Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-28-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
Linda
Enthusiast
Linda began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
Trying to make a decision about buying Sony Reader

This is my first posting. I want to buy an ereader because I travel a lot and I am getting tired of lugging books. I want to know if I can convert ebooks from libraries, etc. to the ereader. I am sure the answer has already been posted - but I will need specific instructions, if it can be done. Thank you.
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Most libraries use PDF. And the Sony will not handle DRM protected PDF. Neither will the Cybook Gen3. The Iliad will handle PDF if it's only password protected.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
I want to know if I can convert ebooks from libraries, etc. to the ereader. I am sure the answer has already been posted - but I will need specific instructions, if it can be done. Thank you.
There are several ways of how to get reading material without digitizing them:
1. Buy books in electronic format from Sony at ebooks.connect.com
They have many thousand titles. The books are expensive. Sometimes as expensive as a hardback edition
2. buy ebooks from other sellers - like www.baen.com
3. buy ebooks from harlequin. They are preparing to "go digital" Please search this forum for "harlequin"
4. download books for free from project gutenberg. http://www.gutenberg.org They have many thousand books. Most of those books are older than 70 years
5. download free ebooks from internet. There are many sources. For example Cory Doctorow makes his excellent books available for download.
6. DOWNLOAD BOOKS FROM THIS SITE. Just click on the E-Books at the top pt this page ;-) There are almost Two thousand books available and formated for Reader.
7. [Deleted by moderator]
If you want direction on point 7. ([Deleted by Moderator]) you have to go somewhere else. It is not tolerated on this site.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
Linda
Enthusiast

Thank you for your answers. I decided to go ahead and buy the Sony 505. Sony had a great deal - it was $200.00 plus $100 in credit that I can use to buy books.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:05 PM   #5
horseyride
Enthusiast
horseyride began at the beginning.

Device: none
$200? Where
horseyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
I think Linda meant 300$, with 100$ worth of ebooks included...
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
Linda
Enthusiast

Yes, it was from Sony connect and the reader was 200 and there was a 100 credit.