Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #121
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Faux Latin.. Almost fell over first time I read this.
It's called Dog Latin, which I think descends from doggerel. It's pretty widely used in Urban Fantasy. I don't know much about real Latin, though I wish I did, but there's something about Latin, maybe the formality, the archaic sound, or just the gravitas, that feels exactly right for conjuring magic.

Last edited by carld; 09-27-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: typos
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #122
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Well... Since I've only read the first three so far, I'd have to say the last one I read.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #123
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
wow!! you're welcome, and that is quite nice a job on the addition. since 'side jobs' was released i'd kinda' almost forgotten about mean streets and not-so-much forgotten about p.n. elrod's short story collections (big fat). actually i first got most of the stories that hadn't been published in the those three books but are now included in 'side jobs' off of jim butcher's web site where he'd offered them for free back then.
Restoration of Faith & Vignette are both still free on his site. I don't know about the others. Glad you like the additions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
She better bring Sookie and Bill back together or I'm going to be

I think I just outed myself as a romantic.
That is one question she refused to answer. We must read the books!

She is very surprised that her fans see Eric in a romantic light. I think she forgets that "hot" sometimes makes a difference...

Oh and quite a few people would like her to be w/ Alcede instead. There were also one or two votes for Quinn and one or two votes for Sam.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #124
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool covers

the covers from the ebook collections of the first 12 dresden files novels:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51uqu2Wf3rL__27740_zoom.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	77045   Click image for larger version

Name:	%7BD75F767E-5D7C-4AC1-BBEA-5FE56A2A651F%7DImg100.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	77046  
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #125
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
I think some of that is explained in later books and at least one of the shorts, but most of what we know comes from Word of Jims (questions answered by Jim during Interviews or book signings) so I'll put it in a spoiler.

Spoiler:
- Only mortal magic users affect tech that way, Faeries and other supernatural beings don't have those problems. Apparently that's because humans are conflicted beings (due to having free will?) and are always "leaking" part of their magic.
- It's not equally bad for every magic user. Generally the more power someone has the more problems he/she has with modern devices. Harry is therefore an especially bad case.
- More complex things are more likely to fail, (micro)electronics are the worst.
- The mood of the wizard affects this. Angry Harry -> fried electronics
- It is somewhat possible to control it. You can suppress it, for some time at least, and it seems pretty easy to amplify it.
- It wasn't always like it is now. In "ye olde times" wizards made milk go sour for example.
It's an answer... still leaves out inconsistencies.

I wish, in Summer Knight, that the meeting of wizards scene had included a parking lot full of beat-up VW Beetles. I guess the other wizards all walked.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #126
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I wish, in Summer Knight, that the meeting of wizards scene had included a parking lot full of beat-up VW Beetles. I guess the other wizards all walked.
I guess they did in a way. Most of them probably arrived through the Never Never. The only other Wizard that we did see driving a car, Ebenezar, has a fairly old one too.

I also guess that this whole business of technology failing around them is not that much of a problem for most of the powerfull Wizards, they tend to be well over a hundred years old so they weren't raised with electricity all around them. Unlike Harry and other "newbie" Wizards and Apprentices.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #127
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
I guess they did in a way. Most of them probably arrived through the Never Never. The only other Wizard that we did see driving a car, Ebenezar, has a fairly old one too.
1937 Ford Pickup. Older than Harry's bug.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #128
jgaiser
Omnivorous

And later in "Summer Knight", as Harry enters the building of the meeting of the White Council:

The building had the look of an old-time theater—high, arched ceilings, floors of polished stone laid with strips of carpet, and several sets of double doors leading into the theater itself. The air conditioning had probably been running full blast earlier, but now there was no sound of fan or vent and the building inside felt warmer than it probably should have. None of the lights were on. You couldn't really expect even basic things like lights and air conditioning to keep running in a building full of wizards.

So it seems that other wizards have trouble with modern innovations.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #129
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
well we've at least still got castle though the series that paul blackthorne was subsequently in (the gates), disappeared pretty quickly, as did nathan fillion's next series, drive.

"and so it goes..."
Paul Blackthorne is forever typecast as Harry for me. I found the series before I found the books, you see...
I didn't find The Gates until it showed up on Netflix, and then I watched it all in like a week, LOL.

(Yes, I know I'm WAY behind in this thread....)
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #130
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool more covers...

covers from the four hardcover volumes (novels 1-9) that i first bought:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wizard for hire.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	77120   Click image for larger version

Name:	wizard by trade.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	77121   Click image for larger version

Name:	wizard at large.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	77122   Click image for larger version

Name:	wizard under fire.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	77123  
Old 09-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #131
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Nice! Thanks for sharing them. They look a lot more exciting than the paperback covers.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #132
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
This series was the death of my social life because I read book 1 through 13 in 1.5 months; could not bear to put my e-reader down!

I agree that with each plot the many branches of possibility extend beyond what was immediately foreseeable. It is not extremely well-written (but there are some parts that give me pause though), but the world created is relatively believable. I don't need fancy words to have my imagination working overload, and I adore the series because of that.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #133
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
the first book was ok, it wasn't amazing but it was decent. the second book 'fool moon' was better IMO. i'm going to give grave peril a go starting sometime this week. since i'm on the dresden kick why not continue
Grave Peril is, IMO, when the series really became quite good. There are really strong scenes in Fool Moon (like the battle in the Police Precinct), but Grave Peril is not only an engaging story but also uses more advanced literary techniques (flash back, in media res, etc.) that enhance its over all impact. It also begins a major arc tying together most of the later books, which is a good sign of foresight on the part of the author.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:12 AM   #134
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool re-read

just finished a re-read of dresden 6, blood rites.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #135
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool tv vs. books

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Paul Blackthorne is forever typecast as Harry for me. I found the series before I found the books, you see...
I didn't find The Gates until it showed up on Netflix, and then I watched it all in like a week, LOL.

(Yes, I know I'm WAY behind in this thread....)
yeah, the tv series led me to the books too. i really enjoyed the tv series (i have it on dvd and still enjoy it) and was sorry that it wasn't picked up for a 2nd season. but the books are a whole different ballgame and, in my mind, there's no overlap between the two. i don't picture any of the characters in the novels as the actors who played them in the tv series.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy