Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #27121
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, that should be fun, astrangerhere. I admit, it's been years and years since I read it, but I remember quite enjoying it. And with a good narration? A perfect commuting book, I would think.

With no regular commute, my audiobook reading times are seriously shortened. I now look for shorter books, rather than longer ones.
Excellent narration - some of the best I've heard on Librivox. The accent and voices are both very good. The narrator is David Clarke and the only other things he has done are Sherlock Holmes stories.

Count of Monte Cristo Librivox Link
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #27122
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished Paper: Paging Through History by Mark Kurlansky. Engaging, interesting, and informative. I appreciate all the more the wonderful books I have in my possession, and even the little thumbnail sketch that I made my avatar from, though sadly, the original is long gone...

Anyhow, now reading the third Jack Reacher book, Tripwire.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:24 AM   #27123
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Finished The Broken Girls by Simone St James. A thrilling story about a small town, haunted boarding school and four roommates. Quite satisfactory.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:54 PM   #27124
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I've started The Children Act by Ian McEwan, which based on the previous novels of his I've read, should be as close to a guaranteed good read as I can get. At least I know the writing will be good.
It was. I enjoyed it. Less perhaps than my favourites of his but good nonetheless.

I also read A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, which was short and very good.

Not sure what's next. I have a couple of ideas but I'll decide tomorrow.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:37 AM   #27125
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Finished Code of Conduct. A bit weird at the beginning, as it felt like it must be book two in a series and I was missing the back story. (It isn't, it's the first.) But eventually I got past that, and it improved. An interesting premise. I've already bought the second one, Rules of Conflict.
I'm just finishing up book #5 in this series, Endgame. Overall, I've enjoyed the series, but I'm ready for it to end.

I'm very much looking forward to my next read, which will be L.R. Wright's The Suspect, the first of her Karl Alberg novels set on my own Sunshine Coast. I read all these in DT versions before we ever moved up here, but they've only recently become available in eBook format, and I'm really looking forward to re-reading them. Wright either won or was shortlisted for Edgar, Ellis or Hammett awards for virtually every one of her way too few novels in a life cut short. I'm hopeful that these have stood the test of time, plus it is always fun to read about a place you live in. Especially when it's a really small place and you know every one of the locales. Of course, the Coast has changed since The Suspect was written in 1985, but it's still a small community.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #27126
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Like the sound of that. Just added to my TBR.
Still enjoying it. I've been struggling for reading time but about halfway through and it's getting intense.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #27127
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished Tripwire, then read Minion by John David Anderson[/I], and am now 25% through Violet Grenade by Victoria Scott, though I am still waiting for some kind of point to show up.

Plenty of other stuff to read, so unless I see some action soon, this will go bye-bye.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #27128
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Just finished up The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland. It was good, I liked the idea of how magic stopped and what could be done with it. It did not end the way I expected.

Finally jumping into The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton....three novels, about 1200 pages each. Just bought/downloaded The Reality Dysfunction.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #27129
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next, a library book I did forget about, Golden Son by Pierce Brown. It's the second in the Red Rising series the first I only gave two stars. I'll give this one a try.
A decent sequel to Red Rising. More introspection and internal conflict. Though, I would have liked more action in a 440 page book. I'll admit to difficulty keeping track of all the characters. Shouldn't be a problem with the next book. Lots of political intrigue. Trust no one. This book ends on a cliffhanger with Darrow in trouble so, naturally, I requested the 3rd book from the library. Rated C+ [3 stars].

Next, another library book, Halt's Peril by John Flanagan the 9th book in the Ranger's Apprentice series.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:17 AM   #27130
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Last Bus to Woodstock by Colin Dexter. The first of his Inspector Morse novels. Since I've bought all thirteen, I'd better start reading them!
And it was good, but a rather different Morse than the TV series, and a very different Lewis. It will be interesting to see if they converge.

Next up, another Cadfael: The Heretic's Apprentice. The usual fun mystery/murder/romance with a touch of heresy thrown in.

And now I think another Georgette Heyer is on the menu: The Reluctant Widow.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:42 PM   #27131
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I'm very much looking forward to my next read, which will be L.R. Wright's The Suspect, the first of her Karl Alberg novels set on my own Sunshine Coast. I read all these in DT versions before we ever moved up here, but they've only recently become available in eBook format, and I'm really looking forward to re-reading them. Wright either won or was shortlisted for Edgar, Ellis or Hammett awards for virtually every one of her way too few novels in a life cut short. I'm hopeful that these have stood the test of time, plus it is always fun to read about a place you live in. Especially when it's a really small place and you know every one of the locales. Of course, the Coast has changed since The Suspect was written in 1985, but it's still a small community.
Oh, lovely. It's always a risk to go back and read a book from "before". Sometimes its held up, but sometimes the book just hasn't stood the test of time, for one reason or another. But L.R. Wright's Karl Alberg series has definitely stood the test. I devoured The Suspect and am now starting the second in the Karl Alberg series, Sleep While I Sing. Revisiting Karl and Cassandra has turned out to be a good thing. Recommended!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:19 AM   #27132
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
And now I think another Georgette Heyer is on the menu: The Reluctant Widow.
Which was great fun.

Next up: At Bertram's Hotel by Agatha Christie. Her 66th mystery novel.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #27133
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So I re-read City of Stairs with the intent of reading the full trilogy. I originally read it in 2015 and enjoyed it. This time it felt more of a slog which worries me for the next two books, but we'll see.

Anyway as is my wont, I am alternating anyway with other books so next up is All Grown Up which I found browsing the shelves at the library and looks like it might be fun.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:33 PM   #27134
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Which was great fun.

Next up: At Bertram's Hotel by Agatha Christie. Her 66th mystery novel.
At Bertram's Hotel is quaint, but slightly rushed near the end.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #27135
latepaul
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Anyway as is my wont, I am alternating anyway with other books so next up is All Grown Up which I found browsing the shelves at the library and looks like it might be fun.
I enjoyed it.

Next up book 2 in the "City of..." books City of Blades