Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Charging Paperwhite

Someone is selling a 2013 Paperwhite, says it's still in the original box. So I assume the battery would be pretty much discharged.

I want to check if it's not DOA, and do it quickly when I get it rather than have to try to get a refund later. If I used a phone backup battery, could I plug the Kindle cable into it -- if it was completely discharged, how long before I could expect it to boot up?
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #2
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
By 'phone backup battery' I assume you mean a USB power bank type device.

My experience with other devices with Li-On batteries is that if discharged most will come to life and the device will become functional within 3 to 5 minutes of being connected to a charger. However on occasion its taken around 30 minutes.

However assuming it has a flat battery and comes to life when connected to a charger or USB power bank that doesn't telly you that much about the battery and how well it will hold a charge. In the absence of test kit only usage will give you an answer.

One thing I'd add though and this isn't based on scientific knowledge, if the battery is completely flat once I'd got it on charge I'd want it to charge to 100% in one hit, I'd not want to put a bit of charge in, disconnect and then re-connect later to finish charging.

Good luck.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #3
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Yeah, I know that's how phones work; I suppose Kindle is basically the same kind of device and battery. I know that I would not be able to tell how good the battery was, but I could see if the rest was OK. Worst case, if the hardware is otherwise OK I can replace the battery.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Yeah, I know that's how phones work; I suppose Kindle is basically the same kind of device and battery. I know that I would not be able to tell how good the battery was, but I could see if the rest was OK. Worst case, if the hardware is otherwise OK I can replace the battery.
I have bought many used kindles. All had the charge battery screen.
As soon as you get it, put it on a charger. You should know within 30 minutes.
Probably less since I tend to use a car charger to start charging.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote