Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #106
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I really don't think the eInk screen is any different on the K3 and the K4. They are both Pearl 6" screens. I do think that either Amazon used a different top layer over the K3 screen and/or they tweaked the firmware to make the K4 screen work better. I've read that the eInk screens have much more capabilities than is utilized by current readers, so perhaps they tweaked the software to take better advantage of some of those capabilities.
I agree. A lot of folks have been puzzled by why the Pearl screen looks better on the K3 than on other readers taht also use the Pearl screen. The differences appear to be largely due to Amazon's choice of font, and other minor asthetic choices.

With the difference between the K3 and the K4, I think that the apparent lack of glare in the K4 seems to tell a large part of the story. E-ink's manufacturer has stated repeatedly that the more light you get hitting the e-ink layer, the better the contrast will be. Amazon developed or chose a less reflective protective layer, so more light is penetrating through to the e-ink layer, rather than being reflected. It's not a big deal in a technological sense, but it's still a real, valid difference.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #107
jswinden
Nameless Being

For those of you with cats, you will be happy to know that the bevel design around the screen is not conducive to capturing cat hair!!! On the K3 the bevel seems to be glued to the area around the screen. This often results in cat hair getting stuck at the sides of the screen and it is difficult at times to dislodge the cat hairs. The K4 design looks more like the Sony x50 readers, but not as deeply recessed--maybe half as recessed. The beveled edge of the bezel around the screen is dark black which is good IMO.
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #108
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I see they removed "Amazon" from the name on the top of the device. I wonder why? Just to further differentiate between the K3 & the K4? Also, is the smaller size as comfortable as it looks? Do you think it would work for "smaller" hands and "larger" hands?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #109
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by xari View Post
Basically, it seems as thought they've been able to eliminate that split-second black-out (inverse image) that we've all become used to.
Yeah, they're doing what a number of other readers started doing in the last year or so. Rather than refreshing the entire page, they only refresh the pixels that need to change (from white to black or vice versa), without affecting the rest. Then every few pages--the default is usually 6--it does a full page refresh, in order to clean up the artifacting that tends to build up without full refreshes.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #110
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
FYI: We ordered one of these for my Mom (non-KSO version) and I've been playing with it/getting it set up for her.

In any case, just wanted to report that the page turns on the K4 are CRAZY fast now.

Basically, it seems as thought they've been able to eliminate that split-second black-out (inverse image) that we've all become used to.

I find that it happens very occasionally, but most of the time the text of the current page simply gets overlayed with the text of the next page for an instant and then the text of the new page kind of snaps into focus.

It's really kind of neat!
FW 4.0.1 will add a settings option to let you choose to refresh the screen after each page turn or stick with what you now have. I have noticed that overall the K4 is noticeably faster than the K3. This becomes very apparent when pulling up the full dictionary page.
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #111
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Quote:
I have noticed that overall the K4 is noticeably faster than the K3. This becomes very apparent when pulling up the full dictionary page.
I so did not need this!

I love my K3. I was happy with my K3.

Now I'm sitting here coveting my Mom's K4!

Damn you Jeff Bezos. Damn you Amazon!!!
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #112
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I see they removed "Amazon" from the name on the top of the device. I wonder why? Just to further differentiate between the K3 & the K4? Also, is the smaller size as comfortable as it looks? Do you think it would work for "smaller" hands and "larger" hands?
I like the new smaller size and I have large and arthritic hands. I think small hands will like it to, or rather the hands' owner will. It is feather lite and that is great. I sometimes get hand cramps when holding the K3, this should be better. I like the placement of the button, especially the Page buttons, though they are a bit awkward for landscape reading.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #113
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
For those of you with cats, you will be happy to know that the bevel design around the screen is not conducive to capturing cat hair!!! On the K3 the bevel seems to be glued to the area around the screen. This often results in cat hair getting stuck at the sides of the screen and it is difficult at times to dislodge the cat hairs. The K4 design looks more like the Sony x50 readers, but not as deeply recessed--maybe half as recessed. The beveled edge of the bezel around the screen is dark black which is good IMO.
Oh this is great news! It was something I was wondering as well. I hated how I had to keep every spec of dirt and dust away from the edges. I have cats but my problem was my own hair was attracted to it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #114
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I so did not need this!

The K3 runs at 533Mhz. The K4 runs at 800Mhz, zoom zoom!
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #115
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I so did not need this!

I am with you I want a K4 like now!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #116
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
I like the new smaller size and I have large and arthritic hands. I think small hands will like it to, or rather the hands' owner will. It is feather lite and that is great. I sometimes get hand cramps when holding the K3, this should be better. I like the placement of the button, especially the Page buttons, though they are a bit awkward for landscape reading.
It all sounds too good!!

I love my K3, I love my K3, I love my K3......
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #117
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
You can tell they revved up the horse-power! Reaction time was always a bit sluggish on the K3 but not so noticeable on the K4.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #118
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
The K4 would be perfect for me! I have complain time and time again with small hands the K3 is so heavy I have to use a stand for long periods of reading. I am so getting one. Nyssa you know you want one. $79 is such a small amount. My only hope is getting one before they sell out.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #119
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn.

I'm off drool over the webpages for the various new Kindles...

[I wonder if I'd like the KTouch???]
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #120
jswinden
Nameless Being

In book search function is blazingly fast too! The K3 was very sluggish at searching but the K4 blasts right through the book in no time.