Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
Does anyone use Overdrive/library2go?

I need to find others that may use this app, and find out if they have ever "not" been able to signin, and instead, get a message as in the picture below. Thank you for any help you might have for me.

Last edited by abbynormal52; 01-02-2017 at 04:49 PM.
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
It looks like your library card has expired. Either check your account online or call your home library.

PS: it's not a good idea to post personal information, like your library card number
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #3
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Oh lord, I didn't even think about that being on the pic, I'll take it down. I didn't know library cards expired??

PS I so appreciate your reply, btw. I have been searching all weekend to find out what is up. I thought it might be possible that over the weekend the server went down at the library but no one has been there to ask of course.

thank you again, very much! Denise
Old 01-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal52 View Post
Oh lord, I didn't even think about that being on the pic, I'll take it down. I didn't know library cards expired??

PS I so appreciate your reply, btw. I have been searching all weekend to find out what is up. I thought it might be possible that over the weekend the server went down at the library but no one has been there to ask of course.

thank you again, very much! Denise
You're welcome. Cards do expire, eventually; some libraries sooner than others. Sometimes you can renew online and other times you'll need to go to the library with proof of the address you have on file. I've had to show up a few times and it's the only time I visit my libraries in person. I'm all digital.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:02 PM   #5
abbynormal52
Groupie

Ok TM, I know now!

I did send them an email, so I'll see what they say before I go down there. I like "digital" too especially when all "hail" has let loose here today thanks again, Denise
Old 01-02-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I don't use the app, I use Overdrive on my PC, and I also found out the hard way my card had expired.

You would think in this day and age the library could have an automated system that would notify you BEFORE your card expires so you could renew it in time to avoid interruption of service.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:00 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
"Patron Expired" sounds like an expired library card (or a glitch in their system telling them it's expired).

OverDrive doesn't do direct user support. It's set up so that the local library is the support contact and they contact OD if it's not something they can handle themselves.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:25 AM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I could be remembering wrong, but I think I got this error message one weekend, but it was fixed sometime that Monday (I tried logging in again when I got home from work).

So if it turns out your card isn't expired, fingers crossed it was just a hiccup in the system that the admins could correct when they're back in the office.

For what it's worth, I have 3 library cards that I use to access up to 5 different Overdrive library sites. One expires annually, one every two years, and one never has. Not to say they might not change their mind on that last one at some point, but so far, I've never been asked to renew it (and it's the one I've had for a couple of decades at least).

Last edited by FizzyWater; 01-03-2017 at 01:27 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:43 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
You also get that message when maintenance is going on. I'll be renewing one of my library cards this coming week.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #10
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I could be remembering wrong, but I think I got this error message one weekend, but it was fixed sometime that Monday (I tried logging in again when I got home from work).

So if it turns out your card isn't expired, fingers crossed it was just a hiccup in the system that the admins could correct when they're back in the office.

For what it's worth, I have 3 library cards that I use to access up to 5 different Overdrive library sites. One expires annually, one every two years, and one never has. Not to say they might not change their mind on that last one at some point, but so far, I've never been asked to renew it (and it's the one I've had for a couple of decades at least).
I am hoping you are right, I too use my old library card from my other county because this county has one, single library with almost nothing I would read in it. I had to move several times in 6 years, so I had 4 library cards (still have all) but use just the one because it has I think at least 5 libraries in that county.

I'll call them today if I'm not up and running on the site again. Thank you for your feedback. I would miss having "my library" of choice as I am never without a book to read. Simply can't afford to buy "every" book with reading about 1 a week. Faster if it's super intriguing
Old 01-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You also get that message when maintenance is going on. I'll be renewing one of my library cards this coming week.

Sent from my XT1528
Sorry about the near duplicate thing. Thanks for adding in the other remarks

I am so hoping it isn't going to be a renewal thing, but I'll find out after 10 a.m. what the library opens. I think there might be a way to renew online, but I'll find out about that as well.

Thanks to all of you for helping me Denise
Old 01-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #12
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I don't use the app, I use Overdrive on my PC, and I also found out the hard way my card had expired.

You would think in this day and age the library could have an automated system that would notify you BEFORE your card expires so you could renew it in time to avoid interruption of service.
I have the Overdrive for PC too. It's easier to search out my books there, than on the smaller tablet I like to do huge searches, and find out how many of my types of authors are in the library.

I make a list, then when I am ready for another book, I can go right to them and check them out. I just log into my Nook or Kindle (just starting to use the Kindle I bought the same time I bought one for my sis for Christmas)and borrow one, and put one on hold when I'm about halfway through my book.

Sometimes I'm like the 10th in line for 1 copy so I will have to buy a book in between library books
Old 01-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #13
abbynormal52
Groupie

While I'm here, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows whether or not you can gain a library card in another county of your own State (online) if you live in a place that does have a library, but only one, and VERY limited?

Just wondering if any States allow for that "special" privilege?

I did write to California Libraries main site asking. But thought I may get an answer here from someone that has been able to do this. I will let you know what I find out in case there are any others maybe seeking the same kind of info
Old 01-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I want to make it clear that this isn't directed at the OP; I'm just using her thread as a springboard for my comments.

I see a lot of library card fraud discussed on the board. I don't think it's one of the huge moral issues of the day and we all, I imagine, engage in some sorts of fiddles. I'd just like to see some acknowledgement of what's really going on in these cases.

There's a good reason for library cards to expire. People pay for library services through their taxes (I know I'm stating the obvious here) and former residents have no right to borrow books on their old neighbors' dime. We all know that. It's also true that you've got the card and it's not a big deal in the grand scheme.

What bothers me is the justification. I actually wouldn't mind a, "I've got this card and I'm going to use it as long as I can." That's honest. But when people start to talk about how they read so many books and can't afford to buy them, that's when I get peevish. There are options. Most people could afford a buck a week for a non-resident's card at one of the excellent libraries that offers them. And if it's hard to come up with $50, as it can be, it should still be possible to save toward getting one at that rate of a dollar a week.

This is not a victimless situation; I won't call it a crime. People who are entitled to a card have to wait longer for books because of "non-paying customers" in the queue. Ultimately, the library's acquisitions include purchases necessitated by freeloaders. It's all part of that slippery digital slope where because the goods are not tangible, people think different rules apply.

So, yes, I do think libraries need to require renewal to flush out the deadbeats. A university library where I have borrowing privileges makes me renew in person annually. Anyone who lives, works, or owns property in Massachusetts can sign up online for a Boston Public Library card, but it expires in two years and you need to renew in person. Otherwise, the account is closed and you have to sign up again, which lets them verify.

I'm not the morality police; as I said, we almost all engage in fiddles of some sort. Ultimately, I'm just surprised at things people are open about.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal52 View Post
While I'm here, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows whether or not you can gain a library card in another county of your own State (online) if you live in a place that does have a library, but only one, and VERY limited?

Just wondering if any States allow for that "special" privilege?

I did write to California Libraries main site asking. But thought I may get an answer here from someone that has been able to do this. I will let you know what I find out in case there are any others maybe seeking the same kind of info
I live in Spain and I have paid library cards in Brooklyn Public Library (it has been told to me that they don't offer them anymore but I still can renew it) and Free Library of Philadelphia. Orange Count y in Florida offers it too (but more expensive). They need no justification, only identity proof and money.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote