Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
UK Advert for Kindle 3

Just saw an advertisement for the Kindle 3 on UK television.

What struck me about it was that it showed a father and son both reading their Kindles on a beach.

Would you take your Kindle on a beach? Wouldn't getting sand in it be potentially disastrous?

I know I wouldn't take my Sony on to a beach unprotected.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What channel was it on, Bilbo? I've not seen any adverts yet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it was ITV.

It was a very un-informative advert; more of a teaser. Just showed the man and boy (presumably father and son) sat on deckchairs on the beach reading their Kindles. The only text at the end was something like "The new Kindle. Only £109".
Old 08-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
The "beach" environment couldn't be more harsh on electronics items: corrosive, salty sand and water are dire enemies of such items.

Didn't see your ad yet - but we have "beach" ads in the US in print and on TV. Guess Amazon wants us to know that the unit is readable in bright lighting conditions.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I take my Kindle to the beach. I have a water proof cover that I use. It keeps out the sand and occassional splashes of water. I know folks who bought the MEdge Guardian specifically so that they could read in the pool and on boats.

I spent a week at the beach and the best part was boogy boarding. The second best part was reading in between boogy boarding sessions.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
The ad that's currently running in the U.S. shows a man and woman sitting in beach chairs on the beach. They're more about creating a mood than being informative.

The previous Kindle ads were more about the "adventures" that you'll experience by reading on a Kindle. They also offered no information about the Kindle. They were unique because they were a series of still shots with the models laying on the floor on various colored backgrounds and shot from overhead while various props and costumes were moved around, over, and under them. You can see them on YouTube

Last edited by TomF; 08-30-2010 at 04:19 PM.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
The ad that's currently running in the U.S. shows a man and woman sitting in beach chairs on the beach. They're more about creating a mood than being informative.
OK - just seen it again (Channel 5 this time, Harry) and it is a man and a woman (not a man and a boy as I first thought). I think it must be the same one TomF is talking about.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... a man and woman ... beach chairs ... creating a mood ...

A whole new generation of "pick-up lines" is evolving ...

"Hey baby, bet my capacity is larger than yours."
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
I figured it was more of a "can't do this with your iPad now can ya?" play. Daylight readability is one of their big differentiators.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I figured it was more of a "can't do this with your iPad now can ya?" play. Daylight readability is one of their big differentiators.
Absolutely, I'm sure that they want you to notice that the couple is on the beach in the sunlight but they don't say anything, they just have the music playing. I think it plays off the same mood that the Corona beer commercials create since they begin almost identically.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I used to take my Kindle to the beach. As long as you don't throw/drop it in the water - there is no problem. The only place where sand can potentially get into are cover hinge sockets and they are relatively easy to clean.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote