Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I use ChareInk for the type of eBooks that have words.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #62
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
In general, I favor Bookerly the most, and that's what I installed on my Kindle DX after jailbreaking it. But I keep a variety of different fonts on my Touch, Paperwhite 4, and Likebook Mars, and I use different fonts every now and then, though I don't strictly assign any to particular genres. One of my favorite fonts, particularly for novels in Moon+ Reader, is Lora. This is a good-looking transitional serif font with capitals and numerals that align well, thanks to generally fitting in a rectangular area that doesn't overlap with other characters or descend below the baseline. The tail of the Q might go down a little bit, but it doesn't go underneath other characters.

Amasis30, which came on my Nook, is a compact slab serif that resembles Bookerly. I have found it good for reading non-fiction on my Paperwhite. Malabar, which also came on my Nook, is one that I favored on my Kindle Touch, because it tended to be bolder and bigger than other fonts. But since my Paperwhite 4 lets me control levels of boldness, and Moon+ Reader gives me more fine-tuned control over font size, its advantages are not as important on these devices. When I try it out on my Likebook Mars, I usually go back to Lora. Literata looks good, but I usually favor Bookerly over it.

Moon+ Reader Pro comes with a font called Calluna, which is very nice, but I use it only with that app.

I sometimes use Tex Gyre Schola or FreeSerif for non-fiction. The former is based on Century Schoolbook, which was designed for school books, and the latter is my favorite Times New Roman alternative. I also recently used constan in Moon+ Reader for non-fiction. I also sometimes use EB Garamond.

When a book has a Publisher font, I usually use that if it is legible enough. If it's sans-serif, though, I usually find something to replace it. I rarely use sans-serif, but I have read some science fiction using the Ubuntu font.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:30 AM   #63
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
I know everybody hates this font but I love Comic Sans. I have it set as the main font in Windows and on my Android tablet and, of course, in Moon+ Reader where I read all of my e-books.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:41 AM   #64
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
I know everybody hates this font but I love Comic Sans.
I don't hate it, in fact I've long wondered why so many do, and why they hate it with the sort of ferocious passion that should reserved for truly unconscionable moral aberrations, like decaffeinated coffee. Then again, I don't get the widespread fixation on ligatures either, so I'm clearly font blind. But at least you're not alone.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:08 AM   #65
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I don't hate it, in fact I've long wondered why so many do, and why they hate it with the sort of ferocious passion that should reserved for truly unconscionable moral aberrations, like decaffeinated coffee. Then again, I don't get the widespread fixation on ligatures either, so I'm clearly font blind. But at least you're not alone.
Generally people hate it because it shows up in the weirdest places. It is a decent font for those who are dyslexic, though, even if I think it's ugly so eh. Ugly is fine as long as its legible to the target demographic.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashira View Post
Generally people hate it because it shows up in the weirdest places. It is a decent font for those who are dyslexic, though, even if I think it's ugly so eh. Ugly is fine as long as its legible to the target demographic.
But one thing you can try for someone who is dyslexic is different colors. I know someone who finds green text on a black background helps in readability.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #67
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashira View Post
Having looked at several items about Comic Sans a few months back, it appears that most of Comic Sans reputation as being good for dyslexics is an urban myth based mostly on recommendations by British Dyslexia Association. There is little support from any scientific studies.

One study to look at might be Good Fonts for Dyslexia. While Comic Sans is not mentioned, it does qualify as a san-serif font.

Looking at several other studies, it would appear that most of the "dyslexic" fonts show no real advantage for most dyslexic readers. All too often, the results came down to what font the reader is most comfortable reading with.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:46 AM   #68
AccidentallyLazy
AccidentallyLazy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Capita by Hoftype. It looks very much like Bookerly, however has improved (to me) ligatures for glyphs such as 'Th' 'ff' 'fl' 'fi' 'fj' etc.
AccidentallyLazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #69
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentallyLazy View Post
Capita by Hoftype.
I use Bookerly most of the time. I'd prefer Capita over Bookerly, because the ligatures are indeed beautiful, but it's 43 EURO for each individual style, so Bookerly it is
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:25 PM   #70
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I've been using Volkhov for everything since I downloaded it.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:24 AM   #71
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I recently discovered Egyptian Slate Pro, from Cufonts. I like it very much and its design is suitable to workaround the lack of ligatures in Kepub and AZW3. Good also on Epub on Kobo (but I still use Bookerly more often) and on Pocketbook (where I use it). To use it on Kobo You need to rename the files as usual.
With KFX it doesn't look good. And also with Koreader it is not rendered well, especially on my Kobo.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:53 AM   #72
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I use Bookerly on my Paperwhite and have for a couple of weeks used some built-in serif font in my Onyx and Hisense devices. I really prefer the aesthetics of serif fonts, but seem to read sans fonts much faster.

Is there any research on reading speed and comprehension using serif vs. sans?
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:05 AM   #73
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
I use Bookerly on my Paperwhite and have for a couple of weeks used some built-in serif font in my Onyx and Hisense devices. I really prefer the aesthetics of serif fonts, but seem to read sans fonts much faster.

That is a good example of what strange of a font some people made: https://sansforgetica.rmit.edu.au
it comes with a bit of explanation also
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:42 AM   #74
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
It seems to depend on:
  1. Font Size. Sans can work well for headings.
  2. Resolution of display / paper print. Sans is better on say a 5 x 7 dot cell than serif! At high resolutions, the sans looses that advantage.
  3. What people are used to reading. If they read lots of novels they may find serif better. If they read loads of Sans web pages, then Sans.
Note that eink panels are poorer apparent resolution than a full range CRT, Plasma, LCD, OLED of similar resolution because they have black, white and 14 shades. Also no clever font enhancement that LCD or OLED does using RGB so called subpixel addressing.

The cheaper 6" and old DXG are about 160 dpi yet look worse than 133 dpi LCD. Some larger panels are 267 dpi, approx, much much better. Most 5" eink are the same number of pixels as 6" basic panel, thus serif looks better as the actual dpi is higher.
Really the 267 and 300 dpi panels are the minimum for relaxed reading at a normal printed font size. You'd want maybe higher resolution for same quality as decent mass market or pocket book paper book set in the smallest fonts. Some of those now are too poorly printed.

Short answer:
There is no conclusive answer.
There is also no evidence that the Open Dyslexic font is any help. I read that and tested a Dyslexic young woman. She thought regular sized Georgia was best and found Open Dyslexic really hard to read. She'd never seen an ereader and was very taken with it. Especially being able to make the text a little larger than typical in books.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-16-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:54 PM   #75
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I think it was @JSWolf who made and/or modified the ChareInk font available here, and it has become my goto Roman font on my Kobo, absolutely love it!
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote