Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Thinking about Brooklyn Public Library

I am thinking about plunking down $50 for a 1-year library card for Brooklyn Library. They seem to have a pretty good & large selection.

Do current buyers of this library card think it is a worthwhile deal? Do they have enough copies such that you are not always on hold?

Thanks for any info --
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #2
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Brooklyn Public Library (Overdrive)

I recommend this library without hesitation -- but you should check out their collection to see if YOUR favorite authors are represented. I am a Mystery nut and audiobook fan and never have a problem finding something to enjoy. When I think what I used to spend on print books, $50/year is a steal. Better value to me than Kindle Unlimited which is more than twice the price. And my basement is now empty of the hundreds of books and CDs that used to collect dust and get damp/mold -- I have gone (almost) completely digital in my media consumption.

I don't often want to borrow a new/bestseller title which has a long waiting list; in my experience I have never waited more than 4 weeks for a REALLY popular title and I have plenty to keep me occupied in the meantime. Maximum of 15 loans out at a time and 10 holds (wow). The website will show you where you are in the Hold Waitlist e.g. I have Janet Evanovich's "Hardcore Twenty-Four" on hold and I am #37 on 10 copies -- so you can decide if the wait is worthwhile for you.

The Overdrive app on my Android phone works great to play audiobooks through my bluetooth speaker in the car. Download the titles to my phone's storage on wifi at home, so am not using data on the road. Have 2 or three at a time so if it turns out that you don't like the narrator or the story -- switch to another.

One more plus - I mailed in my initial application but have been able to renew online with my credit card subsequently - email the library about the renewal, the $50 is added to your account as a fine which you pay with a CC, email to confirm your payment and you're good to go same day. Hope that helps!
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
You can also borrow e-books via cloudLibrary (formerly 3M Cloud Library). There is a different collection of books available there, giving you more choices.

Last edited by jhowell; 01-26-2018 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Typo
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
Do they have enough copies such that you are not always on hold?
They have a large collection. But -- no. Almost all the time, I have to wait.

Then, almost all the time I use the Overdrive collection. I think the Cloud Library is less popular with the reading public.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:27 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
I am thinking about plunking down $50 for a 1-year library card for Brooklyn Library. They seem to have a pretty good & large selection.

Do current buyers of this library card think it is a worthwhile deal? Do they have enough copies such that you are not always on hold?

Thanks for any info --
They seem to buy enough copies so that you will have a maximum of 5-10 people ahead of you. For most stuff over 2 years old, I would say there are short to no wait times.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #6
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
They also have been pretty good about purchasing books I've recommended.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
+1

And you than you usually get a good spot on the wait list.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:50 PM   #8
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Most seem pretty positive. I did some more searching in the library and I think I will give it a try for a year. Thanks to all that commented.

The one negative of my searches is that they only had 5 Heinlein books --
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:06 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
In addition to using the "recommend" through Overdrive, I used to get good results asking them to add titles through email. I've been content using "Recommend" through Overdrive, so haven't used email (recommend) in a long time.

Last edited by John F; 01-28-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:56 AM   #10
LSM
LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook
I had the out-of-state card for 3 or 4 years, but when it was up for renewal this year, I decided to drop it. I've found Boston Public Library (my state) nearly always has the same offerings, so I'm trying a year with only them.
LSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #11
oandp
oandp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Absolutely. I am in Australia and have been a member for 6 years, it has an enormous collection and while you can wait for new and popular books, I always have more to read than I can keep up with anyway!
oandp is offline   Reply With Quote