents is almost an oxymoron.

Amazon is certainly no Saint. One way in which it has distinguished itself in the past is by taking a longer term view and a wider one. And a Big 5 publishing contract is vastly more onerous than an Apub one, let alone KDP terms. Amazon is not giving authors more favourable terms out of the goodness of its heart. It is doing it because it is good business. What Audible has done here is not. Nor are the Big 5's contracts including the current rights grab mentality.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #22
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,188
Karma: 17133512
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
You mean of course literature majors with no legal or business qualifications and a built-in conflict of interest should break the law by giving their poor clients legal advice on contracts. Agents are on the way out, with very good reason. And trustworthy agents is almost an oxymoron.

Amazon is certainly no Saint. One way in which it has distinguished itself in the past is by taking a longer term view and a wider one. And a Big 5 publishing contract is vastly more onerous than an Apub one, let alone KDP terms. Amazon is not giving authors more favourable terms out of the goodness of its heart. It is doing it because it is good business. What Audible has done here is not. Nor are the Big 5's contracts including the current rights grab mentality.
Most agents, if they are not lawyers, have lawyers on staff or at least on retainer. As far as conflict of interest, as far as I know, agents are paid as a percentage of what the author makes on a deal. They want to maximize their return as much as anyone else. If an agent screws an author over, word gets out. Hiring a good agent is mostly word of mouth anyway. Sports figures hire agents, many people hire agents when they are selling or buying a house. All the same incentives apply in those situations. If you don't trust your agent, then hire a lawyer yourself to read the contract.

With Amazon, the key thing to remember is they where they are in the cycle. Back when they were trying to establish market share, they were giving customers great deals. Now that they control the vast majority of market share for both ebooks and audiobooks, that generosity goes out the window. We saw it with how they treat indie authors and KU, and have seen it in a number of similar situations. When they think they have the whip hand, they play hard ball.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:24 PM   #23
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,446
Karma: 12401584
Join Date: Nov 2009
Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 2, Fire HD8,
Authors are being let out of the Romance Package contracts. It’s been posted on Facebook.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audiobook or Audible sub-forum? joenunya Feedback 28 08-30-2014 02:30 AM
Audiobook Ideas For 10 Hour road trip s1mp13m4n Reading Recommendations 11 12-30-2013 06:59 AM
Free audiobook (Audible) The Valentine Wedding Dress by Sheryl Woods [Romance] ATDrake Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion) 1 05-01-2012 05:23 PM
"Three Full Days of 99 Cent Books Posted Every Hour" - From DailyCheapReads NightBird Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion) 14 05-14-2011 08:44 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.