Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The PW does not (as far as I know) have a microphone, so this couldn't be done.
I know. I was trying to figure out what Barb was talking about.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #17
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I know. I was trying to figure out what Barb was talking about.
They just announce the 10" android fire with "hands free" Alexa.

So it's reasonable to think that amazon might be pushing Alexa harder, especially if they do update the kindle ot be a version of Fire OS, instead of the existing kind of firmware.

Does anyone pay attention to the android e-reeader forum, what is the common battery life of those?
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
And how do I even Find the PW with what I want when I Cant Read Japanese??
Hey Barbara, can you link me to the site you found?
You want a 32G, let's see if I can find you one.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #19
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And how do I even Find the PW with what I want when I Cant Read Japanese??
Hey Barbara,
Look what I found. No translation needed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-32GB-Ne...-/262772751510

It is $195.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Does anyone pay attention to the android e-reeader forum, what is the common battery life of those?
Significantly worse than that of a dedicated reader. When I had my Onyx T68 I'd typically charge it perhaps once every 3 days, compared to once every 10 days for my Kindle with a similar usage pattern.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #21
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They just announce the 10" android fire with "hands free" Alexa.

So it's reasonable to think that amazon might be pushing Alexa harder, especially if they do update the kindle ot be a version of Fire OS, instead of the existing kind of firmware.

I can't imagine Amazon changing the e-reader screen Kindles to support Alexa. That said, my husband uses a Paperwhite 2nd gen, I'm currently using a Kobo Glo because it has vastly superior font options, and I wouldn't even take a Fire as a free gift. My love of Amazon devices died some time ago.

Their Fires are garbage, and I'd never recommend them to anyone. If you want an android device, there are many good choices. We happen to be iOS users, and we've no plans to change. They dependably work when needed, which isn't something that can be said of any of the Fire models we've used.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #22
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289882
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #23
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Speculation on a blog is not an announcement. If you actually read the article, it actually makes it sound the opposite.

A Kindle isn't an AI device, which is what is being talked about in the article.

Kindles need improved text options. They don't need Alexa.

And I'm not talking about Fire tablets...since Barb seems to get them confused.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:08 PM   #24
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Sorry, but that is the one blog I would not trust.
Though expect Alexa on an e-ink when New Years, Groundhog, Valentines, St Patrick's, Mother's, Father's Independence (Canada, US, Mexico) Memorial, and Labor Days, along with Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and all other holidays fall in August.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Their Fires are garbage, and I'd never recommend them to anyone. If you want an android device, there are many good choices. We happen to be iOS users, and we've no plans to change. They dependably work when needed, which isn't something that can be said of any of the Fire models we've used.
I think saying that Fires are garbage is overkill. Some are more satisfactory than others, but in terms of bang for the buck some are very good indeed. iOS is not only not a realistic option in some cases, it can also be far more bells and whistles than necessary for the task at hand.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:32 PM   #26
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Speculation on a blog is not an announcement. If you actually read the article, it actually makes it sound the opposite.

A Kindle isn't an AI device, which is what is being talked about in the article.

Kindles need improved text options. They don't need Alexa.

And I'm not talking about Fire tablets...since Barb seems to get them confused.

I Don't get them Confused....maybe you do! I had e-Readers from Amazon Sony Kobo & B/N since 2010 & Tablets since 2012 Several brands!
Old 09-20-2017, 11:37 PM   #27
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Hey Barbara,
Look what I found. No translation needed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-32GB-Ne...-/262772751510

It is $195.
Importing: Be sure to check within your country's laws and regulations to make sure that these items are allowed for importing.
  • Taxes and customs duties: Some items may be subject to additional import taxes, customs duties and fees depending on your country and/or state. These fees are not included in our sales and they must be paid additionally by the recipient of the item
I have No Clue about
Old 09-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #28
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Importing: Be sure to check within your country's laws and regulations to make sure that these items are allowed for importing.
  • Taxes and customs duties: Some items may be subject to additional import taxes, customs duties and fees depending on your country and/or state. These fees are not included in our sales and they must be paid additionally by the recipient of the item
I have No Clue about
Google could tell you the specifics.
Are you still living in the USA?

There are no special trade restrictions between Japan and the USA by either country that I am aware of.

The cost of the item is less than the minimum amount for which custom fees are charged on "Personal use items".

And if for some reason they do want to collect customs fees from you, you will be contacted upon its arrival in the USA.
The rate would be about the same as having to pay sales tax.

If you are living in one of the European countries that charge a VAT tax, then the rate is similar to mortgaging your first born.

Last edited by knc1; 09-21-2017 at 08:21 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #29
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
especially if they do update the kindle ot be a version of Fire OS, instead of the existing kind of firmware.
I'm fairly sure any Kindle's hardware specs are much too low for Android to be remotely usable. (Also, the entire UI would have to be rethought for e-ink: a lot of work, for little return...)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:42 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I'm fairly sure any Kindle's hardware specs are much too low for Android to be remotely usable. (Also, the entire UI would have to be rethought for e-ink: a lot of work, for little return...)
There are eInk Readers that run Android. So saying it cannot be done is wrong. Android was running on hardware far less powerful then a PW3.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote