Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
[GUI Plugin] View Manager

This plugin allows you to easily switch between different views of your library. A view can consist of a combination of columns to be displayed in a certain order, with optional additions of a specified sort order, search restriction and/or saved search to be applied when the view is selected.

Example usages:
  • When performing certain tasks like editing metadata you want different columns visible.
  • You have multiple book types in your library, for which you want to display different columns for when you filter by that book type.
  • You want an easy way to quickly re-apply a default multi-column sort order.
  • You want to display/sort/filter your books differently while your device is connected (such as excluding books that are wishlist items and sorting those on the device at the top).

Main features
  • Create new Views and save your columns shown, column widths and column sorts on demand for the current view
  • Create as many different views as you wish
  • Views are library specific (redefine your views within each as you may have different columns)
  • Define which of your columns are visible and the display order for each view
  • Optional sort order(s) to be applied (right-click to choose ascending/descending)
  • Optional Virtual library to be applied
  • Optional search restriction to be applied
  • Optional saved search to be applied
  • Optional keyboard shortcuts for quick access
  • Option to automatically apply either last selected view or a specifically named view at startup/when switching libraries

Special Notes:
  • Help Documentation
  • Change History
  • Requires Calibre 2.85.1 or later.
  • If you enable the "automatically apply last view" functionality and then this will override over any values you have specified in tweaks for startup columns or restrictions.

Paypal Donations:
  • If you find this or any of my other plugins useful please feel free to show your appreciation. I have spent many hundreds of unpaid hours in their development and support so any encouragement for me to continue is appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: zip View Manager.zip (170.9 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by kiwidude; Yesterday at 12:01 AM. Reason: New version
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Kiwidude:

I get the following error when creating a new view, I have to close and restart the customize plugin in order for the columns to be selected:

Click image for larger version

Name:	View Manager.jpg
Views:	1671
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	69744

And thank you for this, I am going to love using this one.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I noticed the same effect XP SP3

1st start: No anything in any box.
Pulldown, to showed the word 'Default', Set. Error message.
Closed , restarted PI (default), now has Calibre show only field name Title.
Configured (default), now works as expected.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.0.1 Released

Thanks guys and apologies for the clanger. I had the idea of adding saved searches/restrictions to the plugin just before I was going to release it and clearly forgot to re-test everything. I did warn it was a bit hot off the press
Old 04-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kiwidude:

This is not a major thing, but is it possible for Calibre to remember the active View Manager view on a restart?

Nyn
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Nyn - I've been experimenting with this. The answer is yes and no from my look at it. I can get it to restore the columns and sort from your last used view for a specific library, both when you startup and when you switch libraries.

However it does not appear to be possible from the plugin to specify a search or search restriction. They seem to get cleared at a point after the plugin has initialization_complete invoked. I will see if Kovid has any suggestions. Without that ability the "only" thing you would be gaining is the ability to have different sort orders per library (and being able to specify them in a nicer way than the tweak).
Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Nyn - I've been experimenting with this. The answer is yes and no from my look at it. I can get it to restore the columns and sort from your last used view for a specific library, both when you startup and when you switch libraries.
Great, this would be nice if Calibre could maintain the last view.

Quote:
However it does not appear to be possible from the plugin to specify a search or search restriction. They seem to get cleared at a point after the plugin has initialization_complete invoked. I will see if Kovid has any suggestions. Without that ability the "only" thing you would be gaining is the ability to have different sort orders per library (and being able to specify them in a nicer way than the tweak).
I'm not sure I understand you, are you saying it loses the restriction within the same session or when trying to restart Calibre?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I'm not sure I understand you, are you saying it loses the restriction within the same session or when trying to restart Calibre?
Both - when switching libraries and when restarting Calibre, if I try from the plugin to specify a search or search restriction at the last point possible from my plugin the search is still getting cleared. I'm chasing up about it in the dev forums, hopefully we will figure something out - I've surprised Kovid which usually means it's my fault
Old 04-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #9
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.0.2 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Offer configuration option to apply last selected view at startup or switching libraries
  • Change configuration file format to offer more flexibility

The automatic applying of the last selected view is turned off by default. Until Calibre 0.7.55 is released which has a fix, it has the following limitation. When switching libraries, only the columns and sort order specified in the last used view will be applied. Any search restriction or saved search for that view are ignored. This limitation does not apply when you startup Calibre.

Once Calibre 0.7.55 is released the functionality will work fully as expected without further upgrading the plugin.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Thank you so much for the plugin and for the update.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Kiwidude:

I am having trouble switching from a view that uses a restriction and one that doesn't. If I go from a view without a restriction to one with one, it switches fine but if I go from a view with a restriction to one without one, it will not update and add all the books into the view. Are you seeing this on your setup?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Nyn - If you go from a view with a restiction to one without, I would expect that you must set a restriction of "blank" on the one without and tick the "apply restriction" for it, to force the previous restriction to be removed.

I did it this way because if a user manually set a restriction, then wanted to change columns (using a view that had no restriction set) I didn't want it "always" cleared unless they explicitly did so as I described above.

Or are you experiencing something else?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
@Nyn - If you go from a view with a restiction to one without, I would expect that you must set a restriction of "blank" on the one without and tick the "apply restriction" for it, to force the previous restriction to be removed.

I did it this way because if a user manually set a restriction, then wanted to change columns (using a view that had no restriction set) I didn't want it "always" cleared unless they explicitly did so as I described above.

Or are you experiencing something else?

Nope that's it, thanks for the pointer, I will do that to clear the restriction. Of course if I wanted to be REALLY lazy I could create a restriction that included everything to be used for that view.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
I'm in desperate need of help - can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? I go to "customize plugin," click the green "+", which puts "Default" in the "Select View to Customize" field. I left Default as the name for now, checked boxes in "Columns in View" on the left, didn't touch any of the "Sort Order" boxes for now, applied a search restriction (and checked the box), then added a shortcut ("Ctrl+1") and clicked OK.

But nothing happened. Ctrl+1 does nothing, and when I go back into Customize, there's nothing there - the dropdown menu in Select View is empty; my Default view doesn't appear to have been saved.

I know I must be doing something wrong and I feel like an idiot - what step am I missing?
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Not an idiot at all - you found a cunning flaw somehow. I'll push a fix when I figure out what broke