Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-08-2017, 01:05 AM   #571
bookiebabe
bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Zenpad
Oh yay! Lurrve a good chomp-series.

Under absolutely must-read brilliantly twisted and snide: Diana Rowland's "White Trash Zombie" series... truly fun, crazy entertaining, and I'd be amazed if anyone who reads doesn't adore the main character.

I really dug Susan Dennard's "Something Strange & Deadly" series, too. Hic Fic zombies? Yes, please!

One of my alltime fave zombie series.... 'Benny Imura' series by Jonathan Maberry. Rot & Ruin, Dust & Decay, etc. BRILLIANTLY done, and truly thought provoking. I love Jon Mayberry's character development. Loved his "Pine Deep' series, too.

Also really loved the characters in Rhainnon Frater's 'As the World Dies series. I was a little hesitant to get the series, as it began as an internet thing, I think, so I assumed it would be rather poorly written schlock... Glad I got over my preconceptions,or I'd have missed out. Was very well done, and I think a pretty realistic depiction of what would happen if the dead really decided to go for a shamble in the real world.

Gail Carriger's 'Parasol Protectorate aka Alexis Tarabotti' series is rather entertaining.. loved the flair of steampunk wrought throughout. As far as creatures, doesn't feature only zombies, but there are some big-fun zombie characters in midst of a whole slew of monsters in a rather riotous Londony historical fiction setting. Total fun. "Emma" on hallucinogens basically.

Tipping in at one of my fave zombie romps, ever... Isaac Marion's 'Warm Bodies'. Just adore everything about this novel, author's voice in general. Yay, Isaac! Movie was rather well done, too.

Cherie Priest's 'Clockwork Century' is a great series if you're a fan of steampunkery w zombie flair.... GORGEOUS worldbuilding! Old west! Walking Dead! Mecha-creations! Yum!

There's a huge slew of others, but I tried to aim for some less common ones, in hopes of giving you some new selections.

Happy reading!
Rachel
bookiebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:32 AM   #572
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookiebabe View Post
Oh yay! Lurrve a good chomp-series.

Under absolutely must-read brilliantly twisted and snide: Diana Rowland's "White Trash Zombie" series... truly fun, crazy entertaining, and I'd be amazed if anyone who reads doesn't adore the main character.

I really dug Susan Dennard's "Something Strange & Deadly" series, too. Hic Fic zombies? Yes, please!

One of my alltime fave zombie series.... 'Benny Imura' series by Jonathan Maberry. Rot & Ruin, Dust & Decay, etc. BRILLIANTLY done, and truly thought provoking. I love Jon Mayberry's character development. Loved his "Pine Deep' series, too.

Also really loved the characters in Rhainnon Frater's 'As the World Dies series. I was a little hesitant to get the series, as it began as an internet thing, I think, so I assumed it would be rather poorly written schlock... Glad I got over my preconceptions,or I'd have missed out. Was very well done, and I think a pretty realistic depiction of what would happen if the dead really decided to go for a shamble in the real world.

Gail Carriger's 'Parasol Protectorate aka Alexis Tarabotti' series is rather entertaining.. loved the flair of steampunk wrought throughout. As far as creatures, doesn't feature only zombies, but there are some big-fun zombie characters in midst of a whole slew of monsters in a rather riotous Londony historical fiction setting. Total fun. "Emma" on hallucinogens basically.

Tipping in at one of my fave zombie romps, ever... Isaac Marion's 'Warm Bodies'. Just adore everything about this novel, author's voice in general. Yay, Isaac! Movie was rather well done, too.

Cherie Priest's 'Clockwork Century' is a great series if you're a fan of steampunkery w zombie flair.... GORGEOUS worldbuilding! Old west! Walking Dead! Mecha-creations! Yum!

There's a huge slew of others, but I tried to aim for some less common ones, in hopes of giving you some new selections.

Happy reading!
Rachel
Thanks Rachel. Apart from Diana Rowland's "White Trash Zombie" series (I concur with your views on this, and am impatiently awaiting the next in the series), I haven't read any of these. Food (braaaaaiiiinnnnsssss) for thought indeed.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #573
bookiebabe
bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookiebabe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Zenpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Thanks Rachel. Apart from Diana Rowland's "White Trash Zombie" series (I concur with your views on this, and am impatiently awaiting the next in the series), I haven't read any of these. Food (braaaaaiiiinnnnsssss) for thought indeed.
Rather off-topic, though I'm sure there's some zombies in there, somewhere.... if you liked Diana Rowland's "White Trash Zombie" series (just got books 4 & 5 myself... can't wait!), you might also dig Julie Kenner's "Kate Conner: Demon Hunting Soccer Mom" series. Book 1 is Carpe Demon. There's not really direct comparison.. but everyone I've forced at fang-point to read the White Trash series really enjoyed the 'Demon Hunting Soccer Mom' fare, as well. Same sort of 'campy day in the life-y, tongue-in-cheek' feel, kinda. This is seriously lite, simple sort of beach-read series.

And thanks, everyone, for your brilliant suggestions! Shopping cart stuffed full of zombie reads ready to go, and got my next 4 zombie series lined up. Great thread!

rachel
bookiebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #574
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookiebabe View Post
Rather off-topic, though I'm sure there's some zombies in there, somewhere.... if you liked Diana Rowland's "White Trash Zombie" series (just got books 4 & 5 myself... can't wait!), you might also dig Julie Kenner's "Kate Conner: Demon Hunting Soccer Mom" series. Book 1 is Carpe Demon. There's not really direct comparison.. but everyone I've forced at fang-point to read the White Trash series really enjoyed the 'Demon Hunting Soccer Mom' fare, as well. Same sort of 'campy day in the life-y, tongue-in-cheek' feel, kinda. This is seriously lite, simple sort of beach-read series.

And thanks, everyone, for your brilliant suggestions! Shopping cart stuffed full of zombie reads ready to go, and got my next 4 zombie series lined up. Great thread!

rachel
Thanks again. I've bought Rot & Ruin and Boneshaker based on your recs. Once read, I'll have a look at Julie Kenner's stuff.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:21 AM   #575
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFalcon73 View Post
I did a quick search through this thread and can't see any mention of Frank Tayell. Currently reading his series on Kindle via Amazon.
http://www.franktayell.com

I'm currently on Book 5 of 7 of Surviving the Evacuation, it's a series that starts out before the apocalypse in London, England. Has some bits in the US then the apocalypse hits, and it's pretty much about civilisation collapsing and everything from half way through book 1 onwards is post apocalypse.

It's a really good series of books. Frank Tayell also has another book called Zombies vs The Living Dead although I haven't read that one yet.

The Surviving the Evacuation is probably the closest I've come to getting to The Walking Dead. Characters pop up, they meed new characters, characters get bitten and eventually turn and die, they move from location to location in the hope of finding supplies, food, water and friends they've lost along the way and ultimate surviving and rebuilding civilisation.
I was just going to recommend the first book of this series, London: Surviving the Evacuation. It's excellent, and free! I haven't read the others yet. So quality holds up?
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2021, 06:00 PM   #576
trksh22
I'd Rather be Reading
trksh22 is on a distinguished road

Device: K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I was just going to recommend the first book of this series, London: Surviving the Evacuation. It's excellent, and free! I haven't read the others yet. So quality holds up?
Totally reviving an old thread but I see I commented in it years ago. The London: Surviving the Evacuation book is still free. Thanks, I downloaded and sent to my kindle.
trksh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #577
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The Girl With All the Gifts is good. Both the book and the movie.
The little girl playing the child in the movie is terrific.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:06 PM   #578
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
The Girl With All the Gifts is good. Both the book and the movie.
The little girl playing the child in the movie is terrific.
Thoroughly enjoyed the book but have to say I was not a fan of the movie. But the world would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything right!
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:37 AM   #579
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I loved both the book and the movie. And yes, the little girl in the movie was indeed brilliant.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #580
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I came here to say ‘The Girl with all The Gifts’ is the best Zombie book ever. I didn't realise there was a film. I see someone beat me.

Discworld has a zombie or two?

I normally totally avoid Horror Genre. It's almost John Wyndham style as some of his are sort of Horror.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:07 PM   #581
cpegg
Enthusiast
cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O (first edition), Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I came here to say ‘The Girl with all The Gifts’ is the best Zombie book ever. I didn't realise there was a film. I see someone beat me.
Have you also read M.R. Carey's The Boy on the Bridge?
cpegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:43 PM   #582
cpegg
Enthusiast
cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O (first edition), Kobo Forma
I thought Last Ones Left Alive by Sarah Davis-Goff was excellent. Not traditional zombies, but near enough and very creepy.

I just finished Bobby Adair's Slow Burn series (already mentioned several years upthread) and it was terrific.

The Survival Instinct series by Kristal Stittle (five books) was quite good. There's also the even more lengthy Green Fields series by Adrienne Lecter.

I enjoyed Weep: The Irish Epidemic by Eoin Brady. It seems that there's a second book in the works but there were no details last time I checked.
cpegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:20 PM   #583
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
recommended zombie book

Loved Girl with all the Gifts and Boy on the Bridge, but also really loved a very different but heartwarming Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory.
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:13 AM   #584
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Green Eyes by Lucius Shepard

Update: Duh! Already mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Best zombie novel, bar none, is Green Eyes, by Lucius Shepard. But be warned that it's not the zombie novel you're expecting. No shuffling, rotting brain-eaters to be seen. The protagonist is a recently-revived corpse with a driving need to understand the nature of his existence. It's definitely in my top-five all time favorite books. I was thinking about contacting Mr. Shepard to enquire about whether an ebook edition is forthcoming (he's released other books electronically, and writes for electricstory.com)

Review 1
Review 2
Amazon.com customer reviews

Last edited by Angst; 03-08-2021 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Late to the party
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote