Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 04:06 PM   #196
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
If I had a stand then I would have to carry it around with with me with my DX which would be even more weight and bulk than the folio cover.
For the Aura One, there is case stand that only weight 4 ounces. So if the Aura One weighed the same as the H2O with a heftier battery, the 4oz case will not make much of a difference.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:53 PM   #197
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
I still haven't received this firmware update... I really want it!

So I recall seeing in this thread that I might need to "change affiliation" or something, if I want to get this update...?

What does that entail... is it hard to do... will it limit the functionality of my reader in some way? I basically never use the Kobo store or anything like that - I pretty much sideload everything (with my Kobo - on Kindle it's a different story.)
In your Affiliate config file simply change your affiliate from whatever it currently is to "chapters" or "bestbuyca" (don't include the quotes obviously). Make sure you use something like Notepad++ and not the built in Windows Notepad to edit the file. No particular downsides that I can think of and you can change it back as soon as you've upgraded if you're concerned.

Last edited by robko; 01-31-2017 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Clarified that it is in the Affiliate config file
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2017, 06:25 PM   #198
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
In your config file simply change your affiliate from whatever it currently is to "chapters" or "bestbuyca" (don't include the quotes obviously). Make sure you use something like Notepad++ and not the built in Windows Notepad to edit the file. No particular downsides that I can think of and you can change it back as soon as you've upgraded if you're concerned.
Thank you very much for the quick response!

What's funny is that I was about to plug my reader in to do this, and then I thought I'd do one last sync for good measure (I must have synced about 100 times since this thread was started, lol)

So my reader downloaded and installed software version 4.2.8432!

The only thing in the "what's new" was that the "wishlist" functionality should now be added to the reader.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:34 PM   #199
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For the Aura One, there is case stand that only weight 4 ounces. So if the Aura One weighed the same as the H2O with a heftier battery, the 4oz case will not make much of a difference.
It would not make much of a difference to you but I think you've firmly established that you're not typical of general market consumers.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:42 AM   #200
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I don't use a case, I haven't had a single device have the screen break. I've had the following

Nook Simpletouch
Nook Simpletouch with Glowlight
Nook Glowlight
Kobo H2O
Kobo Aura One

all had perfectly working screens, though I think the NST or NSTG no longer recognizes touch. The screen will still draw perfectly though. So tell me, why would I get a case?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2017, 05:18 AM   #201
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
New firmware version 4.2.8432 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
It was just released;

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.2.8432.zip

"The Wishlist feature is now available on your eReader. Look for it in the Browse section"
New firmware version 4.2.8432 released.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #202
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I don't use a case, I haven't had a single device have the screen break.
You MUST KNOW, always be aware that your ereader is a delicate device that must be handled carefully even with a cover.

My first Kobo had a damaged screen probably broken screen sub straight. My fault. Never again even carrying a Kobo packed in suitcase, and in a pocket at 6 flags while riding every roller coaster.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #203
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
You MUST KNOW, always be aware that your ereader is a delicate device that must be handled carefully even with a cover.
I finally broke down and bought one of the Moko covers for $12.99 (arrives tomorrow). The giant screen makes me nervous even though I've used my Kindle Voyage for over a year with no issues.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote