Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #256
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Did you note that the epub zip did not start with the proper mimetype file unencrypted? That should not cause any real problems but what actually created this zip file? You never said.

Did you try it with Sigil-0.9.18 to see if it properly loaded the file as I asked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggusDiggus View Post
You don't have to bother rewriting if you don't care. Just say it.

Its not a folder. Its a zip file. As i said i can open it with better zip. I cant see anything in the zip file which is wrong.

IThe problem i've already mentioned. Sigils error message is saying som,ething that this is a folder which isnt the case. So either something is wrong with the epub file, or something is wrong in Sigil. Definitely wrong is the error message. Thats related to Sigil, vecause Sigil is throwing this error message.

But just let it be. When I get such stupid answers, I don't feel like it anymore. I will just extract all files and rebuild the epub from scratch.

By the way: ADE is displaying this "folder" without any problems.

Was a waste of time signing me in.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #257
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
You don't have to bother rewriting if you don't care. Just say it.
Am I supposed to say it or not bother? Your instructions are confusing. But I'll say it just to be clear: "I don't care."

I don't care that people have problems with ill-formed, non-compliant, garbage-archives-masquerading-as-epubs they get from the internet. Not even a little bit. GIGO.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #258
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youshi View Post
The modification of toc.ncx is over.

epub3 works with nav.xhtml, and toc.ncx is only prepared formally for backward compatibility.
There are many epub that have nothing written on toc.ncx or that don't have it.
Is there any follow-up to epub3 with this modification?

Isn't this problem caused by toc.ncx as the main?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325162
Not sure what you're asking. The NCX is completely optional in EPUB3, but required in EPUB2 (and by EPUB2 readers). Sigil provides manual ways to add/remove/edit (and rebuild from the NAV) an NCX in EPUB3s. User's choice.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-05-2019 at 10:10 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #259
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW, I looked into this error message. It is the result of a runtime error generated by your operating system, not Sigil.

In Sigil we uses a try/catch to catch runtime errors and Sigil does the following:

.//src/MainUI/MainWindow.cpp: Utility::DisplayExceptionErrorDialog(tr("Cannot load file %1: %2")

The %1 is the local tmp file name for the file in question:

/private/var/folders/mv/yh12pg850x565ymz2xwhxlvr0000gn/T/Sigil-SjhZWy/OEBPS/

and the %2 is the runtime error message from your OS:

Macro: int EISDIR
“Is a directory.” You cannot open a directory for writing, or create or remove hard links to it.

So it is telling you you do not have permissions in your own tmp directory to write or create the OEBPS folder. In fact your path to your tmp files looks strange. It should not point into /private/var/folders but instead to /private/tmp/.

Have you created your own tmp directory?

So either your zip is corrupt and it is not properly distinguishing folders from files, or your manifest is incorrect listing a folder as a file, or your permissions are not properly set to create files and folders in your own temp directory.

Sorry but that error message is not under the control of Sigil, it is from your underlying os. All Sigil can do is relay that runtime_error message.

KevinH

Quote:
Can someone explain this please: i have no glue what this means

Error info: Cannot load file /Users/xyz/Downloads/x.epub: /private/var/folders/mv/yh12pg850x565ymz2xwhxlvr0000gn/T/Sigil-SjhZWy/OEBPS/: Is a directory
Sigil version: 0.9.991
Runtime Qt: 5.12.3
Compiled Qt: 5.12.3

Last edited by KevinH; 12-05-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:49 PM   #260
KevinH
Wizard

And if you are on a Mac you should really read up on Gatekeeper and App Translocation that happens when trying to open a quarantine file directly from your Downloads folder.

You should always manually drag and drop any file out of your Downloads folder before trying to invoke it. Otherwise a read-only image of it is created in /private/var/folders/mv (as is shown in your error message) that causes many/most applications to fail. Your ".epub" file is being treated as an app (could it have a malicious payload attached) exactly like that.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:07 PM   #261
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
The major item that had me stop responding after my first reply was that I stopped and thought about what type of site would supply an epub inside a RAR archive. Anyone aware of any store doing so? The only times I've seen this used were by pirate sites.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #262
KevinH
Wizard

Yes, good point! I missed the RAR bit completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The major item that had me stop responding after my first reply was that I stopped and thought about what type of site would supply an epub inside a RAR archive. Anyone aware of any store doing so? The only times I've seen this used were by pirate sites.
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM   #263
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Baen delivers my Bundles and orders inside ZIP Archives.
The RAR thing also made me wonder, which is why I did not offer help.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM   #264
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone X/6/iPad 1,2 & Air/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
Yes, you can get zip files - and iso files - from Baen. I think that is only for Baen published books, right? I don't think they use the .rar format though.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM   #265
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Yes, you can get zip files - and iso files - from Baen. I think that is only for Baen published books, right? I don't think they use the .rar format though.
Only Baen (formerly Webscriptions) SOLD books (Baen does ebooks for a few other imprints).
And NEVER have I seen a RAR from them.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote