Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 04-06-2018, 11:15 PM   #1
Neverending
Neverending began at the beginning.

Device: none
Preferred Headphones/earbuds?

Hello!

What is everyone's preferred headphones/earbuds? I'm looking for something <100$, hopefully <50$.

In my experience wired usually breaks after long use, but I've purchased cheap bluetooth speakers in the past and they haven't worked so well. I listen to audio books (Audible is amazing) 3-5 hours a day maybe more and know I should invest in a good pair.

Honestly I'm looking for probably two pairs. A lower end for my 11 year old, and a good mid range bluetooth over the ear for myself. My daughter asked for earbuds. Any advice???
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Well, yes but I can't say I recommend the under $50 ones
I have two different bluetooth in ear and one over the ear headsets. I also have a couple of wired in ear headsets.

Bluetooth -
Apple airpods - these are what I use most. Very comfortable and very useful. Not cheap. ($140)
Zoyol bluetooth headphones - This is my back up that stays in my scottevest. They work and they are cheap ($20). Not sure how durable they are.

Sennheiser PXC 450 - great noise canceling over the ear headphone. This is what I use at the office where it can be pretty loud at times. They work great, but they definitely aren't cheap ($200+)

Wired -
Bose QuietComfort 20 - in ear noise canceling headset that is my other device for a loud environment. I tend to alternate between these and the over the ear. They are exceptional noise canceling headsets, but once again, not cheap - ($250)

I also have a number of wired earbuds from Kudo, a company that went belly up a few years ago. They are cheap but seem to be a lot more durable than most cheap wired headset.

I can't really recommend skullcandy headphones. I've bought 5 over the years and none lasted very long. The wires have a real tenancy to break. Perhaps others have had more luck.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
They are not cheap but true wireless earbuds are available. The cheapest start at about $100.00. Most run $150.00 to $200.00. Beware of the Bose SoundSport Free. If you are using a Win 10 Laptop or Tablet they do not connect via Bluetooth.
I like the Jabra Elite and they run about $150.00 online.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@Neverending: if passive noise cancelling is important to you, you might want to give ETY•Kids® Earphones a try. (Even though they're designed for kids they can also be used by adults.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:58 PM   #5
Neverending
Neverending began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks all for the advice, most of those are a bit more than I want to spend at the moment. I did see some Sennheiser hd 4.40 (both bluetooth and over ear) on eBay for about 60-70$. They seem to be of decent quality and supposedly have about 24hours of use on a charge. Since I'm using them mostly for audiobooks, these will probably be perfect.
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #6
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I use inexpensive earbuds at work to listen to podcasts. (I have a set of Beats earbuds -- bought during Black Friday for $50 -- that I use for other times.)

Personally, I like the Skullcandy Ink'd earbuds, but my current favorite are by Sony. I have a hard time finding earbuds that are comfortable to wear for a long time, and these are two that I replaced because I misplaced them, not because they broke or didn't sound good.

I've tried a couple of bluetooth ones, but have been unhappy with my experiences, so I don't have a recommendation there.

Last edited by sakura-panda; 04-09-2018 at 12:18 PM.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Not sure if you're specifically trying to block out noise around you. I like to listen to music and audiobooks at work, but I need to be able to hear if someone comes over to ask a question. So I use one of those Plantonics Marque M165 Bluetooth ear pieces. It plays mono for the music (hated sitting with one ear bud unconnected and missing out on "half the music" from a stereo set). For audiobooks, who cares anyway, right?

The battery life is around 6 hours (says 7, but it'll start to nag you at the 6th hour and won't quit). And since I listen to my audiobooks and music on my phone, if the phone rings, I can answer it immediately without picking it up.

One more benefit - at least for me. People tend not to interrupt unless it's a real question because they think I might be on the phone.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
JLabs J6M and J6MS. The S is for a single earbud. Very durable corded earbud(s) with audio quality plenty good for audiobooks (for me). $20.

I like corded earbuds since they don't have a separate battery that needs charging, and I may listen 8 hours on some days.

I use the J6MS so I can both listen and still be aware, at some level, of what's going on around me.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote