Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-26-2020, 04:58 PM   #121
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Man, we had this debate years ago. Your statement is just your opinion, and one that I would consider to be wrong. For centuries, a book is made up of sheets of material bound together along one side, usually with two covers. It describes the physical packaging, not the contents. You can have a book of matches, coupons, tickets, paint or carpet samples, cheques/checks... none of which have any kind of story or exposition in them. My 1970 American Heritage Dictionary does not have any definitions that make "book" synonymous with a novel, or reference document, or any other type of contents.

Yes, plenty of people refer to the contents as the "book", and it is generally accepted without quibbling, but turning that around and insisting that it is wrong to use the old and proper definition of "book" is going too far.

So, leave the title alone.
I am not wrong. What is wrong is saying that an eBook is not a book but a pBook is a book. Just because an eBook is not a physical thing does not mean it is not a book. Is a digital photo any less of of a picture because it's not printed on photo paper? Is my vote in the Presidential election not valid because I did it digitally?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:08 PM   #122
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
From the context of the original post - is the book STORE. It was a nostalgic post in that I, who used to LOVE book stores and libraries....almost never go to one any more. eReading has near completely taken over for me. And I'm quite happy with that.

However, it was NICE to go buy a "real book". To fell them. To smell them. To walk around the store and discover them. It's DIFFERENT than book discovery on Amazon, here in this place, or anywhere else on the web.

Even though it was a nice experience, I have not gone back to a book store since I wrote that post. The advantages of reading an ebook are overwhelming....for me. But...I sure hope enough of YOU go out there and buy real books at real book stores so that....on occasion, I can still go to one too.
An eBook is a "REAL BOOK". I'm sorry you don't think so. But a book is not the container. It's the content.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:00 PM   #123
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
An eBook is a "REAL BOOK". I'm sorry you don't think so. But a book is not the container. It's the content.
I don't disagree in principal. I'm one who considers listening to an audio book "the same" as reading a book.

Buuuuut......I think I'm not the only one who has a nostalgia for the physical book experience that comes in a book store or library...and DOES NOT come with acquiring and reading an ebook.

I could have said "physical book" instead of "real book"....but didn't want to
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:10 PM   #124
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have not read a pBook since January 2020.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:24 PM   #125
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am not wrong. What is wrong is saying that an eBook is not a book but a pBook is a book. Just because an eBook is not a physical thing does not mean it is not a book. Is a digital photo any less of of a picture because it's not printed on photo paper? Is my vote in the Presidential election not valid because I did it digitally?
So, you want to call an ebook a "book" to make sure it gets the same amount of respect as the printed version, and you don't care that it makes no sense in the context of other kinds of books (match, check, paint sample,...). Okay, I get where you're coming from, but you are not going to convince me that I'm wrong in sticking to the definition of "book" that makes sense in the context of all those objects that are bound together on one side.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:11 PM   #126
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
From the context of the original post - is the book STORE. It was a nostalgic post in that I, who used to LOVE book stores and libraries....almost never go to one any more. eReading has near completely taken over for me. And I'm quite happy with that.

However, it was NICE to go buy a "real book". To fell them. To smell them. To walk around the store and discover them. It's DIFFERENT than book discovery on Amazon, here in this place, or anywhere else on the web.

Even though it was a nice experience, I have not gone back to a book store since I wrote that post. The advantages of reading an ebook are overwhelming....for me. But...I sure hope enough of YOU go out there and buy real books at real book stores so that....on occasion, I can still go to one too.
I am in exactly the same position. I share your feelings.

I would also add second hand bookshops to your list. I loved those places. You never knew what you might find and the smell of the books.

I like to think of heaven being like the "Library of Babel" except it has helpful librarians and a perfect , instantaneous retrieval system. It also has cafeterias every few galleries. Hell would be the "Library of Babel" without librarians, retrieval system, cafeterias and other people.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:22 PM   #127
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Looks to me the idea of the printed books decline is based on what is happening in the "western world". I came across a YouTube video about Jimbocho (booktown) in Japan & it does look like printed books are still being read/sold.

Is it because the printed books have not been upscaled in size as some (many) books in the west?

Even came across a shopping mall in Seoul Korea that featured a gigantic book store(?) where the books near the ceiling is not readily assessible.

Any idea why the used/new book stores are not shutting down in Asia; have not seen anything about what is happening in China.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:38 AM   #128
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Any further posts in this thread on what is or is not a real book will be deleted without notice. As will any replies.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:40 AM   #129
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I must admit, I can't remember the last time I was in a bookshop, new or second-hand.

There is something to be said for the serendipitous discovery of a new book, but I also remember hours scouring bookshelves for new books to read.

I'm a lot happier now with a large stock of ebooks on hand, and immediately available.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:51 AM   #130
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Once in a while when I see a bookstore I'll feel a little nostalgic and stop in and start browsing. The nostalgia lasts a few minutes, and than it's meh, and I move on.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:30 AM   #131
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I miss serendipity. That goes for libraries, too. The new book shelves. The stacks. And another unmourned dinosaur, the card catalogue. Thinking about the last now, I can evoke so many sensations: the physical heft of the drawers, the chunk as you slung it onto a table, the feel of the cards. And yet to think of all the hours and hours it took to maintain.

I also miss the rush. Not only when I discovered a book new to me that was exactly the thing, but I also used to haunt antiquarian bookstores and fairs. Some books were years in the finding. Now? You go to addall or a similar site, see what’s out there (and you see it all), and buy or don’t buy. It’s not the same. Overall, it’s better, but there’s still a loss associated with no longer procuring pbooks in person. I still read pbooks on occasion, courtesy of the real library, when it’s the only way to procure a book at all or it’s not affordable in digital, but I bought my last pbook in 2016.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #132
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I must admit, I can't remember the last time I was in a bookshop, new or second-hand.

There is something to be said for the serendipitous discovery of a new book, but I also remember hours scouring bookshelves for new books to read.

I'm a lot happier now with a large stock of ebooks on hand, and immediately available.
This. I have not been in a book store in many years. I still miss the browsing and the discovery of a new book to read.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #133
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I agree. That's why I almost never go to book stores anymore. But, what I have gained with eReading has come at a cost to OTHER aspects of the "book experience" that I used to, and still enjoy.

I should just go and have "book date night" with my wife from time to time. She loves book stores as much as I do.

But...while she is quite happy to read a physical book....I can't stand it anymore. Truly. I really hate reading physical books beyond the first couple pages.

I want to change the size of the fonts, the brightness of the light. I want to pick up any of my devices and continue reading from wherever I left off. I want a nice flat screen that I can hold more easily. Etc.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #134
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Once in a while when I see a bookstore I'll feel a little nostalgic and stop in and start browsing. The nostalgia lasts a few minutes, and than it's meh, and I move on.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:43 PM   #135
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
I agree. That's why I almost never go to book stores anymore. But, what I have gained with eReading has come at a cost to OTHER aspects of the "book experience" that I used to, and still enjoy..
In the UK specialist book stores both new and secondhand are dying beasts. There are fewer and fewer of them every year. In my old home town of Doncaster there are a couple of paperback exchanges left and as far as I know, That is all. There used to be two specialist booksellers in the town centre and several seconhand book sellers outside the centre. These have all gone over the years. I used to miss them.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote