Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, we don't know this. Nobody has any hard facts to back it up. Maybe Amazon has managed to get the publishers to drop prices just for them. We just don't know.
True I guess we don't, although when the K1 came out some publishers did emphatically state that they weren't giving Amazon any special deals.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #17
spec2
Enthusiast
spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
True I guess we don't, although when the K1 came out some publishers did emphatically state that they weren't giving Amazon any special deals.
OK, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense on Amazon's part. Most likely they are selling the Kindle near cost. If the books are loss leaders too then they have to hope people keep browsing the site and buying other items -- EXCEPT Kindle downloads are wireless and don't go through the normal check out. In fact you don't even have to go online you can buy direct from the Kindle.

So if Amazon is losing money on the Kindle and Kindle books to corner the market that skirting the law at best. Carnegie did that with the railroads and helped to trigger the trust busting laws we still have on the books.

Of course I doubt that is what is happening. Personally I don't believe the publishers. The pricing gaps are just too wide between sellers.

Last edited by spec2; 03-24-2009 at 05:33 PM.
spec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec2 View Post
OK, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense on Amazon's part. Most likely they are selling the Kindle near cost. If the books are loss leaders too then they have to hope people keep browsing the site and buying other items -- EXCEPT Kindle downloads are wireless and don't go through the normal check out. In fact you don't even have to go online you can buy direct from the Kindle.
Who says the Kindle is a loss leader? For the price it's certainly in line with everything else out there.

Quote:
Of course I doubt that is what is happening. Personally I don't believe the publishers. The pricing gaps are just too wide between sellers.
Anything's possible and we'll probably never really know. Amazon gets around 65% of the cover price while the publisher only gets 35%. If Amazon is willing to only make 20-30% or less on a book that gives them lots of room. Also very few books really fall into this category. The vast majority don't have a whole lot of difference in price from other sellers (especially once they hit mass market pricing).

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-24-2009 at 08:23 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #19
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
For many of the current-release books that most interest me, I'm seeing a price difference of only $2.00 between the Sony store and Amazon. For example:Now, I started with the bestsellers list at the Sony store. But looking at the no-longer-new-releases, it does look like the prices at the Sony store and Amazon are moving much more closely together. Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich is $15.37 at both stores. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is $7.19 at Amazon and $10.79 at Sony.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote