Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #211
patjee
patjee began at the beginning.

Device: hisense a5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepilator View Post
How do you get WhatsApp notifications in the notification bar, can you explain?
I only get them on the App icon, but as they come with vibration or sound it is enough for me. The are status bar changes apps out there but I haven't tried them.
patjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:34 AM   #212
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
I have watched it charge now. It does not have fast charging.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:43 PM   #213
wizz
Enthusiast
wizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-bookswizz has learned how to read e-books

Device: Poke2, Hisense A5
I have a few questions as I maybe want to buy this device for hiking:
How is the battery life if you use it as e-reader and set it to airplane modus?
How do you like the gps map navigation?

Thanks for answering.
Cheers
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:35 PM   #214
nystagmus
Connoisseur
nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Boox Max Lumi 2, Kobo Forma, Topjoy Butterfly E601
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
I have a few questions as I maybe want to buy this device for hiking:
How is the battery life if you use it as e-reader and set it to airplane modus?
How do you like the gps map navigation?

Thanks for answering.
Cheers
I get around 4 days with light usage per charge while connected to mobile network, meanwhile without using GPS and mostly having static content displayed. In airplane mode it should be alot longer.
The GPS is fast and recepetive enough.
nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:54 PM   #215
janbenes1
janbenes1 began at the beginning.

Device: HA2
Notifications during sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
I just received the a5 from cect shop. Some thoughts and answers to the questions I had...

Hello, does it update notifications on screen while it sleeps? So you can see new messages?
janbenes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:13 PM   #216
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I use Moon+ reader and the Kindle app, both of which let me scroll manually instead of paging, which I much prefer. Does anyone know if scrolling works reasonably well on the A5?

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:20 AM   #217
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I use Moon+ reader and the Kindle app, both of which let me scroll manually instead of paging, which I much prefer. Does anyone know if scrolling works reasonably well on the A5?

Barry
I actually prefer paging, but scrolling works quite well in smooth/fast mode. I actually now prefer reading on my A5 than on my Onyx devices of which I have a few. I now only use my Onyx devices for PDFs and note taking/sketching.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #218
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by janbenes1 View Post
Hello, does it update notifications on screen while it sleeps? So you can see new messages?
When using the default SMS application, I see a small icon appear on the screen while it is sleeping. There was a sound, but no text displayed from or about the message.

However, while an icon appeared for the default app, this icon did not appear when I used a non-default application, in my case, blacklist blocker messaging application.

I haven't looked into this problem yet as I actually bought the phone for someone else.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:53 AM   #219
Waiting4somethin
Addict

The lack of google services does cause issues. No ebay app, and I could not get signal to work so far. I think I read that it can be a problem for applications that use the services for notifications.

Whatsapp works, and it did not seem to require (or at least mention requiring) a limited google services as the person on reddit (quoted in the 11'th page of this thread) seemed to suggest, whose instructions do not seem to work for me.

Another issue I have with this phone is that some apps don't always scroll properly, in that they only scroll after swiping the screen and not during the swipe. This happened on facebook first and I resolved it by allowing permissions, but has returned. It also happens on amazon kindle. The settings page always does it.

Edit: I got signal working by putting the sim in my old phone, letting the register process send the verification code there, and returning the sim to the new phone.

Quote:

Barry
I'm not a regular kindle app user, but the visual faux turning animation of pages when swiping that I think you are referring to works fine, in case my above comment concerned you.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 02-01-2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #220
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
I'm not a regular kindle app user, but the visual faux turning animation of pages when swiping that I think you are referring to works fine, in case my above comment concerned you.
I was referring to the text scrolling upward on the screen. On my LCD phone as I read I slide my finger upward to expose more text at the bottom of the screen. I got used to reading this way when I was reading on a Palm and I much prefer it to turning pages.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:36 PM   #221
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
Quote:
The lack of google services does cause issues. No ebay app, and I could not get signal to work so far
SIgnal works fine. You need to install it direct from the website to get the version that does not use Google Play Services. Obviously also whitelist it from Memory Cleanup.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:54 PM   #222
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
Quote:
Another issue I have with this phone is that some apps don't always scroll properly, in that they only scroll after swiping the screen and not during the swipe. This happened on facebook first and I resolved it by allowing permissions, but has returned. It also happens on amazon kindle. The settings page always does it.
I have never experienced anything like this. I don't use Facebook but I have no problem with the Kindle app at all. I almost always use smooth mode but just tested it in clear mode without a problem.

Perhaps someone else has an idea as to what could be causing your problem.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:58 AM   #223
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
I was referring to the text scrolling upward on the screen. On my LCD phone as I read I slide my finger upward to expose more text at the bottom of the screen. I got used to reading this way when I was reading on a Palm and I much prefer it to turning pages.

Barry
Ahh yes, I didn't see it yesterday in the menu. It works fine, same as the browser, which you can probably find examples of in videos online.

Personally, over time I’ve found scrolling when reading on eink a bit fatiguing (though the Likebook might have put me off due to what seemed to me a worse performance). I used to scroll in pdfs on the yota for a while and enjoyed that, though, and this phone is at least as good. In respect of scrolling I don’t think any eink device will do it much better.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 02-02-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:01 AM   #224
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartz View Post
SIgnal works fine. You need to install it direct from the website to get the version that does not use Google Play Services. Obviously also whitelist it from Memory Cleanup.
I did install through the website, though might have missed the memory cleanup. I got it working anyway, it wouldn't send a verification code to the phone, so I used the old phone to register.

Quote:
I have never experienced anything like this. I don't use Facebook but I have no problem with the Kindle app at all. I almost always use smooth mode but just tested it in clear mode without a problem.
The effect is exactly the same as can be seen at 5:00 onwards in the color hisense phone video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R241f-krUzA
He moves his finger but the page does not scroll until he releases.

This happens to me in the settings screen, in facebook after closing the app, and in the kindle book selection screen. I am in smooth mode. I figured it was the same for everyone.

Quote:
Perhaps someone else has an idea as to what could be causing your problem.
Yes perhaps, could be something I've missed.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 02-02-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:18 AM   #225
lowsense
lowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hisense A5
Quote:
I did install through the website, though might have missed the memory cleanup. I got it working anyway, it wouldn't send a verification code to the phone, so I used the old phone to register.

The effect is exactly the same as can be seen at 5:00 onwards in the color hisense phone video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R241f-krUzA
He moves his finger but the page does not scroll until he releases.

This happens to me in the settings screen, in facebook after closing the app, and in the kindle book selection screen. I am in smooth mode. I figured it was the same for everyone.

Yes perhaps, could be something I've missed.
Saw the video, I never has that either. Both Facebook and Kindle work very well for me.
lowsense is offline   Reply With Quote