Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #1
TheWitchDoctor
TheWitchDoctor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question How to successfully convert pdf to azw3/epub

I've tried it and the result was far from perfect - different sizes of letters, page numbers woven into the main text, these amongst other things. How should I do it to do it right and to be able to be happy with fluent and unproblematic Kindle format or epub?
TheWitchDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I am afraid the only good solution is not to start with PDF in the first place! That is why there is a sticky talking about this issue.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I am afraid the only good solution is not to start with PDF in the first place! That is why there is a sticky talking about this issue.
+1

As they taught us in pre-school:
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall. (read: original doc created)
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. (read: orig doc converted to PDF)
All the King's horses and all the King's men (read: calibre, et. al.)
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

You either need to start with the original document instead of the PDF conversion, or you need to convert to ePub and then manually edit the ePub to fix the myriad of errors. There is no magic bullet.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWitchDoctor View Post
I've tried it and the result was far from perfect - different sizes of letters, page numbers woven into the main text, these amongst other things. How should I do it to do it right and to be able to be happy with fluent and unproblematic Kindle format or epub?
@TheWitchDoctor - firstly have a read of this ==>> Read this before Posting PDF Questions

I convert several dozen PDF's a week. I've settled on using MobiCreator to convert to PRC/HTML for most things - it may not be the best tool, but it produces predictable results for the public domain documents I convert. For most documents I do the major tidying up in Word (where I have a large collection of macros that I've written, purchased and leeched over the last 20+ years). I save as DOCX and convert that to EPUB - could just as easily be AZW3.

If I can't get a decent result from MobiCreator (I can usually predict when I won't) I usually give up, likely as not the document is multi-column, has text boxes, infographics or other stuff that's hard to shoehorn into an EPUB. Sometimes I've used the k2pdfopt program (see the MR PDF forum) to good effect. Otherwise I live with the PDF as is.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
David Maga
David Maga began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Trouble Converting PDF to EPUB

Hello,

I am new to the world of converting to ebooks. I am hoping I can get some help in these forums.

I am trying to convert an educational book to EPub using Calibre. I have attached the book to this message. I currently have the book in PDF format. When I try to convert it in Calibre it misses all the images on each page and only converts the text, it then adds pages which show some of the images.

I am wondering if there is any way I can convert the book as is and it will convert into EPub the exact same way it looks in PDF.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Moderator Notice
Copyrighted material removed. Pleas read the Mobileread guidelines (link at the bottom of the forum)

Last edited by theducks; 03-31-2015 at 03:23 PM.
David Maga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2015, 03:25 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Read https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118605

PDF is not a good format to convert
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote