Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-22-2018, 05:23 AM   #1
mcdummy
Connoisseur
mcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS-T3
spell checking with two or more languages

I've got the following problem, when I use the spell checking tool in the editor:

In the spell checking tool incorrectly spelled words are shown in connection with their assigned language. When I notice, e.g., that a French word is considered to be English, I double click on such a word in the spell checking tool, the editor jumps to the word in the text, and I can mark it with, e.g., <span lang="fr">...</span>.

During this process, it can happen that a French word occurring several times in the text appears in both French and English text portions.

However, when I double click on such an "English" word in the spell checking tool to mark the remaining words as French words, the editor not only jumps to the words in the English text portions, but also jumps to the words in the French text portions.

Regards,

McDummy
mcdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
WHy are you doing this replace ment manually? Simply do a search replace and replace all instances of the word with <span lang="fr">word</span>. THen re-run the spell check dialog. Actually, come to think of it you could even just type in that into the replace field of the S&R panel and do the replacement right there.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
mcdummy
Connoisseur
mcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the roughmcdummy is a jewel in the rough

I'm well aware of the search and replace solution, but his doesn't help, if a word is spelled in the same way in different languages.

And most of the time, it is not just one word that has to be tagged with a language tag, but a complete phrase or even a sentence.

Maybe you know a solution to tag words and sentences in these cases with search and replace, but I don't.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
SO do a search for the word, go through the instances of its occurrences one by one and tag as appropriate. A spell checker is not going to help you with that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
mcdummy
Connoisseur

But that does not solve the original problem that the spell checker does not take language tags into account when jumping to incorrectly spelled words after a double clicking.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:43 AM   #6
mcdummy
Connoisseur

There might be a rather simple solution for this problem.

Recently, I was editing an eBook with German and English passages, which contained the same French word.

In the spell check, the French word was marked as incorrectly spelled - with one entry for the incorrectly spelled "French-German" word and one entry for the incorrectly spelled "French-English" word.

When clicking on the incorrectly spelled "French-German" word, the editor jumped only to the French word in the German passages, and when clicking on the incorrectly spelled "French-English" word, the editor jumped only to the French word in the English passages. So everything worked as one would expect.

However, as soon as an instant of the French words was marked as French by the lang="fr", i.e. you have a mixture of correctly and incorrectly spelled words, the clicking on the "French-German" or the "French-English" entry in the spell checker also jumped to the correctly spelled/marked French word instead of jumping only to the incorrectly spelled words/instants.

Therefore, it seems that the spell checker does take languages into account as long as a word is incorrectly spelled in the language associated with the word, but seems to ignore the language tag once the word is correctly spelled in the associated language.

Since the spell checker works correctly as long as all instants of a word are incorrectly spelled, it might be rather simply to adapt the spell checker to treat correctly spelled words properly.