Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
porterfi
porterfi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Syntax Error recieved for all attempted News Fetches

I run Calibre on my home computer and at work. At home it works fine, but at work I have tried six different news sites (using the included recipes) and none work. They all give a similar error:

"Failed: Fetch news from Wall Street Journal (free)"

Below is an excerpt from the "show details". I omitted most of the details to make it easier to read; just let me know if you need the whole thing.

calibre, version 0.7.53
ERROR: Conversion Error: <b>Failed</b>: Fetch news from Wall Street Journal (free)

Fetch news from Wall Street Journal (free)
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 0.7.53

class="login_footer">Copyright &copy;2007-2011, Zscaler Inc. All rights reserved.</td></tr></table></td></tr><tr><td></td></tr></table></form></div><script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript">if(document.forms && document.forms[0] && document.forms[0].jscript) document.forms[0].jscript.value="1set";</script></body></html>
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
porterfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you're behind a proxy
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
porterfi
porterfi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I guess even a novice like me should have figured that out.
I have to say this is an amazing product you have developed and even more amazing is that you spend the time to respond to posts like mine.
I tried using the forum posting at
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28219
The proxy setting was indeed blank when I started. I found the pac file which was as follows (I replaced the IP addresses for security reasons)

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
//
//
// if (isInNet(host), "1.2.3.4", "255.255.255.255") {
// return "DIRECT";
// }
//
if (url.substring(0, 4) == "ftp:") {
return "DIRECT";
}
if (url.substring(0, 5) == "https") {
return "DIRECT";
}
else if (isPlainHostName(host) ||
isInNet(myIpAddress(), "1.2.3.4", "255.255.255.0") ||
isInNet(host, "5.6.7.8", "255.0.0.0") ||
return "DIRECT";
else
return "PROXY 211.52.201.65:80; PROXY 211.52.181.65:80; DIRECT";
}

So I set my proxy address to 211.52.201.65:80 (I figured the second address was a backup). I am pretty sure that was successful because now I get that value when I run the script. (see below)

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

G:\>calibre-debug -c "from calibre import get_proxies; print get_proxies()"
Using proxies: {'http': '211.52.201.65:80'}
{'http': '211.52.201.65:80'}

But I still cannot fetch news. Any ideas? (note that I was not able to run the "feeds2disk" command mentioned in the post referenced above) It said it was not a recognized command.
porterfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try removing any remaining proxy settings in Internet Explorer. The calibre-debug command should out no proxies.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote