Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #16
Darryl_Gittins
Darryl_Gittins began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
When I first installed Calibre, it prompted me for the folder to use for my ebooks. I didn't know it would make copies of every existing ebook. I assumed that I should tell it to use the folder I'm already using - the folder that already contained my ebooks. I assumed that like with MP3 database programs like Winamp, or Mediamonkey, or I tunes, or with photo database programs, the program creates mappings to the files.

That's where my disaster occurred. Calibre created an entirely new structure of folders in the existing structure of folders, with a duplicate for every book. The initial folder structure I had is totally hosed, as there is no way to extract the new folders that I can see. It's fine that it needs to create copies, but there should be a warning about this.

Imagine if you installed I-tunes and it duplicated all your music in the same folder structure as your existing music. You'd be surprised and pissed off.

I like the program, but I think this is an area that needs work - at least warn people that this can happen.
Darryl_Gittins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #17
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl_Gittins View Post
I like the program, but I think this is an area that needs work - at least warn people that this can happen.
I tend to agree with you. Calibre is a group project. Your contribution is valuable. You've just gone through the installation. Write up the message that you think would be a good warning for a new user, like you. Go back through the installation process and choose the exact screen where you think your message should appear. Find the place in the documentation you think should be improved, and write that improvement. Then post it all in the bug tracker.

New users will appreciate your efforts.

BTW, extracting the folders from the mess is not hopeless. Calibre stores under author name by firstname last name. You probably didn't. You can also sort folders by date. Finally, all folders for books inside the author folders have a number at the end of the folder name.

Last edited by Starson17; 05-04-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:57 PM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
First I agree with Starson17 see where the install dialog or manual can be improved to correct the easy misunderstanding and submit the improved language via the bug/enhancement page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl_Gittins View Post
there is no way to extract the new folders that I can see.
There is hope for you to easily extract Calibre's library and recreate it in another folder.

The following procedure will backup every book in your Calibre library and restore all of those books, along with all covers and metadata that currently exists in your library, in a new folder.
Note: The following process will not backup / restore / move any custom recipes or schedules for news downloads. Personally I edit all of my custom recipes using notepad++ and save those custom recipes in a separate custom recipe directory as xxxxxx.recipe this ensures I will always be able to restore my custom recipes in the future. Regular recipes are included in Calibre and do not need backing up.

Note 2: Beside the recipes, if you wish to use the following to backup Calibre you might want to copy/backup your configuration folder to the same backup folder location used below. My folder is located in C:\Documents and Settings\HOME\Application Data\calibre. This folder holds any preferences you may have set along the way.

My only assumption is that you are using Windows, these instructions may vary slightly in other Operating Systems.

1. Go to Preferences - Add/Save - Saving books tab
2. Ensure that the following are checked.
Save cover separately
Update metadata in saved copy
Save metadata in OPF file
3. Go to Preferences - Add/Save - Adding books tab
4. Ensure that the following is checked (we'll need it later.)
If books with similar titles and authors found, merge the new files automatically
5. Click OK
6. Quit Calibre, control-Q or right click on system tray and select quit.
7. Click icon to start Calibre.
8. Select all books in Calibre's library (note the total number of books listed in the library, my total is 1268)
9. Select Save to Disk, create a new directory akin to Calibre_library_backup_May_4_2010 then click OK.
Calibre is now backing up all the files in your Calibre Library and any metadata or covers that you have updated/added.
10. Quit Calibre, control-Q or right click on system tray and select quit.
11. Create a new directory for your Calibre Library, as an example say C:\Calibre_Library
12. Open a command prompt.
13. Enter the following in the command prompt window and select enter.
Code:
Calibre --with-library C:\Calibre_Library
14. Calibre should open with zero books showing in its library.
15. Click on the drop down arrow next to the Add Books icon (top left) select Adding books from directories, including sub directories (multiple books per directory, assumes every ebook file is a different book) now select the directory you previously backed up your library too in this example it was Calibre_library_backup_May_4_2010.
Calibre is now restoring all your backed up books. This could take a while. Wait for it to finish.
16. Verify that the total number of books in this new library equals the total number of books you started with, noted in step 8. (My final was 1267 vice 1268 on looking back my original library had two identical books listed twice as separate entries.)
17. Quit Calibre, control-Q or right click on system tray and select quit.
18. Click the original Calibre icon.
19. Go to Preferences - General - verify that the directory listed for the library is the new location, in this example it was C:\Calibre_Library.

Your library is now running from this new directory. Now every time you start Calibre from the icon the library will open the database at C:\Calibre_Library.

You may now go to your original source directory (Not the new directory we just created) and delete any sub-directory that has a number in parens after it, like C:\original_source\H. G. Wells\The Time Machine (180). These were placed there when you initially installed Calibre. The remaining folders are your original source files as they were to prior to installing Calibre.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-06-2010 at 06:04 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote