Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Smashwords ebooks at Barnes & Noble

As teleread reported yesterday, SmashWord's Blog tells us that Smashwords has signed an agreement with Barnes & Noble to distribute Smashwords ebooks.

More complete information for authors is at Smashwords Titles to Enter Broader Distribution:

Quote:
Premium Feed: This new catalog is distributed to major online retailers and other distribution outlets that have higher mechanical standards such as requiring quality book cover images, books with copyright pages, and other requirements outlined below. If you're a serious author or publisher, you want your books included in Smashwords Premium Catalog.

Royalties - We're still fine-tuning details, but I expect authors and publishers will continue to receive 85% of the proceeds to Smashwords and Smashwords will receive 15%. Since retailers typically take a big chunk of sales, often 50% of the list price (and we have little control over this), your net may equal approximately 42% of your list price. So, if you set the price of your book at $10.00, you'll receive about $4.20 from each sale. We will clearly disclose to you your estimated proceeds from each of the major online retailers we add to our distribution network. If you are not satisfied with the terms, you can opt out on a retailer by retailer basis by clicking to the new Channel Manager feature in your Dashboard (as soon as we finish building it). I expect the only authors or publishers temped to opt out will be those who already have relationships with our outlets.
I think this is great news for indie authors, since it provides a new outlet for their work. However, if B&N discounts from list price, it may be bad news for selling direct from the Smashwords web site.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
As teleread reported yesterday, SmashWord's Blog tells us that Smashwords has signed an agreement with Barnes & Noble to distribute Smashwords ebooks.

More complete information for authors is at Smashwords Titles to Enter Broader Distribution:

I think this is great news for indie authors, since it provides a new outlet for their work. However, if B&N discounts from list price, it may be bad news for selling direct from the Smashwords web site.
Very interesting, although I'm wondering more and more about the value of direct-pricing any fiction in a digital form. It's all exciting stuff though, to be around and involved in all this and at this time Thanks for the link.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
My published books (all of which except one are free) are already approved for the premium catalog.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
My published books (all of which except one are free) are already approved for the premium catalog.
WAHHHHH!!! I'm still waiting!! *sob*
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:13 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
What format is B&N using ?
And why US only, for crying out loud !
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 07:04 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
I might be missing the point, EC, but aren't the ebooks still going to be available on Smashwords, so the deal with B&N is only important to spread the word by benefiting from their marketing and customer base. If you already know about Smashwords, what's the problem?
It's just that B&N seams to have a decent choice with ok prices, and i can't get e-books from therm.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
I might be missing the point, EC, but aren't the ebooks still going to be available on Smashwords, so the deal with B&N is only important to spread the word by benefiting from their marketing and customer base. If you already know about Smashwords, what's the problem?
I believe the issue is that B&N will throw more promotional dollars at their site than Smashwords, so the books will likely sell more at B&N.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
WAHHHHH!!! I'm still waiting!! *sob*
Me, too. And if you thought the wait was long before... wait'll all the newbies come in after the announcement...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

Quote:
Royalties - We're still fine-tuning details, but I expect authors and publishers will continue to receive 85% of the proceeds to Smashwords and Smashwords will receive 15%. Since retailers typically take a big chunk of sales, often 50% of the list price (and we have little control over this), your net may equal approximately 42% of your list price.
I wonder if authors are allowed to opt-out of the BN listings, in order to keep their original pricing? Will *all* of Smashwords be available through BN (I really can't imagine that) or only authors who decide to request it? Or some other system?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I wonder if authors are allowed to opt-out of the BN listings, in order to keep their original pricing? Will *all* of Smashwords be available through BN (I really can't imagine that) or only authors who decide to request it? Or some other system?
Yup, you can opt in or out of each distribution channel, to my understanding. So, just say they were distributing to Amazon, B&N and BoB - you could choose to be listed with Amazon only. Or, if I understand correctly, opt out of all of the above. One point for SW authors to keep in mind, though - once your ebook has been cleared for premium status, it's a case of opting OUT, not opting in.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Smashwords Premium Catalog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Authors may indeed opt out if they do not want their works sold through BN. I'm pretty sure the royalty cut will be much smaller than the same work bought straight from Smashwords. On the other hand, it is hoped that there will be more sales. And really, that is the point. I don't know of any self-published author who is getting rich off of book sales. The idea is to get a little name recognition out there and hopefully find some people who like your writing.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:16 PM   #13
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I don't know of any self-published author who is getting rich off of book sales. The idea is to get a little name recognition out there and hopefully find some people who like your writing.
I don't know of any getting rich, but I do know of some who are with small publishing companies and listed separately at Smashwords; they might prefer to allow their publishers to try to wrangle a better percentage than they can do alone.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote