Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 10-01-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
tscaluser234
tscaluser234 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Will a Windows PC with touchscreen work with Calibre?

Does anyone know if a Windows PC with a touchscreen will work with Calibre? I see on the Calibre web site that it supports Windows 8 tablets, but I want to use a desktop PC with a touchscreen. The touchscreen should allow scrolling through the books with finger movements on the screen. Thanks!
tscaluser234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscaluser234 View Post
Does anyone know if a Windows PC with a touchscreen will work with Calibre? I see on the Calibre web site that it supports Windows 8 tablets, but I want to use a desktop PC with a touchscreen. The touchscreen should allow scrolling through the books with finger movements on the screen. Thanks!
Yes, and then "sort of".

Recent releases of calibre will play nice with a touch-based Windows machine to a degree, though some functions are difficult to use in a pure touch environment, particularly on a small screen.

The main library screen, both list view and cover view, function nicely using a touch screen. The Tag Viewer and other panels and dialogs, on the other hand, have no special touch functionality. You have to rely on dragging the scroll "thumb" like you would with a mouse. This is rather difficult to access and control on a small screen, though it shouldn't be too difficult on a large display.

My only touch experience with calibre is on an 8" Dell tablet. It is my primary calibre machine, though I keep a reasonably up-to-date copy of my library on my desktop machine and use that for any significant use of calibre's Editor. I've used the TouchMousePointer utility for several years to emulate mouse functionality. This has made calibre, and other applications, more usable on my little Dell.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
AndyK
AndyK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7, iPad 2b
I use Calibre on my Dell XPS 13 Touch. I switch between the keyboard and touch because as noted, some of the dialogs are not touch friendly. I do believe you could use a pure touch scenario with Calibre but that this will require patience and discipline.
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
tscaluser234
tscaluser234 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks! that is very helpful. The device will be for a user with limited vision. They only need to open and scroll through books. I will do some more research. Thanks again!
tscaluser234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:55 AM   #5
karta
karta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: RCA
I use Calibre on a win10 touch dual, but rarely use touch with it. I like the keyboard .
karta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #6
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Yes I have no problems reading and editing on my touchscreen. (Galaxy Book Win 10)
It is a little faster using the stylus but no problem either way.
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have a Surface Pro 4 and have Calibre on it. It works fine although, as others have said< I wished more functions were touch friendly. I am waiting for an update that will allow me to scroll through the main library screen without using the scroll bar on the side.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have a Surface Pro 4 and have Calibre on it. It works fine although, as others have said< I wished more functions were touch friendly. I am waiting for an update that will allow me to scroll through the main library screen without using the scroll bar on the side.
Apache
That's the one function I'd love to have in Calibre...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, touchsceen, windows