Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #1726
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
There must be different levels that libraries can sign up for. Our local library used to offer access to Freegal, but our limit was 3 songs per week.

One thing I liked about Freegal was being able to find covers of popular songs.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #1727
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Then, sometimes a song will pop into mind that I hadn't heard in a long time, and I try to remember it until I have a chance to write it down. Just this morning, something made me think of the song that said, "I'm a leavin' on a jet plane . . . I don't know when I'll be back again." Old song now (I think that jet commercial aircraft must not have been ubiquitous at the time). I don't know who the singer is; I've had better success searching by song, then by artist, anyway.
That happens to me a lot. Sadly, half the time it turns out that I already have it in my collection and didn't realize it. LOL As for that song...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaving_on_a_Jet_Plane

Edited to add: And now I have that song stuck in my head.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #1728
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
That happens to me a lot. Sadly, half the time it turns out that I already have it in my collection and didn't realize it. LOL As for that song...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaving_on_a_Jet_Plane

Edited to add: And now I have that song stuck in my head.
The gods are trying to tell you something--you need to get away. Oops, wait a minute, if you're lucifer's brat, maybe it's not the gods trying to tell you . . . .
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #1729
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, if I don't know the artist, Wikipedia is usually my first stop, to find that out.

Then, I search FreeGal by song. After that, I scroll through the artists who have sung that song until I find the one that I want (there may be many of them, there may be none at all). And don't stop after one screen, quit drilling down, if necessary. Sometimes I haven't found who I wanted until I was several screens from the top. I've found that that's the most efficient way.

It's amazing to me how many artists sometimes have, at one point or another, sung and recorded the same song!
Old 05-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #1730
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The gods are trying to tell you something--you need to get away. Oops, wait a minute, if you're lucifer's brat, maybe it's not the gods trying to tell you . . . .
I already did - had a 6am flight to Florida this morning.

To actually contribute to the topic (since I'm doing anything but today)... The other day when you mentioned Mussorgsky, it reminded me that a few years ago, I came across some downloads on Wikimedia Commons from Skidmore College Orchestra. Now, it IS a college orchestra, they are good but the production values aren't what you would find on a Naxos album, obviously. I've listened to them quite a bit since then - I have several pieces by them and I find that they have a particular character. I can no longer find the list I once got them from, but I did find what came to mind the other day - Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky, performed by the Skidmore College Orchestra.

They have more stuff out there that Google can probably help with that's either in PD or licensed under CC. I could probably find more but I'm tired. Did I mention that 6am flight?
Advert
Old 05-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #1731
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Maybe the flights to (and from?) Florida are the reason that you have that song stuck in your head.

Girl, get some sleep. You need it.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:54 PM   #1732
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
That happens to me a lot. Sadly, half the time it turns out that I already have it in my collection and didn't realize it.
<snip>
Well, it may not be the same performance. You've got the original, you've got live (not a fan of it myself), you've got remastered, you've got remixed, you've got re-recorded . . . . Most of the time I actually prefer the original--they seem to sound sharper (I don't know if that's the right word or not, but maybe you know what I'm saying).
Old 05-07-2017, 10:04 PM   #1733
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Well, it may not be the same performance. You've got the original, you've got live (not a fan of it myself), you've got remastered, you've got remixed, you've got re-recorded . . . . Most of the time I actually prefer the original--they seem to sound sharper (I don't know if that's the right word or not, but maybe you know what I'm saying).
Yeah, I know what you're saying. I feel like you and I have some things in common.

I have about 8 covers of Volare. And sometimes I have to listen to all of them to figure out which one I actually wanted to listen to.

Edit - yes, sleep will be coming soon. Lots of it.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:27 AM   #1734
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

A new week (M-F) of YourClassical freebies begins today with a piece by Camille Saint-Saens. It is Symphony In F: II. Molto Vivace.

It is a lively orhestral piece.

Download the free MP3 from this dedicated YourClassical webpage for today's freebie.

Enjoy.

Check back tomorrow for another free classical piece from YourClassical!
Old 05-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #1735
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
The worst part about the 1-out-of-3 Naxos giveaway each month, to me, is picking out the one that I want to keep.
I can usually eliminate one. Then I get my mom to pick the other one ..

Mine didn't work this time, as Firefox had decided to misbehave and didn't display the dialog box at the end to actually do the save. I emailed them and had a dropbox link to get the download in under 10 minutes (it was late evening here). I could have easily waited until the morning, if needed.

I actually liked the old window better, as if the download failed before it finished, you could try again. Now, once it asks your browser to do the save, it marks you done at their end and at that point you can have a fail for the save. If the window that is left open would just have a "if the download doesn't start, click here" that could save a lot of support at their end, I suspect.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #1736
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
I don't know that I'll do this every week, but I thought that I would mention it, and see how well it goes over.

If you are subscribed to FreeGal (through your public library), your five choices of free tracks for the week expire tonight at about 12 midnight U.S. ET.
Have any suggestion on a library? I belong to three and don't see any of them on their list.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:11 PM   #1737
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Have any suggestion on a library? I belong to three and don't see any of them on their list.
Hmmm . . . . I didn't know that FreeGal had a list. But it only makes sense (but FreeGal sometimes has trouble with the "making sense" issue).

The only thing that I can suggest is to go from the other direction. Check the homepages of the three libraries where you have borrowing privileges and see if they tell about FreeGal. If they have the service, I'm sure that they want to tout it on their homepage.

I have a sneaking suspicion that two of the libraries where you have borrowing privileges are ones which have a mutual agreement thingie with your home library system. Are there any other systems that you could piggyback on? If you are where I think that you are, it seems like all of the library systems around you would love to have an agreement with your system, because it would have far more books, ebooks, audiobooks, and services (like FreeGal) than their systems do.

I'm out of ideas now.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-08-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #1738
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
You can search for libraries here.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #1739
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry for posting today's YourClassical freebie so late in the day. Please remember, however, that it will be available for 6 or 7 more days, through an archive. At the top of the archive webpage will be that day's selection, but just keep scrolling down until you find the one from the past that you want.

Today's freebie is written by composer Franz Schubert. It is Piano Sonata No. 3: II. Scherzo.

My quick opinion: better things have been composed for the piano than this piece. YMMV.

Here's the dedicated webpage for today's free YourClassical piece, where, among other things, you can download the freebie.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:48 PM   #1740
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
How's it going? Have you had any success?

I've got borrowing privileges with one other library system than my own. The nearest branch, where I have to periodically renew my card, is about 30 miles away, maybe 25 (but it takes longer going that route). The system seems well-stocked with online stuff, but I really don't have anything to compare it to but our own, which . . . well . . . leaves a lot to be desired.

There's another one that I'd like to have. The system encompasses several counties. But I honestly think that there are more cows there than people. And, it's basically not on the way to anything, about 25 miles to the closest branch, and about 40 minutes to drive to.

I think that that exhausts my possibilities.

Good luck. Catlady's suggestion sounds like a real good one.

Tags
disney movies anywhere, dma, movies anywhere, moviesanywhere