Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
EPUB Logo Contest

This is something of a belated announcement. The IDPF wants to adopt a new Epub logo, and they're hoping you can design it for them. They're having a contest right now, and are accepting entries until 7 May 2010.

Here is the email I received:
Quote:

EPUB Logo Contest: Submissions accepted until May 7, 2010

Dear MobileRead Moderators, Contributors and Readers,

Many of you in digital space work with EPUB in some form or another and I want to ensure you or your company is aware of the opportunity to design the Official EPUB Logo. EPUB logo submissions will be received until 2400 eastern on May 7, 2010.

The purpose of the contest is to design a logo for the EPUB format. The logo is to be used by publishers, distributors, retailers, software companies and anyone else who would like to identify to the public their conformance to the EPUB standard file format. We imagine that companies who ship products and devices will use the logo on boxes and packaging material to identify compliance. We imagine that retailers will use the logo to alert their customers that the product they sell uses this standard file format. We imagine that publishers will use the logo on their websites and possibly on their printed books to alert the public that their books are also available in electronic form. Finally, we hope this will become an industry standard for recognizing product and services that conform to the EPUB standard.

Details for submitting entries and official rules can be found at www.idpf.org/EPUBlogo/epublogocontest.htm

Winning Entry will be unveiled on May 25th at IDPF Digital Book 2010 at BEA.

Best of Luck,

Michael
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This is something of a belated announcement. The IDPF wants to adopt a new Epub logo, and they're hoping you can design it for them. They're having a contest right now, and are accepting entries until 7 May 2010.
I've submitted an entry.

I'll post it here after May 7th. Does anyone else want to join in? It would be fun to see what the Mobileread crowd can come up with. Don't forget to actually submit your entry to the IDPF before May 7th, and not to post it here until after May 7th

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-21-2010 at 12:16 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I look forward to seeing the winning entry. I considered participating, but I cannot conjure enough enthusiasm for epub to bother sketching out ideas. I'd probably have gone for something typographical if I were to join, but I think perhaps that'd be too out of place....
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have to remember to submit my logo, but I have to (groan) add the letters "ePub" to it, something I didn't initially want to do, to make it a truly international logo.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I have to remember to submit my logo, but I have to (groan) add the letters "ePub" to it, something I didn't initially want to do, to make it a truly international logo.
Well, the format is still called "EPUB", no matter the language, script or whatever...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have to (groan) add the letters "ePub" to it
or EPUB or epub or perhaps even Epub.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Hey! I just noticed, "epub" is just "pube" slightly shuffled.

Don't let that influence logo ideas, though...
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Well, the format is still called "EPUB", no matter the language, script or whatever...
Interestingly, the name the IDPF gave to the format was Open EBook (OEB)... ePub is just the file extension, but it has become the default name for the file format among users. My logo was built around the Open EBook concept, which is why I resisted putting for extension acronym in there. But hey, what do I know? I'm just an amateur author... with an extensive graphics and design background...
Old 04-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Hey! I just noticed, "epub" is just "pube" slightly shuffled.

Don't let that influence logo ideas, though...
Given IDPF's website and current logo, I would avoid submitting anything with oblique genital references...for fear of winning.

I suspect though they'll be too swamped with beer-related submissions to notice it though.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #10
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
Since I am not that great of artist.... here's an idea for you:

An old english pub style sign with an open book and a E or ePub written on it. If you wanted you could write the E or ePub in 1's and 0's.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Why? Many logos for other formats do not have any letters (e.g. PDF icon). Is that required by the contest rules?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Why? Many logos for other formats do not have any letters (e.g. PDF icon). Is that required by the contest rules?
Yes. It's in the Submission Guidelines:

Quote:
The logo must contain the four letters “EPUB”. For Marketing Purposes the use of Camel Case “ePub,” “epub” or “ePUB” are considered acceptable as well. This image should not be photographic (see below for information on graphic formats), but four letters “EPUB” must be recognizable.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes it is... unfortunately, IMO.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Thanks. This is kinda silly IMO. Maybe submit the design with letters and attach the original too "just in case"?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks. This is kinda silly IMO. Maybe submit the design with letters and attach the original too "just in case"?
I agree... despite the supposed ubiquitousness of English internationally, I still feel a logo without lettering would be better internationally... not to mention making it clearer that "ePub" is not the actual name of the format at all. Besides, a logo does not have to have words or lettering in it to represent itself... witness the MobiPocket and Sony Reader logos, the Windows logo, the Apple logo, etc, etc.

Fortunately, I can modify my logo so that the letters can be removed if desired. Tres adroit, no?