Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #46
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
markino,

I do not think the current way to populate the home screen is the best. But, I haven't seen anything that is really better. I would prefer not to loose the book I am reading from the home screen, but, at the same time, if I load or purchase five new books, I think they should be in my face and obvious.

Adding alternate views is good idea. But, I don't think that will happen. Kobo have shown no interest in doing it. And as I said, there are more important things, to me anyway, to do. I want a Series list and an Authors list. These will help me to manage my books on the device a lot more than the changes you suggest. And adding filtering to the library lists would add as much again. And there are some bugs with I really want fixed.

David
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #47
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I want a Series list and an Authors list. These will help me to manage my books on the device a lot more than the changes you suggest. And adding filtering to the library lists would add as much again. And there are some bugs with I really want fixed.
David - certainly agree that Series and Author lists would be useful. Now I have series metadata aligned with shelves, my shelves list is essentially a series list - but it would be better to have "native" support.

Not sure I'm quite clear on how the filtering would work..?
markino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #48
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Oh, by the way - thanks to whoever put the Glo prefix on the Thread. Only just noticed.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #49
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I would like to see the recently added sort in the book list as well in as the collections. Then the recentlly read list might be able to be sorted by recently read instead of added books pushing the actual recently read books down the list. Knuth would be most dismayed

Due to the fact that there is a recently added sort in the collections, I think that the Kobo programmer just became confused and forgot what he did with it and will someday remember and all will be well.

As to the front page cover icons, why not reserve one for the book you are reading. There are still four more to put the newly added books into. I wouldn't care if it was the biggest one or the smallest one as long as it was consistent. And it may actually be detrimental to Kobe book sales to wipe the current read from the home screen. Some may avoid buying a book or five until the have finished one or all that they already own.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #50
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markino View Post
Not sure I'm quite clear on how the filtering would work..?
In the current library list, I would like to be able to not show books based on certain criteria. The simplest is to not show finished books. Or only show unread or only reading. Or filter based on type - only PDF or only epub. Or only in main memory or only the SD card.

This separate to search. Search looks for books with a set of criteria, but that is only based on name, author and (in 2.2.0) series. Having an advanced search with the options above would be good as well.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #51
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I would like to see the recently added sort in the book list as well in as the collections. Then the recentlly read list might be able to be sorted by recently read instead of added books pushing the actual recently read books down the list. Knuth would be most dismayed

Due to the fact that there is a recently added sort in the collections, I think that the Kobo programmer just became confused and forgot what he did with it and will someday remember and all will be well.
"Recently added" in the shelves is not the same as the "Recently read" sorting. "Recently added" is referring to when the book was added to the shelf, not to the device. The "Recently read" sort uses the timestamp of when the book was added to the device and when it was last read and uses the most recent of these. That sentence is terrible. If you know SQL, it is doing:

Code:
SELECT max(DateLastRead, ___SyncTime), Title, Attribution, ___FileSize
FROM content
WHERE contentType = 6
ORDER BY 1 DESC
And yes, that makes a lot more sense to me than any equivalent English sentence.

And before anyone asks, I don't have access the the source. The above comes from observation and experimenting. It doesn't give exactly the list, but it is the right order.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #52
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Think you used enough underscores there, Butch?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #53
markino
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
In the current library list, I would like to be able to not show books based on certain criteria. The simplest is to not show finished books. Or only show unread or only reading. Or filter based on type - only PDF or only epub. Or only in main memory or only the SD card.

This separate to search. Search looks for books with a set of criteria, but that is only based on name, author and (in 2.2.0) series. Having an advanced search with the options above would be good as well.
Well, I do know what filtering is

I suppose what I'm really asking is what kind of interactive UI would allow you to achieve this in a usable form. Checkboxes or something? I could see that working for an advanced search page, but not so much for a main library list. Whatever the UI, it would have to be pretty simple and quick, otherwise you might as well just go through the search system.

Unless you mean separate lists of all of those things, in which case you're talking about something like different views rather than filtering per se, and you wouldn't be able to combine filters...
Old 11-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markino View Post
I suppose what I'm really asking is what kind of interactive UI would allow you to achieve this in a usable form. Checkboxes or something? I could see that working for an advanced search page, but not so much for a main library list. Whatever the UI, it would have to be pretty simple and quick, otherwise you might as well just go through the search system.
Can I just say "something like that"? The GUI of this sort of thing is always a problem. The best would be to have a button somewhere that shows a dialog with a set of options. These would apply to any of the sorting methods. That would be one press to display, choose the filter, another press to accept. With the current screen layout, I'm not sure if there is a place for another button. It could be an extra "set filter" option on the sort menu or added to the button in the bottom left corner. That adds a press, but doesn't clutter the screen more.
Quote:
Unless you mean separate lists of all of those things, in which case you're talking about something like different views rather than filtering per se, and you wouldn't be able to combine filters...
No, I wasn't thinking that. One filter that is used for all the current lists.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #55
eXistenZ
Connoisseur
eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo GLO
I wish to see some improvement in future firmware:

- First of all support of hierarchical TOC, now all TOC entries are at the same level.

- About front light, I am one of those thinks that minimum light is too bright to read in total darkness, please if it is possible via software add one or two steps lower, otherwise add a night mode(white text on black background) it should be useful to absorb part of the lightness.

- Many ebook with linked notes has small superscript numbers as active text, that are too small to be easily selected by a finger, a way to make link area bigger or easier to select would be nice.

- A hierarchical library navigation would be nuce too, I'm thinking to a list of Authors, selecting an Author his books are displayed, it should make easier to move in a big library.

- I like how dictionary works, but a serious improvement could be that if the read book is in the same language wich is set in kobo settings, the first dictionary displayed is the definition dictionary, if the book is in a different language from the settings, the displayed dictionary should be directly the translation one. For exemple: assuming a kobo set in english, if I read an english book and select a word kobo shows me the definition, if I'm reading a spanish book it shows me directly the ES-EN translation and only if asked the spanish definition.

- I like Facebook integration, but Anobii (or goodread too) would be a way nicer in my opinion, also an integration with Evernote could be a great thing, I immagine highlights and notes automatically sent to Evernote and saved in a Notebook automatically named as the book (some reference to the page number in wich the note is would be amazing, but i think is hard).

Last of all, sorry for my terrible english, hope this post is understandable.
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #56
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
I like how dictionary works, but a serious improvement could be that if the read book is in the same language wich is set in kobo settings, the first dictionary displayed is the definition dictionary, if the book is in a different language from the settings, the displayed dictionary should be directly the translation one. For exemple: assuming a kobo set in english, if I read an english book and select a word kobo shows me the definition, if I'm reading a spanish book it shows me directly the ES-EN translation and only if asked the spanish definition.
This might be seen a serious improvement by some, but not by others! Why, for instance, should one force the small English-German dictionary onto somebody reading a German book with English settings. Or what if neither the user language nor the language of the book is English? In those cases you don't have a translation dictionaries. Your improvement has a strong bias for English. I would rather like to select primary and secondary dictionaries on a book to book basis. Please give me more options, rather than other restrictions.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #57
eXistenZ
Connoisseur
eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo GLO
Mine was only an exemple, I'm italian, my kobo is set to italian of course, so when reading books in italian it is good to me that first appears definition of the word, otherwise when I read english books I want the EN-IT translation first and only as second choice the EN definition.
The easiest way for me to obtain it is on the basis of the match between firmware LANG and book LANG, the assumption is that if I set language X in firmware it is my mother language, so for Books in language other than X needs traslation dictionary first than definition.
Hopefully this should be a selectable option not to disappoint anyone.

Last edited by eXistenZ; 11-30-2012 at 01:25 PM.
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #58
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I actually really like that idea. It could be easily solved by allowing the user to specify a dictionary for eacxh language, the way the Kindle does. So for example, I am an English speaker but I also read French books. I should be able to go into a dictionary setting and choose 'English' and then specify a dictionary, go into the 'French' settings and set a dictionary and so on. I could then set to the translation dictionary as my default for French books and not need that extra tap to access it.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #59
markino
Connoisseur

Quote:
I wish to see some improvement in future firmware
Some good suggestions there, and I think your English is perfectly understandable.

I think this is an especially good idea (and probably easy to implement):

Quote:
... otherwise add a night mode(white text on black background) it should be useful to absorb part of the lightness.
Whether the light is made dimmer or not, this could be more relaxing in darker environments. It may also help dyslexic people - seem to remember reading somewhere that some people find it easier to read than black on white.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #60
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Mine was only an exemple, I'm italian, my kobo is set to italian of course, so when reading books in italian it is good to me that first appears definition of the word, otherwise when I read english books I want the EN-IT translation first and only as second choice the EN definition.
The easiest way for me to obtain it is on the basis of the match between firmware LANG and book LANG, the assumption is that if I set language X in firmware it is my mother language, so for Books in language other than X needs traslation dictionary first than definition.
Hopefully this should be a selectable option not to disappoint anyone.
I understood your point quit well. I only wanted to stress that we should ask for user selectable options rather then for replacing one restriction by another.
By the way, you can circumvent the current restrictions to some extent if you care doing it. For instance, if you swap the filenames of the Spain-English dictionary and the Spain definition dictionary they will behave as you wished in your example.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature, firmware, glo, request