Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
thevidyy
thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My kindle has gone nuts

Everything was fine with my kindle 4 until I opened up a book (it may have been a corrupted file?). It froze, I tried restarting it with the power button, it hard rebooted itself (which means I've lost all my books on the device) and I can't get it past the "Setup Complete" stage of the reboot. It's frozen right on the page. I've done several hard reboots after that by holding onto the power button for 30+ seconds, and it's the same every time. I've also noticed that interacting with it is significantly slower and out of the ordinary (I don't remember it being this slow ever.) I've only had the kindle for a little over a month. What should I do?

Edit:
As I was posting this, it got past the "Setup Complete" stage after maybe 15+ minutes of waiting. It's now on the page where I can select books to read. I only see archived items. I click it, and it's frozen again. The pattern here seems to be that it is extremely unresponsive...

Last edited by thevidyy; 07-09-2012 at 12:29 AM.
thevidyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
The default response - Contact Kindle Support. They should be able to help you out.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
try reset - hold home, and then hold restart for 30 seconds - i think that is reset
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
If all else fails, try the "simple debricking" sticky thread in the dev corner forum.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
You mention that you think it could be a corrupted/dodgy book file. If you can see it from your PC when connected, try deleting that book, then re-starting. It can't harm...........
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd do a factory reset; that's what Kindle CS will ask you to do, so you may as well do it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
thevidyy
thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thevidyy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
You mention that you think it could be a corrupted/dodgy book file. If you can see it from your PC when connected, try deleting that book, then re-starting. It can't harm...........
The corrupted file turns out to not be corrupted. I opened the file via Kindle for PC and it opened perfectly fine. I've called Amazon Customer Support and they're sending me a replacement. What I want to know now is why this happened at all, so as to prevent the same thing from happening again. Thanks, guys.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevidyy View Post
The corrupted file turns out to not be corrupted. I opened the file via Kindle for PC and it opened perfectly fine. I've called Amazon Customer Support and they're sending me a replacement. What I want to know now is why this happened at all, so as to prevent the same thing from happening again. Thanks, guys.
The reading software is different on your Kindle then Kindle for PC. So just because it works with K4PC does not means it will work properly with an actual Kindle. Blame Amazon for making things that different when they should be the same.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
The corrupted file turns out to not be corrupted.
It is possible that the file was corrupted during the transfer to the Kindle.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where did this file come from?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
I have experienced a similar occurrence with a book purchased from Amazon. I downloaded to my K3 - which promptly froze when I opened it. The actual book opened just fine using K4PC. As JSWolf pointed out, the software is different for different devices. I never could read this book on my Kindle, only on the PC. My K3 is just fine.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've had one case where I've had to reset my 650. Every reader has a problem. It's a matter of how much of a problem it is as to if you need to contact support.

I don't think any reader is 100% bug free.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Edit:
As I was posting this, it got past the "Setup Complete" stage after maybe 15+ minutes of waiting. It's now on the page where I can select books to read. I only see archived items. I click it, and it's frozen again. The pattern here seems to be that it is extremely unresponsive...
If you get back to home page again. Don't touch anything just hook it up to the PC and remove the book it froze on that way and see if that fixes it. A corrupted book will cause this kind of behavior.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #14
thevidyy

Could it be an indexing problem? I remember putting in 50+ books all at once. Is this too much for the kindle to handle?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #15
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
It is always possible that the problem has nothing to do with that file. We are often too quick to assume that coincidence equals causality.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote