Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
New reader since the switch

Quick question I've got a couple NIB Sony readers coming for my kids for Christmas. I haven't used anything but calibre since the Sony store closed for my books. I did transfer all my DRM books to kobo and use ADE for my purchased books. I guess my question is do I use ADE to authorize and load my DRM ePub books from the Sony store or go thru kobo? Trying to do it the easiest way and honestly I haven't logged into either in a long time.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
toki08
toki08 began at the beginning.

Device: nook glowlight 3, nook glowlight, PRS-T1, PRS-350
The last PRS-T1 software update switched the built-in store to Kobo. Therefore, you can download your books directly from the Kobo store onto the reader without going through ADE.

I still prefer to use Calibre. But it's nice to know you don't have to plug it into a computer if you want to pick up a book. There's also the "Public Library" option built-in. I haven't used that in a while, but I think it still works.

I hope that helps.
toki08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Which Sony Readers do you have coming for the kids? Are they new, used, or refurbished?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which Sony Readers do you have coming for the kids? Are they new, used, or refurbished?
I have a T1, and a prs 300 both NIB.

JJ
Old 12-19-2015, 04:16 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post

JJ
They may have an unopened box, but the PRS-300 in particular is probably going to have a battery that's in a pretty dire state, if it works at all. The average life expectancy of a lithium battery is around 5 years; the PRS-300 was released in 2009. Even the T1 is going to have a 4-year-old battery in it. What on Earth made you buy such ancient devices?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2015, 04:22 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post

JJ
So one kid gets an old slow small 300 while the other gets a T1? Good luck with that.

You do know that the 300 has an old version of RMDSK that does not support full justification and it's not going to be a nice to read with. So please do not give the 300 to anyone. It's old, it's slow, the screen is small, and the software is rather old.

And as Harry has mentioned, the batteries could be an issue.

You'd have been better off getting two Kobo Glo HDs for the kids.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:19 AM   #7
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They may have an unopened box, but the PRS-300 in particular is probably going to have a battery that's in a pretty dire state, if it works at all. The average life expectancy of a lithium battery is around 5 years; the PRS-300 was released in 2009. Even the T1 is going to have a 4-year-old battery in it. What on Earth made you buy such ancient devices?
I'm currently reading on a T1, my wife has a 950, my daughter has a T1 we've had no issues with them, they may be ancient but they do what we want which is to read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So one kid gets an old slow small 300 while the other gets a T1? Good luck with that.

You do know that the 300 has an old version of RMDSK that does not support full justification and it's not going to be a nice to read with. So please do not give the 300 to anyone. It's old, it's slow, the screen is small, and the software is rather old.

And as Harry has mentioned, the batteries could be an issue.

You'd have been better off getting two Kobo Glo HDs for the kids.
I think a 300 is a good first reader if he doesn't use it I'm not out a lot, the older more responsible kid gets the T1. If I find they use them and enjoy them I will gladly upgrade to more modern devices. Right now I've invested less than half the cost of a glo HD to test the waters.

JJ