Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #31
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Perhaps I just don't read enough colour books to see why this matters. Almost everything I read is monochrome, and the occasional coloured chart is not worth losing the benefits of e-ink to see better. As for colour e-ink, it's reportedly still worse in numerous dimensions than B&W, including refresh time, total lifetime, and resolution. If a colour Kindle came out with all of those worse, would it be a net benefit? I really don't think so. Most books are mostly monochrome.
I think you've misunderstood. He's saying the screen has uneven color (white to gray or yellow) not that it doesn't even have color.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:35 PM   #32
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
And apologies, - for number 4, I didn't mean what you think I mean. I meant evenness of color - as in it's yellowy on the right of the screen, and not "even". I edited the post to reflect that.
Oh right. I think I'm either very lucky or I have really bad colour vision, because I can never see this. At all brightness levels it seems perfectly even to me. It frankly seems supernatural, even though I know how it's done. Light coming from one edge shouldn't work that way! (And, for you, it seems it doesn't...)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #33
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkindlefun View Post
The disappointing part is that they clearly can produce a near perfect specimen because we've seen them. It's not that the technology isn't there, it's simply that they don't keep that production standard.
Yeah, they seem to be persistently trying to stretch the production envelope. What might happen -- what has often happened with earlier Kindles -- is that in a few months these niggles will be sorted out and consistency will rise and you'll all be able to get Oases that look as good as mine does without having to win a production lottery first. (No, you can't have mine! )
Old 04-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #34
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Yeah, they seem to be persistently trying to stretch the production envelope. What might happen -- what has often happened with earlier Kindles -- is that in a few months these niggles will be sorted out and consistency will rise and you'll all be able to get Oases that look as good as mine does without having to win a production lottery first. (No, you can't have mine! )
Can you post a pic of yours?
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #35
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I don't really believe that any longer, not after getting the Voyage. I bought mine less than a month ago, and the frontlight is far from even. So I don't think it really matters whether I order the Oasis now or a year later, it will still be a lottery.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #36
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I don't really believe that any longer, not after getting the Voyage. I bought mine less than a month ago, and the frontlight is far from even. So I don't think it really matters whether I order the Oasis now or a year later, it will still be a lottery.
This 100%. Even people who say theirs is perfect - when they post pictures - the more discerning among us are like... "NOPE!"
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #37
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This 100%. Even people who say theirs is perfect - when they post pictures - the more discerning among us are like... "NOPE!"
Well, I believe that there probably are much better Voyage screens out there than mine. Still, the blotches are not particularly visible in my typical reading conditions (I never read in the dark), so I'm not terribly bothered by it. I still like my Voyage, and I think I'm going to like my Oasis too.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #38
NullNix
Guru

Quote:
Can you post a pic of yours?
Sure, though it'll do no good. Attached: one in lighted room with light at 13; one in a darker (but still lit) room, light at 8. No shots in full sunlight (because it's night here), none in a dark room (because the camera canna handle it without flash).

Note: shadow cones are clearly visible in the dark shot, but they're visible only to the camera: the same is true of the apparent brightness variation/shadow cone on the right of the light shot. To my eyes, both are entirely invisible and the screens are unvarying brightness fields: a clear consequence of the human eye's logarithmic intensity response versus a CCD's more nearly linear one.

This effect in particular is one reason why all such pictures should be more or less totally ignored, and posting them is a waste of time: the light you're seeing when you look at those images is the light from an almost-certainly-uncalibrated LCD screen with brightness response that depends mostly on screen age and manufacturing variation, after being picked up by a camera CCD with completely different optical properties to the human eye; the result bears little to no resemblance to the light being emitted by the actual Kindle and which your eye will thus see completely differently. To my eye, and I believe to any normally functioning human eye, the dark shot of my particular Kindle screen would look like an unvarying colour plane. I have extremely good night vision (perhaps to compensate for my crazy myopia!), normally go around with the house lights off, and routinely read on intensity zero on the PW1 after only a few minutes of adaptation time. If anyone can spot light intensity variations on this Kindle, it should be me. I can't. Amazon did not optimize their Kindle screens and lighting systems for cameras: it optimized them for human eyes. Unfortunately I have no way of detaching your eyes and transporting them here to see what I see... ah well!

As with all of biology, the degree of logarithmic response varies between individuals and can even vary between eyes in one individual (it is in part a property of both the neural architecture in each eye, and of the neural architecture of the visual cortex). It is quite possible that the people perennially dissatisfied with lighted Kindle screens simply have a less intense logarithmic response than those who are satisfied. I wonder if people who are dissatisfied have relatively poor night vision and are easily dazzled in bright sunlight? (Though this is also influenced by factors varying from rate and degree of iris dilation through to things in the higher levels of the visual cortex, so again shouldn't be taken as any sort of real evidence of anything. Vision is *complicated*.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	148283   Click image for larger version

Name:	dark.jpg
Views:	1088
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	148284  
Old 04-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #39
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, I believe that there probably are much better Voyage screens out there than mine. Still, the blotches are not particularly visible in my typical reading conditions (I never read in the dark), so I'm not terribly bothered by it. I still like my Voyage, and I think I'm going to like my Oasis too.
Your quote makes me wonder something.
I wonder if it is because we set the lights to our comfortable level in whatever light we are in.
Heck, I made my unlit K4 have splotches the other day. I turned it until the sun was directly hitting it.
On reading, we aren't trying to see if we can see splotches. We just want to comfortably read.
On my backlit tablet, I generally keep it at 1% light in the house.
Anything higher gives me a headache.
I do have to turn it up if I want to show anyone else anything on it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:17 PM   #40
NullNix
Guru

Quote:
As my post above has mentioned, this is a property of the *pictures*, and more particularly of the camera, not of the Kindles. All you're proving is that a camera is not an eye.

(Try taking a picture of some screen you think *is* evenly lit with a camera. It'll probably come out looking uneven!)
Old 04-27-2016, 08:17 PM   #41
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
The lighting on my new Oasis looks good to me, and I love the ergonomics. For me, it's a keeper.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #42
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure, though it'll do no good. Attached: one in lighted room with light at 13; one in a darker (but still lit) room, light at 8. No shots in full sunlight (because it's night here), none in a dark room (because the camera canna handle it without flash).

Note: shadow cones are clearly visible in the dark shot, but they're visible only to the camera: the same is true of the apparent brightness variation/shadow cone on the right of the light shot. To my eyes, both are entirely invisible and the screens are unvarying brightness fields: a clear consequence of the human eye's logarithmic intensity response versus a CCD's more nearly linear one.

This effect in particular is one reason why all such pictures should be more or less totally ignored, and posting them is a waste of time: the light you're seeing when you look at those images is the light from an almost-certainly-uncalibrated LCD screen with brightness response that depends mostly on screen age and manufacturing variation, after being picked up by a camera CCD with completely different optical properties to the human eye; the result bears little to no resemblance to the light being emitted by the actual Kindle and which your eye will thus see completely differently. To my eye, and I believe to any normally functioning human eye, the dark shot of my particular Kindle screen would look like an unvarying colour plane. I have extremely good night vision (perhaps to compensate for my crazy myopia!), normally go around with the house lights off, and routinely read on intensity zero on the PW1 after only a few minutes of adaptation time. If anyone can spot light intensity variations on this Kindle, it should be me. I can't. Amazon did not optimize their Kindle screens and lighting systems for cameras: it optimized them for human eyes. Unfortunately I have no way of detaching your eyes and transporting them here to see what I see... ah well!

As with all of biology, the degree of logarithmic response varies between individuals and can even vary between eyes in one individual (it is in part a property of both the neural architecture in each eye, and of the neural architecture of the visual cortex). It is quite possible that the people perennially dissatisfied with lighted Kindle screens simply have a less intense logarithmic response than those who are satisfied. I wonder if people who are dissatisfied have relatively poor night vision and are easily dazzled in bright sunlight? (Though this is also influenced by factors varying from rate and degree of iris dilation through to things in the higher levels of the visual cortex, so again shouldn't be taken as any sort of real evidence of anything. Vision is *complicated*.)
It does look like you have a small hair in the lower right hand corner. But I couldn't see lights.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:28 PM   #43
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I wonder if people who are dissatisfied have relatively poor night vision and are easily dazzled in bright sunlight?
As for me, yes in both cases. I don't have a good night vision, and I cannot stand the direct sunlight more than a couple of minutes, then my eyes start to hurt. I'm extremely myopic too.

That said, I'm not exactly dissatisfied with my Voyage. Yes, I can see the color variations in many different lighting conditions, but not in ALL lighting conditions. I usually read in the daylight (not direct sunlight) or lamplight, with brightness level at 7. In those conditions, I can't see the color gradient.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:36 PM   #44
NullNix
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
It does look like you have a small hair in the lower right hand corner. But I couldn't see lights.
Oops, that wasn't embedded in the screen, that *fell* on the screen while I was trying to find a good camera angle. obvious solution, which I shall implement in the fullness of time: go bald!
Old 04-27-2016, 09:42 PM   #45
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Oops, that wasn't embedded in the screen, that *fell* on the screen while I was trying to find a good camera angle. obvious solution, which I shall implement in the fullness of time: go bald!
Well now on the bald part, my husband could see the lights. He has been going bald since I met him.
Note, he is far-sighted and I am near-sighted.