Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Harry, I just wonder why anyone would need a Complete Works which is extensively annotated. For me, the purpose of the C Ws is to read the plays casually, like a novel, rather than for scholarly reasons. This is what I do with mine.
I don't suppose anyone does need one, but personally I enjoy having one. I find the footnotes useful when reading the plays. I have the complete set of Shakespeare audio productions that was produced by Arkangel many years ago (they weren't as expensive as that link shows when I bought them ), and I like to read the plays while listening to an audio version on my iPhone. It's convenient to have them all in one volume.

As always, each to their own . I guess I just like having complete sets of things.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-16-2018 at 10:43 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #32
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Harry, do you have the Delphi Complete Works of Shakespeare, and if so, what do you think of it?
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
Harry, do you have the Delphi Complete Works of Shakespeare, and if so, what do you think of it?
Yes, I do.

I don't think a great deal of it. For me, at least, Shakespeare is an author I need help with in terms of word glosses and so on, so personally I'd always buy a commercial version from a publisher who does Shakespeare well.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #34
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Good point. I’ve looked at some, including the ones you mentioned, but they all need to be read on tablets. I was hoping to find a good collection readable on the Oasis or Kindle.
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

This one is readable on a normal Kindle:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B071JYNGZB
Advert
Old 03-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #36
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This one is readable on a normal Kindle:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B071JYNGZB
That's Print Replica, tablets and computers only
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:01 PM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
That's Print Replica, tablets and computers only
Sorry about that. There definitely used to be a normal ebook version of the Oxford Shakespeare (I have it!), but now all that’s coming up is that one which, as you rightly say, is a Print Replica edition.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #38
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Sorry about that. There definitely used to be a normal ebook version of the Oxford Shakespeare (I have it!), but now all that’s coming up is that one which, as you rightly say, is a Print Replica edition.
I can confirm, I have a normal ebook version of Oxford 2nd edition as well.

That and the RSC version are my 2 go-tos, RSC continues down the First Folio-based path that Oxford agitated for (though not strictly so; RSC includes, for instance, the Second Quarto “star-crossed lovers” prologue to Romeo and Juliet, albeit annotated to indicate that it's not part of the FF rendition).

Norton and Bevington are fine choices too, at least on paper (I don't have them in electronic form or know whether they're available).

Avoid Arden; the Arden individual plays are excellent, but the Arden complete works removes most of the commentary and is of limited value.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can buy the Oxford Shakespeare from Kobo in the US and the UK. For the Kindle, you'd have to strip the DRM and convert as it's ePub 2.

US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/wil...mplete-works-1
UK: https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/wil...mplete-works-1
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:34 PM   #40
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
I see that this complete works is currently free.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Wi...dp/B07BDR9H7J/

"based on the 1974 Riverside Edition" text only I assume.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The abbreviated names are really annoying and that means you have to remember the name that goes with the abbreviation.

Does the Oxford complete works have the name abbreviations?
Old 03-18-2018, 06:29 PM   #42
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The abbreviated names are really annoying and that means you have to remember the name that goes with the abbreviation.

Does the Oxford complete works have the name abbreviations?
Nope, unabbreviated names are used in Oxford.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
Nope, unabbreviated names are used in Oxford.
That great. The unabbreviated names makes Shakespeare a lot easier to read then the abbreviated names. It can be hard enough to read the olde English. But add in the abbreviated names and forget it.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #44
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
It looks like you can get an ePub version at Feedbooks. I downloaded the sample and it's a normal eBook.

http://www.feedbooks.com/item/133122...complete-works

Also available from Barnes & Noble.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the...83?type=eBook#

Last edited by rcentros; 03-18-2018 at 09:02 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #45
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

Also available for free in America – but harder to find ...

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Will...1423516&sr=1-3

Both appear to be illustrated.

Last edited by rcentros; 03-18-2018 at 09:56 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote