Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #631
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
red and green leds don't put out UV.
They might however, put out IR 'light'.

@Plumadona how did you get your 1000 books on the Oasis?
I done 100 books, 10 at a time from the browser, and it took forever!
Pressing 'sync', doesn't really sync the books to the device.

I like how the screen saver doesn't turn on easily anymore.
Hated the swipe to unlock feat, but with ~ds I think I might just see my ebook.

Things I do hate about the oasis:
1- Cold feeling metal back (also heavier than plastic)
2- Non-removable battery (seems like yet another 3 years lasting device, before garbage-ing it).
3- The swipe to unlock feat. (see point 4)
4- Finger smudges are so visible on this screen, especially around the black border
5- Battery life is well below 10% of how long I wanted it to last. Yes, I'm thinking 30 days, not 3 days!
6- Screen light stays on, even at setting zero!
7- No night mode screen light (screen light is bright white, not adjustable to a more yellowish tint)
8- Sleeve doesn't expand battery life
9- Almost zero choices available for the new Oasis sleeves.
10- Price, Price, and price! For the hardware that it has, it should be compared to a 5 years old smartphone (or older), so the hardware should be dirt cheap.
It doesn't even have a full 8GB available (only 6GB available).

If they were smart, they could make the oasis literally for a few pennies and a dollar!
Sell them for $50, and still make profit; for real,
No charger included either.
$50 isn't too much for a reader like this.
$250 is about 5x too much.

Am I a happy camper?
Not really.
I feel like people that bought an original IPhone, when it came out.
Spent a buckload of money, only to see it being outdated, and well overpriced 6 months later.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #632
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver View Post
I'd be interested to hear from people who think their Kindle has a more yellow or orange light how that compares to mine.
In a dark room I need to add about 10-20% blue filter on my galaxy s8+ to somewhat match the top part of your oasis to mine. The blue bottom left corner needs a little more. Very hard to tell since the light is so different - the Oasis is not viewing angle depend while the OLED screen on phone is.

I would not be able to enjoy reading with the natural light setting so high on the Kobo - I prefer to have a more whitish page. In the dark I have my Oasis between 6 and 8.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #633
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
from my personal experience with ereaders in hand, for screen contrast ratio wise, kobo H2O is noticeably better than kobo aura one(some said it has same screen as kobo H2O ed 2), and kobo aura one is noticeably better than oasis 2 and pw3(these two have same level contrast ratio, or pw3 is slightly better than oasis 2).
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #634
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver View Post

The Kindle is definitely clearer (for starters, its 300dpi vs 268dpi).
i feel contrast ratio plays much more important role on feeling clearer than dpi.
my kobo touch (A, not B or C) looks much clearer than H2O or oasis 2 in room light because it has highest contrast ratio despite it has lowest dpi.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #635
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Yes, my mistake, I was thinking "white" leds which are either blue or uv based, probably blue to make it cheaper.
Quote:
If you are okay with the KFX version of your books, it is easier to simply turn wifi on, go in cloud ("all") and click all books in list view, then go to next page, click all again. Goes pretty quick and you don't have to wait for the downloads to finish before clicking more.
Quote:
Not true, only if you are in inverted mode. Black text with white background turns light off at 0. You might need to update to 5.9.2 for this, cannot remember if the FW that shipped turned light off.
Quote:
10- Price, Price, and price! For the hardware that it has, it should be compared to a 5 years old smartphone (or older), so the hardware should be dirt cheap.
You are underestimating the cost of the screen. Show me a 7" tablet with a 300 ppi screen for $50, please. I would gladly buy one.
Advert
Old 12-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #636
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Duckie, even with inverted, at setting '0', the screen still emits light.

To be fair with you, any tablet with 300ppi screen, would be comparable to an e-ink screen with 900 pixels, as tablets have about 3 color pixels per pixel.
Remember the Jetbook Color, with it's 1600 by 1200 pixels (if I'm not mistaken)?
Turns out it used 4 pixels per pixel, and thus was comparable to a large size 800x600 pixel ebook reader.
So a 300dpi e-ink screen compares to a 100dpi color screen. You can find many 100dpi tablets for that price.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #637
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vostro View Post
i feel contrast ratio plays much more important role on feeling clearer than dpi.
my kobo touch (A, not B or C) looks much clearer than H2O or oasis 2 in room light because it has highest contrast ratio despite it has lowest dpi.
DPI has been less of an issue in most cases indeed. I have a 320x240 pix LED ebook reader, and can read ebooks fine on it.
The main issue is when you get font sizes below 10pt, they noticeably become grainier.
10-12 pt was the smallest on that 320x240 pix device to read, and I believe 7pt is about the smallest you can read on modern e-ink screens.

The larger the size, the lower the DPI is, to give similar imagery (eg: the Oasis has a 7" 300DPI screen, which would be harder to read, than a 14" screen at 150DPI.
Either screen will be able to display a minimum pt of around 7pt, but the 14" will look significantly grainier, despite it being easier to read.

DPI becomes an issue when trying to squeeze as much text in a window as possible.
For people who have good eyes, 300DPI is good, but 200DPI or below is barely able to show fluid (non-jagged) text lines.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #638
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Duckie, even with inverted, at setting '0', the screen still emits light.
What I was saying. You made it sound like it always stays on no matter which mode. Very annoying that it won't turn off in inverted.
Quote:

To be fair with you, any tablet with 300ppi screen, would be comparable to an e-ink screen with 900 pixels, as tablets have about 3 color pixels per pixel.
Remember the Jetbook Color, with it's 1600 by 1200 pixels (if I'm not mistaken)?
Turns out it used 4 pixels per pixel, and thus was comparable to a large size 800x600 pixel ebook reader.
So a 300dpi e-ink screen compares to a 100dpi color screen. You can find many 100dpi tablets for that price.
Not really. Go ahead and read on a 100dpi tablet. Tell me how you like that. And you mean 600, not 900. LCD is also very much cheaper to produce than eink.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #639
ProDigit
Karmaniac

No, I meant 900. Not 600.
And a 100DPI color screen looks worse if it's used as a color screen.
But pixel per pixel, it has the same amount of pixels as a 300DPI eink screen.
If it would display in a similar manner, text on the screen would have subpixel rendering issues.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #640
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
No, I meant 900. Not 600.
And a 100DPI color screen looks worse if it's used as a color screen.
But pixel per pixel, it has the same amount of pixels as a 300DPI eink screen.
If it would display in a similar manner, text on the screen would have subpixel rendering issues.
Your math is way off since you are thinking one dimensional and not two dimensional. A 174 dpi color screen has about the same amount of sub pixel (if you count 3 sub pixel) as a 300 dpi b/w screen. A 300 dpi color screen that has 3 sub pixel is about 519 dpi altogether.

Also worthy of note is that some 300dpi color screens do NOT have 3 sub pixel for every pixel, but less as some sub pixel are shared.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 12-26-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:03 PM   #641
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by vostro View Post
from my personal experience with ereaders in hand, for screen contrast ratio wise, kobo H2O is noticeably better than kobo aura one(some said it has same screen as kobo H2O ed 2), and kobo aura one is noticeably better than oasis 2 and pw3(these two have same level contrast ratio, or pw3 is slightly better than oasis 2).
Take some pictures!
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #642
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Your math is way off since you are thinking one dimensional and not two dimensional. A 174 dpi color screen has about the same amount of sub pixel (if you count 3 sub pixel) as a 300 dpi b/w screen. A 300 dpi color screen that has 3 sub pixel is about 519 dpi altogether.

Also worthy of note is that some 300dpi color screens do NOT have 3 sub pixel for every pixel, but less as some sub pixel are shared.
99% of color screens out there, have 3 sub pixels. And the majority of the remaining 1% actually have more than 3 sub pixels (4 or more); not less.
A screen with 2 sub pixels, isn't going to display colors correctly.

I'll admit that I counted the 300DPI as a linear Dots Per Inch, and not Dots Per Square Inch.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:45 PM   #643
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:

I like how the screen saver doesn't turn on easily anymore.
Hated the swipe to unlock feat, but with ~ds I think I might just see my ebook.

1- Cold feeling metal back (also heavier than plastic)
2- Non-removable battery (seems like yet another 3 years lasting device, before garbage-ing it).
3- The swipe to unlock feat. (see point 4)
4- Finger smudges are so visible on this screen, especially around the black border
5- Battery life is well below 10% of how long I wanted it to last. Yes, I'm thinking 30 days, not 3 days!
7- No night mode screen light (screen light is bright white, not adjustable to a more yellowish tint)
8- Sleeve doesn't expand battery life
9- Almost zero choices available for the new Oasis sleeves.
It doesn't even have a full 8GB available (only 6GB available).

If they were smart, they could make the oasis literally for a few pennies and a dollar!
Sell them for $50, and still make profit; for real,
No charger included either.
$50 isn't too much for a reader like this.
$250 is about 5x too much.

Am I a happy camper?
Not really.
I feel like people that bought an original IPhone, when it came out.
Spent a buckload of money, only to see it being outdated, and well overpriced 6 months later.

You can buy cases from non amazon companies on ebay. I do not see fingerprints on mine and i do not feel cold metal unless my apartment is cold or if it is near a draft for a while. I do agree on the battery. I think it is Bullsh*t for Amazon to claim 6 weeks. I keep mine on airplane mode, light setting is between 10 and 14 and I read 30 minutes to an hour a day. sometimes less I should thus get at least 2 to 3 weeks between charges. I charge it once or twice a week. I mean its no big deal but the fact they advertise otherwise is a big deal

I do not understand the difficulty to get books on your device. it sync's up when yu first register it and you have to tap the bottom of book image and it downloads.

I like my Nook Glowlight 3. Has orange screen for night reading

Last edited by HLS; 12-26-2017 at 10:50 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:03 PM   #644
vostro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Take some pictures!
h2o(left) vs oasis 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	160964  
Old 12-26-2017, 11:05 PM   #645
vostro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Take some pictures!
h2o(left) vs aura one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	160965