Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quoting my post from another thread. Sorry, don't have any Androids anymore (at least none that are readily accessible).

You can notice the pillarboxing in portrait on 4:3 (~0.3" on both left and right margin). On 16:10, you'd have some letterboxing (~0.3" on both top and bottom margin). On 16:9, you'd have fairly large letterboxing (~0.7" on both top and bottom margin).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
American comics are typically 3:2/15:10 (6.75" x 10.125") which is close to the aspect ratio used on Android tablets (16:10 1280x800, 1920x1200). I think Japanese manga uses the same AR. For reading comics in portrait, then a 16:10 tablet fits better. Personally though, the weight distribution on 10.1" and bigger 16:10 tablets feel off to me. I like it on the 2013 Nexus 7, though.

However, I read in 2-page landscape mode and for that, 4:3 is more ideal. Besides, the 12.9" iPad is large enough to display comics full size in portrait (although you do get large margins).

4:3 is also closer to magazines, letter and A4 size paper.

Note: Text is perfectly clear and legible on the iPad mini 4. It's my camera and low light conditions that are at fault when it comes to the following pics.

From left to right:

iPad Pro 12.9, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad mini 4 (7.9)

iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 12.9, iPad mini 4 (7.9)

Bigger pics
Spoiler:

From left to right:

iPad Pro 12.9, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad mini 4 (7.9)

iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 12.9, iPad mini 4 (7.9)

ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Not strictly true. It should be noted that most Android tablets use 16:10 resolution, not 16:9. There's a notable difference.

Comics are around 15:10/3:2.

Code:
10.5" 4:3    5.6" x 8.4"
10.1" 16:10  5.4" x 8.0"
9.7"  4:3    5.2" x 7.8"
10.1" 16:9   5.0" x 7.4"
Thanks for the data. At any rate, the size of the image on the average Android tablet will be larger than the size of the same image on the average iPad or other 4:3 tablet. So based solely on screen size, the 16:10 would be a better device to read comics.

Now the iPad may have a better screen, better comic reading apps, etc. that make up for it. I'm just responding to the argument made in post number #10 (an argument I've seen before and believed until I bought a 4:3 tablet myself).

As mentioned, the 4:3 excels in landscape pages and with British comics.

I also forgot to mention that in your screenshot of Action #1,000, in every instance the iPad looked so much better than the paper comic. It was likely the lighting, but still, it was something to see.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 04-24-2018 at 04:44 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:42 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We're so busy discussing all these intricacies. I hope the OP found something helpful in here and made a decision.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:27 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Thanks for the data. At any rate, the size of the image on the average Android tablet will be larger than the size of the same image on the average iPad or other 4:3 tablet. So based solely on screen size, the 16:10 would be a better device to read comics.
As far as 16:10 Android being better than 4:3, strictly speaking that depends on screen size. At 9.7" 4:3 and 10.1" 16:10 set to fit to screen, the 10.1" 16:10 tablet displays the comic a bit larger. At 10.1" 4:3 and 10.1" 16:10, "fit to screen" comic size is the same.

For example, comparing the 16:10 7" Nexus 7 and 4:3 7.9" retina iPad mini, the retina mini would display the comic page at 4.2" x 6.3" while the Nexus 7 would display it at 3.7" x 5.6". The retina iPad mini also has 326 ppi which greatly helps with legibility/text sharpness at that screen size.

If Apple ends up standardizing their 10" class iPads to 10.5" and Androids don't follow suit, then "fit to screen" comic size on 10.5" iPads would be slightly bigger than on 10.1" 16:10 tablets (5.6" x 8.4" vs 5.4" x 8.0").

Quote:
Now the iPad may have a better screen, better comic reading apps, etc. that make up for it. I'm just responding to the argument made in post number #10 (an argument I've seen before and believed until I bought a 4:3 tablet myself).

As mentioned, the 4:3 excels in landscape pages and with British comics.
The iPad is relatively pricey. I prefer it since as I've mentioned previously, the AR is spot on for reading in 2-page landscape. I also find it to be a much better "generic" tablet compared to 16:10 Android particularly if a significant portion of usage is web browsing.

But yeah, if primarily using a tablet for video or comics (portrait mode), 16:10 works very well.

Quote:
I also forgot to mention that in your screenshot of Action #1,000, in every instance the iPad looked so much better than the paper comic. It was likely the lighting, but still, it was something to see.
While the lighting is partly to blame, the colors on the physical comic actually do look washed out compared to the iPads.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:36 PM   #20
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
I use an android tablet running Perfect viewer with a 256G SD card. Samsung Galaxy Tab A, I believe.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:02 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Hardware-wise, I really like the iPad. I've tried searching for 4:3 250+ ppi Android tablets with microSD card...
I think part of the reason Android tablets have been so quiet is because Chrome OS tablets are gearing up, now that Chrome OS also runs Android apps.

Have you seen the confusingly named Acer Chromebook Tab 10? It has 9.7-inch display (2048×1536, 264ppi) and 32GB storage and microSD reader. To be priced at $329. Sounds like it would suit your needs.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:27 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Not strictly true. It should be noted that most Android tablets use 16:10 resolution, not 16:9. There's a notable difference.

Comics are around 15:10/3:2.

Code:
10.5" 4:3    5.6" x 8.4"
10.1" 16:10  5.4" x 8.0" Not correct should be 5.37" x 8.6"
9.7"  4:3    5.2" x 7.8"
10.1" 16:9   5.0" x 7.4" Not correct should be 5.0 x 8.8"
For lots of comparisons see our wiki Screen sizes
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:29 PM   #23
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I think part of the reason Android tablets have been so quiet is because Chrome OS tablets are gearing up, now that Chrome OS also runs Android apps.

Have you seen the confusingly named Acer Chromebook Tab 10? It has 9.7-inch display (2048×1536, 264ppi) and 32GB storage and microSD reader. To be priced at $329. Sounds like it would suit your needs.
Too late to switch now. Our household is already too entrenched in iMessage, Continuity, etc to make the switch.

I'll likely buy a Chromebook Tab to play with but I doubt it'll replace my LTE iPads.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:32 PM   #24
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
For lots of comparisons see our wiki Screen sizes
Please note, those are not screen sizes. Rather, they're the size of comics in potrait when using fit to screen rounded off to the nearest 1/10th.

Most Android tablets are limited by width. iPads are limited by height.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-24-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Please note, those are not screen sizes. Rather, they're the size of comics in potrait when using fit to screen rounded off to the nearest 1/10th.

Most Android tablets are limited by width. iPads are limited by height.
Opps, sorry, I misunderstood.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Too late to switch now. Our household is already too entrenched in iMessage, Continuity, etc to make the switch.

I'll likely buy a Chromebook Tab to play with but I doubt it'll replace my LTE iPads.
I appreciate that they are rolling out what looks like a very nice device for a cheap price. I just wish it wasn't 4:3.

I'll still check it out. I'm curious how Android apps play on Chrome OS. My Chromebook is old enough I don't get to install Android apps on it.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #27
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I appreciate that they are rolling out what looks like a very nice device for a cheap price. I just wish it wasn't 4:3.

I'll still check it out. I'm curious how Android apps play on Chrome OS. My Chromebook is old enough I don't get to install Android apps on it.
If this had been released back in 2013 even at $499, I would've switched back then. Alas, we're too reliant on Apple services and iOS-specific apps now. The iPad's not simply a comic reader for me anymore. Besides, each family member has relatively recent iPads now (which, I expect, should be good for at least 3 more years). Replacing them en masse with Chromebook Tabs is an unnecessary expense.

In any case, the new device seems very interesting. It's been a long time since I last bought an Android tablet. I think Chrome OS + Android apps is probably a better route to take for tablets than pure Android. Definitely looking forward to a new toy to play with.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
If this had been released back in 2013 even at $499, I would've switched back then. Alas, we're too reliant on Apple services and iOS-specific apps now. The iPad's not simply a comic reader for me anymore. Besides, each family member has relatively recent iPads now (which, I expect, should be good for at least 3 more years). Replacing them en masse with Chromebook Tabs is an unnecessary expense.
Yeah, the eco-system is very real. I have a friend that was trying to talk me into an iPhone when AT&T was having a buy one get one free sale. But in the end, I just wasn't interested in moving to Apple, though I do think the iPhone is a nice piece of hardware.

Quote:
In any case, the new device seems very interesting. It's been a long time since I last bought an Android tablet. I think Chrome OS + Android apps is probably a better route to take for tablets than pure Android. Definitely looking forward to a new toy to play with.
Playing with a new device/OS can be a lot of fun. I bought a cheap Windows tablet to see how it functions on a tablet (pretty well. If Windows Phone had ever managed to compete, I could have happily moved over). One day I'm planning on picking up an old, cheap iPad, just to see what the app experience is like. Especially the comic reader apps, which is my primary use for a tablet.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #29
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Playing with a new device/OS can be a lot of fun. I bought a cheap Windows tablet to see how it functions on a tablet (pretty well. If Windows Phone had ever managed to compete, I could have happily moved over). One day I'm planning on picking up an old, cheap iPad, just to see what the app experience is like. Especially the comic reader apps, which is my primary use for a tablet.
For iPads, you can grab a 32GB Wi-Fi iPad (2017) for $240 from Apple's Refurb store. The savings aren't really worth going older given the marked performance difference even from just two generations prior (2013 iPad Air).

I've tried Windows tablets (even a Surface Pro) but was quite disappointed with the experience.

Chrome OS on tablet sounds quite promising, though.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:01 PM   #30
ysabelkid
ysabelkid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5, Cool Reader, Moon+
Quote:
We're so busy discussing all these intricacies. I hope the OP found something helpful in here and made a decision.
I haven't made a decision, yet - and haven't been able to access the forum for a few days, anyway - but there is so much useful information here that at least I can make an informed choice. Thank you all!
ysabelkid is offline   Reply With Quote