Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #166
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJvK View Post
When I started Kindle on my Mac today it was at version 1.20.2, and there is no such option within Kindle; it's also not under Preferences. Has Amazon killed off this possibility?
K4Mac 1.20.2 does indeed seem to be missing the option to turn off auto-updates. It may be because it's only available via the Mac App Store, as JHowell notes, and is updated through the App Store rather than having them pushed directly from Amazon. If that's the case then auto-updates shouldn't be an issue since the App Store always asks before updating. But if Amazon can still push updates to 1.20.2, then it's an issue.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #167
Manolis
Manolis can illuminate an eclipseManolis can illuminate an eclipseManolis can illuminate an eclipseManolis can illuminate an eclipseManolis can illuminate an eclipseManolis can illuminate an eclipseManolis can illuminate an eclipseManolis can illuminate an eclipseManolis can illuminate an eclipseManolis can illuminate an eclipseManolis can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle
Hi, I (stupidly) allowed the App Store to update Kindle for Mac without checking here first!

In the first post to this discussion:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371
(Is currently unclear whether or not this method will work with Kindle for Mac version 1.20.2.)

I can confirm that this method works with "El Capitan".
sudo chmod -x /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test

Terminal asks for the Mac's admin password. When you type this into Terminal it remains invisible (nothing happens) but press Return and the command will do the biz.

You might like to update your initial post to include this information.

Many, many thanks for this!
Manolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:13 AM   #168
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolis View Post
... for Mac version 1.20.2.)

I can confirm that this method works with "El Capitan".
sudo chmod -x /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test
Excellent! Thanks so much for the confirmation!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #169
ruthcatrin
ruthcatrin began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
First off, thank you all so very much for this thread. I don't use Kindle books all that often, and was SO VERY frustrated when my downloaded book wouldn't convert this morning!

Method 1 worked for me. I didn't try 2, and I don't have an e-ink kindle, so that isn't an option for me. A note on the "download for usb transfer" option: Amazon wanted to know what device I was downloading it for, and informed me that none of my registered devices qualified for that download. I was a bit peeved.....

I really hope someone comes up with a fix for the new format, cause yah, I can TOTALLY see Amazon eventually refusing to work with older Kindle for PC versions!
ruthcatrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #170
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
I have version 1.16.0 K4PC and I came up against a KFX free book today and I cannot convert it.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #171
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthcatrin View Post
I really hope someone comes up with a fix for the new format, cause yah, I can TOTALLY see Amazon eventually refusing to work with older Kindle for PC versions!
While there are some things in the works, you'll probably still be better off sticking with the older formats. Method 2 has continued to work with new versions so far. I actually grabbed an old Kindle Touch in case Kindle for PC workarounds fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
I have version 1.16.0 K4PC and I came up against a KFX free book today and I cannot convert it.
Typo for 1.19? I thought versions went from 1.15 to 1.17. And you wouldn't have gotten a KFX file. Have you tried Method 1 or 2 from the first post?
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:40 AM   #172
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post

Typo for 1.19? I thought versions went from 1.15 to 1.17. And you wouldn't have gotten a KFX file. Have you tried Method 1 or 2 from the first post?
Nope, it wasn't a typo. I didn't try method #1 because I saw that some people had problems registering. I did download the exe file so I can upgrade to .17.

I didn't understand how to do Method #2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	388
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	157984  
Old 07-18-2017, 02:54 AM   #173
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
If the advice already in this thread isn't sufficient, please ask for help at Alf's blog or Harper's Github repository.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:04 AM   #174
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I didn't understand how to do Method #2.
So go with method #1 and you'll be good to go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #175
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Typo for 1.19? I thought versions went from 1.15 to 1.17. And you wouldn't have gotten a KFX file.
There was a K4PC version 1.16. According to the Kindle for PC information page it is that last version supported under Windows XP. It can still be downloaded from Amazon.

I suspect that whatever problem JanG is having has nothing to do with KFX and as pdurrant stated would be best dealt with elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So go with method #1 and you'll be good to go.
Anyone running Windows XP should stick with K4PC version 1.16 and not try to install a later version. Do not use method 1 or method 2 under Windows XP. There is no need since version 1.16 does not download KFX format.

Last edited by jhowell; 07-18-2017 at 09:06 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #176
JanG
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
There was a K4PC version 1.16. According to the Kindle for PC information page it is that last version supported under Windows XP. It can still be downloaded from Amazon.

I suspect that whatever problem JanG is having has nothing to do with KFX and as pdurrant stated would be best dealt with elsewhere.

Anyone running Windows XP should stick with K4PC version 1.16 and not try to install a later version. Do not use method 1 or method 2 under Windows XP. There is no need since version 1.16 does not download KFX format.
I am running Windows 10. I have never allowed any software to update without my permission, that is why I still have 1.16. I pulled the book into Calibre and when I tried to convert it I received a message saying it was a KFX file and I should come to this thread to find out how to deal with it. The message even gave me the link to this thread.

I am sorry, if by following instructions given by Calibre, I have broken rules. It seems I am destined not to read this particular book, even though it is free.

Last edited by JanG; 07-18-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #177
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
IIRC 1.16 was the last version that WOULD install on XP (I rarely boot that box now that I have K4PC on W10)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #178
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I am sorry, if by following instructions given by Calibre, I have broken rules. It seems I am destined not to read this particular book, even though it is free.
You haven't broken any rules as far as I know. Those rules prohibit giving instructions for DRM removal on this forum. There are legitimate reasons for avoiding KFX that do not involve DRM removal.

Something strange is going on here. I do not understand how K4PC 1.16 could have given you a KFX file. Perhaps there is something about that particular book that is causing calibre to misidentify it as KFX. If you could share the ASIN of the book in question it might help to discover the cause of this.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #179
JanG
Groupie

Quote:
You haven't broken any rules as far as I know. Those rules prohibit giving instructions for DRM removal on this forum. There are legitimate reasons for avoiding KFX that do not involve DRM removal.

Something strange is going on here. I do not understand how K4PC 1.16 could have given you a KFX file. Perhaps there is something about that particular book that is causing calibre to misidentify it as KFX. If you could share the ASIN of the book in question it might help to discover the cause of this.
It's a book by Patricia Rice "Wicked Wyckerly" ASIN # B00V4AMXQO. It's free on Amazon U.S. and is supposed to be free on Kobo. However, it's not showing up as free for me on Kobo even though the author says it should be (she's checking into that). And that is why I was trying to convert the Amazon book so that I could read it on my Kobo. I'm doing this purely for my own use.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #180
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
It's a book by Patricia Rice "Wicked Wyckerly" ASIN # B00V4AMXQO. It's free on Amazon U.S. and is supposed to be free on Kobo. However, it's not showing up as free for me on Kobo even though the author says it should be (she's checking into that). And that is why I was trying to convert the Amazon book so that I could read it on my Kobo. I'm doing this purely for my own use.
It's showing free on Kobo for me in the US. If you're in a different country perhaps she didn't set it as free for all regions or something? (note it's easy to "travel" at Kobo by changing your account info)

I just grabbed the book from Amazon using K4PC 1.17.1 and got an AZW3 file that imported in Calibre just fine, so not sure what's going on with 1.16

The book appears to also be free on Google Play & B&N which would both be ePub's (although unless set up for it B&N files can be harder to download)...
https://play.google.com/store/books/...earch_viewport
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wic...=2940151263832

The book has no DRM so that shouldn't come into play.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-18-2017 at 11:54 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc