Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Joystick page flip and history hack

For the people who like the joystick page flip hack but don't want to loose their history function I made a hack.

This hack will make the joystick a page flip button with left and right and the history with up and down without interfering with menu operations etc.

I don't use the history function myself but it's it seemed many people were waiting for this.

Enjoy.

Of course use of this hack is for your own risk.

UPDATE: Please check hack #17 that has an improved version of this hack.

CLICK

Last edited by diabloNL; 08-15-2007 at 07:10 PM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
When you say "without interfering with menu operations" what do you mean?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
When you say "without interfering with menu operations" what do you mean?
That you can still use it to navigate up and down in the menu's.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #4
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

I just realized something because I never use it. You can't use links no more in a book if you have them.

I will try to work that one out.

Last edited by diabloNL; 08-03-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I think the history + page turn will work well for me with the joystick.

The link navigation seems a tough thing to add unless you use one of the other page turn buttons to do it. Personally, I much prefer having joystick to page turns and history rather than link navigation, and number keys are sufficient for menus.
Advert
Old 08-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Another question for the eternally fearful... have you (or anyone) already tried this version to check that it works as expected?
Old 08-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Yep, I got the latest firmware and installed the page turning hack immediately. Works just fine.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

I try all the stuff before I post it. I even download the attached file and flash it just to be sure everything went ok.

I'm trying to get the hack so all the functions work. I think I'm getting there but it will take some more time.

EDIT: Don't forget that you will need to install the application.xml file as well where the joystick page flip hack is coded. The main.xml posted here takes care of the history with the up down button. Maybe it's better to wait a few days because maybe I will post a new file that will make sure all functions keep working with this hack.

Last edited by diabloNL; 08-03-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:13 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
diabloNL, take a look at this thread...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12573

The problem of losing the history has been solved. That nice big mostly unused page up/page down silver colored button now works as history back/forward instead of the joystick. It's a great trade off and does not take away the functionality of traversing links such as ToC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:34 AM   #10
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
diabloNL, take a look at this thread...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12573

The problem of losing the history has been solved. That nice big mostly unused page up/page down silver colored button now works as history back/forward instead of the joystick. It's a great trade off and does not take away the functionality of traversing links such as ToC.
I know Jon, I made that hack as well.

I'm trying to make a hack where you can keep all important functionality and it's coming along quite well. I just ran into some problems I need to find a solution for. If this hack works you can change the function of the joystick right in the book. The only thing you will loose is the landscape button when reading a book.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
I know Jon, I made that hack as well.

I'm trying to make a hack where you can keep all important functionality and it's coming along quite well. I just ran into some problems I need to find a solution for. If this hack works you can change the function of the joystick right in the book. The only thing you will loose is the landscape button when reading a book.
Very interesting if this works. I'm curious to see if you can get it to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:54 AM   #12
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Very interesting if this works. I'm curious to see if you can get it to work.
Hmm... this is quite hard to do. The code works for 99%. The function selection inside a book for the joystick works but as soon as you push the joystick up or down it gets into a loop. I know where the problem is but haven't figured out how to solve it. I think I hit the technical limitations of the Reader (or myself).

Anyway, I will take a look at it again when I'm sure I will not hurt my reader in the process of trying to solve this problem.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:32 PM   #13
Fain
Fain began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
I've been traveling alot the last week and using my Reader very extensively.

I find the Mod diabloNL made for me works perfect for all my needs.
However, I did mod it as was suggested in the thread JSWolf linked to here, to make it so history was performed by holding and page turns retained by taps.
This was working well, save for one annoying problem holding for history sometimes didn't work and you got a page turn back instead, which added to history... which added to frustration.

Then I noticed something with increased use of the Reader.
I used the round silver button alot to do page forward, but rarely for page back.
And in most cases, wouldn't hitting history back perform as page back anyways?
So, I did this.

<boolean key="0x31" do="doLeft"/>
<boolean key="0x31-hold" do="doPrevious"/>
<boolean key="0x30" do="doNext"/>
<boolean key="0x30-hold" do="doRight"/>

Basically this translates as:

Round Silver Key Left - History Back
Round Silver Key Hold Left - Page Turn Back
Round Silver Key Right - Page Turn Forward
Round Silver Key Hold Right - History Forward

I find that the history Forward command was rarely used, in most cases I use History to recover from accidentally pressing the number keys and thus having the Reader jump hundreds of pages away from the last page I was on.

Keep in mind History is of course also retained in the Menu Option for the book, tapping menu once will bring you to the menu, where you can then select history with key 6

Just sharing my experience here. As always, great work diabloNL.
Fain is offline   Reply With Quote