Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-22-2018, 05:47 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcalder View Post
The 6" Pocketbooks seem to run 180g and her old PRS-T2 is 155g so weight does seem okay.
The Kobo Aura Edition 2 is 180g so that would be OK for weight and it's easy to get at Chapters.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:10 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Here's a listing of someone selling a "lightly used" (in excellent condition) T2, located in Canada.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PRS-T2...sAAOSwuQxaVo8o

Since your Mom likes and uses T2 now and you know it will do the job you need done, you might want to look in into one of these. Or maybe upgrade to a T3 (the last 6" eReader Sony made).
Any T2 or T3 is going to have a battery that's nearing the end of its life. How easy is it to replace the battery?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:14 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suggest taking your mother to Chapters to have a look at Kobo Readers and see what she thinks.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #19
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
According to my own research, if you really want physical buttons the Energy Sistem line is your best bet, especially the slim HD.
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawadLeLogeur View Post
According to my own research, if you really want physical buttons the Energy Sistem line is your best bet, especially the slim HD.
It's not just about buttons, but most importantly, how the software is. Can you say the software is good enough?
Old 01-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcalder View Post
My mom's Sony PRS-T2 is getting temperamental so I need to find her a replacement. She uses it for hours a day and carries it in her purse whenever she leaves the house. She almost exclusively uses it for ebooks from the local library which uses Overdrive ePub mainly.

Musts:
Small
Light
Clear, non-glare screen
Long battery life
Native DRM ePub compatibility (no converting/cracking/etc required)
Physical page forward/back buttons if possible

iPad mini is too large and heavy, per my mom (my dad, on the other hand, has taken permanent possession of my iPad mini for his ebook reading). Kindle is out due to the library ebook requirement.

Since 5" ereaders seem to be a thing of the past, I guess she'll have to live with a 6". I wish there was an option that would let her check books out from the library and download them directly to the device but I don't think there's anything Android based that would be small and light enough. Looked at the Fire 7 HD but it's almost twice as heavy as her Sony.

Suggestions? We're in Canada, BTW. Don't have any objection to buying online as long as the seller will take back any lemons without argument.
I'm a big fan of page turn buttons and love the new Nook for bringing them back at a reasonable price.

Having said that, you (or your mom) might be surprised how easy it is to get used to tapping the screen for page turns.

Kobo as mentioned by the other users ticks all your boxes except for page turn buttons. The Aura ONE has direct Overdrive access, but is likely too large. (Did Kobo ever bring that Overdrive access to the H202 or the Aura v2?)

I'd recommend taking mom to a store where she can try hands-on with one.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:30 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Any T2 or T3 is going to have a battery that's nearing the end of its life. How easy is it to replace the battery?
I don't know how easy it is to replace it, but my T2's battery is strong – all my Sony batteries are strong, even the 505 and 300 (which are much older than the T2).

After a little research: Looks like the T2 is a "snap-apart" device like the earlier Kindles. Batteries cost about $12 and would take about 10-15 minutes to replace.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #23
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can't speak for the potential condition of a battery in a used device, but in the past year I started using a T3 that I had bought new a few years ago and kept in reserve. I haven't noticed any problems with the battery.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawadLeLogeur View Post
I can never find their eReader line. They must not sell them in the United States.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I can never find their eReader line. They must not sell them in the United States.
Any Reader bought for the OP's mother has to be able to be bought in Canada.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did find some information about them. They look more like e-Ink Android "tablets" which require some kind of eReader app. I know some folks love that flexibility, but I would rather have an eReader just built for reading. It also looks like you might also be able to Energy Sistem eReaders with Boyue branding (at least on one model I saw).
Old 01-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, I've seen reviews and looked into purchasing one, but I'm pretty sure like all Android e-ink devices, they would have to be imported.

Not sure what their availability in Canada would be.

Aside from buttons, Kobo seems like such an obvious answer.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Wolf, do you know if the Overdrive direct functionality from the Kobo Aura ONE was ever incorporated into other devices via firmware update?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Wolf, do you know if the Overdrive direct functionality from the Kobo Aura ONE was ever incorporated into other devices via firmware update?
Not as yet.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, that's the other issue with the Kobo. The T2 (and T3) can download books directly from the library. (At least mine can. Apparently there are some T2s in some places that can no longer do this.)