Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
how to navigate photocopied PDF file on M92?

I am having trouble finding the an effective way to navigation through photocopied PDF on my M92.

I set the page to landscape mode, then zooming to To Width, so that now screen display about half the page and the font is big and clear enough to be read.

Then if I want to got the bottom half of the page, I have no idea to do that. If I use the four-way navigation stick to got down, it only goes down about 2 or 3 lines, it would take about 20 clicks to get the reader to display the bottom half of the page, then I press the next page button, instead of displaying the top half of the next page, the reader display the same section of the previous page, which is the bottom, so now I have to 20 click back to the top and then 20 clicks back to the bottom and the process repeats.

Is there a better way to read photocopied PDF more effectively in landscape mode? A button click for the reader to go top>bottom>top next page>bottom>top next page ....

Thanks.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
This is a general problem of any zoom mode. We definitely need a way to get a button to navigate effectively inside the zoom mode. I think the joystick could serve this purpose by not only moving the view by some pixels, but jumping to the next part of the page that is not in the current view.

At the moment, the only way to achieve a similar behaviour is by using the pen by clicking and dragging. It's pretty obvious, that pen navigation is not very comfortable in many situations. So this can't be the only option in the long run...
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

this is preposterous, my Sony T1 can read the same PDF with in landscape mode fitted to Width, and goes from top to bottom then to top next page then bottom with one press of the next page button.

Did the designers at Onyx even beta test the reader because releasing it? Very disappoint with a $400 Ereader which I bought specially for reading torrented PDFs.

Without using the stylus, this reader basically useless for it's intended purpose, I don't need a 9.7 incher for ePub, I needed the 9.7 incher for photocopied/scientific PDFs.

Onyx please release a firmware update on this.

Last edited by FinancialWar; 05-08-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
With your file open, press the Home button, then choose Layout -> Scroll pages and see if it resolves the issue for you.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #5
FinancialWar
Banned

awesome, problem solved (for now). Thanks.

Still hope that we can set sensitivity option for the navigation stick.
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
this is preposterous, my Sony T1 can read the same PDF with in landscape mode fitted to Width, and goes from top to bottom then to top next page then bottom with one press of the next page button.

Did the designers at Onyx even beta test the reader because releasing it? Very disappoint with a $400 Ereader which I bought specially for reading torrented PDFs.

Without using the stylus, this reader basically useless for it's intended purpose, I don't need a 9.7 incher for ePub, I needed the 9.7 incher for photocopied/scientific PDFs.

Onyx please release a firmware update on this.
So it seems acceptable for you to steal copyrighted material on torrents but it doesn't seem acceptable that you paid 400$ and the device doesn't work as expected? Neither the authors of those books expected them to be on Torrents.

:-)

PS: please please do not tell me that those books are old books never released in electronic format and they are not under copyright.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
geronimo
Banned
geronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trolls

Device: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
So it seems acceptable for you to steal copyrighted material on torrents but it doesn't seem acceptable that you paid 400$ and the device doesn't work as expected? Neither the authors of those books expected them to be on Torrents.
Apples, oranges.
Don't you mix up stealing with a copyright violation?
It certainly seems to be in the interest of some authors to have their productions spread across various channels. How would you know what they want?

The fact that we all violate laws or regulations at some time or other does not mean we lose contractual rights.
Think about the consequences of that line of reasoning.

Ah well, there was a smiley ...
geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #8
spaetz
Enthusiast
spaetz began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92, formerly iRex DR1000 (broke just as they went bankrupt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Can we please not make unfounded and tangential assumptions on how the poster wants to use his device? It does not help constructive discussion. I'd rather see a discussion on how scroll mode helps with the proposed reading mode. Why is it not possible in single-page layout to progress to the next page via the joystick? Why does the "next page" button always progress to the next page (skipping unread content) rather than the next part of the page when eg in "Page width" zoom mode?

What would be the optimal behavior here?
spaetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #9
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that the developers should keep the "Page mode" as it is. I don't see what is the problem to use "Scroll pages" if you want to go to the bottom of the page.

Sometimes you may need to go to the next page at the same position.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:17 AM   #10
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
@slex: you are right. For example when using cropped margins - that's internally handled as a kind of zoom mode. It would definitely not be what we want if the change-page-buttons had scrolling functionality in such a scenario.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 AM   #11
slex
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
@slex: you are right. For example when using cropped margins - that's internally handled as a kind of zoom mode. It would definitely not be what we want if the change-page-buttons had scrolling functionality in such a scenario.
Exactly my point.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #12
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Another 2ct. on my behalf: ( )

- next/back buttons should be configuratble to flip either views or pages (latter as default)
- joystick should generally flip views - except for hide-margin-zoom. In this zoomstate, I'd like it to be a 'hide/show one margin' functionality for annotations (e.g., left -> shift to full left of document ; right -> shift to hide-margin position again ; again right -> shift to full right of the document)
- pen should allow fine tuning when needed

Cheers.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:14 AM   #13
spaetz
Enthusiast
spaetz began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92, formerly iRex DR1000 (broke just as they went bankrupt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
Fair point. We would not want to scroll into the margins in that case, true. But then, as a user, I am not interested how these margins are internally handled. So perhaps we might want different behavior in different zoom modes. Anyway, glad to have the interesting discussions back :-)
spaetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Hi,
AFAIK Onyx has a group rewriting PDF reader. Some new features and navigating options (like the important feature - "PDF column reading") were added.
This new reader is still on its testing phase, this is why the 1.7 FR is a little bit delayed and implementation of some other planned features postponed.
I think we could continue the discussion after the new PDF-reader has been finished(which is a matter of days). Possibly they have already found an even better way to navigate through scanned PDFs.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
valimo
valimo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,
AFAIK Onyx has a group rewriting PDF reader. Some new features and navigating options (like the important feature - "PDF column reading") were added.
This new reader is still on its testing phase, this is why the 1.7 FR is a little bit delayed and implementation of some other planned features postponed.
I think we could continue the discussion after the new PDF-reader has been finished(which is a matter of days). Possibly they have already found an even better way to navigate through scanned PDFs.
Are you saying there will be a new ereader coming out from Onyx? Is it in the same class of M series. Hmm, should I wait for it?
valimo is offline   Reply With Quote